OMG Shock horror

mrs-mac

Ben & Jerrys addict
I've just rang Virgin to see how much it would be to upgrade our flights next April for the four of us and its nearly £2000!!!! :scared1:

As we think that is way too much to pay does anyone know if they offer upgrades on check-in day?

What upgrade are you looking for mrs mac? from Economy to what?

I think they will probably still offer upgrades on the day (if they have availability) but I wouldn't assume it will be any cheaper to be honest!

They do if they have any free seats however April next year is a really busy time with Easter being slap bang in the middle. Always worth asking though.

Most can be upgraded on the day, but I doubt it'll be any cheaper. When we went on honeymoon with Virgin Holidays in June, we asked at the check-in how much it was to upgrade from Premium Economy to Upper Class, and wasn't any cheaper than if we'd done it when we booked the holiday. If the plane is really undersold with loads of seats left, then they might try and sell off upgrades at a lower price, but its rare to find a plane that empty.

If you are thinking about going from Economy to PE, then I really wouldnt bother for that price (or anything near it). I paid around £500 to upgrade the whole family (4) to PE for our return trip (we got back last week) when they offered me a special deal in May.

It was probably just about worth that (though ONLY just). I didnt find the seats any more comfortable than economy, and although we had acres of room ( we were in the bulkheads and my feet couldnt touch the wall) I had pretty much the same room in the economy bulkhead. Staff were slightly more attentive, but only slightly. It was an advantage being able to bypass the queue at DTD, but we still had a 50 min wait at MCO to check our car seats in. Similarly, at LGW, we got our luggage first, but then had to wait 20 mins for the buggy, so no advantage gained either end!!

My personal view is that PE is worth no more than £150 each way, NOT the £300 each way that they charge as "rack rate". You certainly do not get £300 worth of perks in my opinion.

I think there are better things to spend money on!! Lots of folks told me that once I had been PE I would never want to fly economy and having now experienced PE, I wouldnt feel I was missing out on a great deal to be honest!! In fact, I would probably be feeling smug I HADNT wasted £600 per person, round trip for what amounted to a thimble full of champers, 2 cups of water, a smiley trolley dolly and a few minutes advantage on the luggage!!!

Allie,
you are talking from the position of someone who always gets bulkhead seats in economy, so to the average economy passenger, the PE seats will be much better.
Looking at your past posts, you do seem to have a downer on Virgin, maybe that colours your views a little bit? :) :)

I thought Virgin PE was upstairs 2x2 - so what is this "bulkheads" thing referred to ?

Certainly when I have travelled PE there was considerable more room than economy and it was well worth the money.

It's funny how people like to spend their money on different things, isn't it?

I travelled in PE once and although it was nice, for me it was categorically not worth £1800 or so for my family (we travel in peak season).

It's only 2 lots of 8/9 hours out of a three week stay for me and I would rather spend my money on other things :)

Red-Snapper said:
I thought Virgin PE was upstairs 2x2 - so what is this "bulkheads" thing referred to ?

Certainly when I have travelled PE there was considerable more room than economy and it was well worth the money.
It is 2x2, but there are some seats (by the upstairs exit) which have more space - these are the bulkhead seats. These have to be occupied during take-off and landing (not sure why). Last trip, DH was asked if he could move and sit in one of the bulk heads (just for take-off and landing) as it was empty. He was happy - he got £10 worth of duty vouchers just for that (and got to escape the children!) :)

I agree that there is considerable more space than in economy. I also find the seats much more comfortable - particularly with the retractable foot rest. The side holdalls are extremely handy as well.

:wizard:

the gatwick and manchester aircraft also have a PE section downstairs, between the Upper class and Economy sections, rows 81 and 82. Row 70 upstairs has a bulkhead (toilet wall) in front of them.

With regards to if its worth it, then if you are tall, yes!
One time we flew economy, the seat pitch on this particular airline was just about 30" and being over 6 feet tall, both of us suffered from backache after 8 hours, this cut into our holiday as the first few days were bad with back pain.

Obi Wan Kenobi said:
Allie,
you are talking from the position of someone who always gets bulkhead seats in economy, so to the average economy passenger, the PE seats will be much better.
Looking at your past posts, you do seem to have a downer on Virgin, maybe that colours your views a little bit? :) :)

Of course, there is more room in PE over a standard economy seat, however, witnessing the space the people behind me had in PE, it was not acres more. A few inches tops. People behind them,even less, as the ones behind us had reclined :D . Obviously a few inches to some tall people would be a God send, but my personal view is, its a lot of money to pay for not much more!

I dont have a particular downer on Virgin Atlantic (VH maybe a different matter :D). If you had read my Xmas 04 report, you will see I was full of praise for them. They werent quite as good this year, but still acceptable. Flights were near enough on time, and check in was painless both ends (apart from the car seat fiasco at MCO!) crew were all very nice. I dont think Virgin are some "Elite" airline though or by any means the be all and end all of carriers to Florida. I have had plenty of great flights from other companies, including charters, which is maybe why I cant get too excited about Virgin's "mediocre" service.

The biggest advantage with VA, is the choice of flights and the fact you can tailor make your holiday to the exact number of days. They are also pretty reliable. There, I said something good about them!!

Seat pitch difference is 38" compared to 31"

though I have always said that there should be a minimum standard by the Airline authorities that the minimum pitch on any aircraft should be 38"

We are not cattle and should not be treated as such. If it costs more then so be it.

We flew PE both ways in September. We had selected 80H&K and I have to say they were fantastic.

Not only did we have a lot more room, because they are at the back upstairs and there are no seats opposite, it was much quieter, and service was amazing. We have requested the same seats for our outward flight next year but are splashing out on UC to fly home.

Is it worth the money? To us yes - you can't take it with you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter