OMG - One of my DD's passed out this morning.

WOW! That is scary. I have passed out myself and will never ever forget that feeling - and it happened 28+ years ago! ::yes::

Like others stated, I would bring her into the Dr to get checked out. I know one poster mentioned thyroid. I have issues with mine, but never blacked out because of it. Quite honestly - I don't know much about it. It is surely one thing to consider though. I could also be as much as over working while dancing and lack of food. Probably not a good combo :) Have you noticed if your DD has been going to the bathroom a lot more than usual, increased thirst, lost weight in a short period of time, blurred vision or a history of Diabetes in your family? I ask this because these are typical symptoms of Diabetes. Others mentioned low blood sugar and Diabetes. Changes are though, if you pass out and don't know you have diabetes, your blood sugar is going to be high - not low. Here is a link from the ADA site with a little info. on Diabetes. http://www.diabetes.org/pre-diabetes/faq.jsp (I've been a type 1 Diabetic for 28 years).

Then again....it could be so many other things or nothing? I would definatley get her in and have her checked out. Good luck to her! :hug:

You're making me wonder if I should go get tested for pre-diabetes or something now.:scared: Because that's EXACTLY what happens when I don't eat enough..at first I'm kind of fuzzy and it's hard to think clearly. As time goes on and I don't eat, I become irritable and shaky. Eventually, I do pass out if I don't eat and this never happened before I had DS.

You might have developed gestational diabetes while pregnant that went undiagnosed. It sometimes happens with the extra baby weight. I noticed from your ticker that you are dropping a few pounds. It may naturally go away when you lose enough and keep it off.

There are some drugstores that have days where they do glucose testing. It's not a complicated process. :)

another fainter here as child.....doctor determined it was low blood sugar. Bring her in for a check up.

You're making me wonder if I should go get tested for pre-diabetes or something now.:scared: Because that's EXACTLY what happens when I don't eat enough..at first I'm kind of fuzzy and it's hard to think clearly. As time goes on and I don't eat, I become irritable and shaky. Eventually, I do pass out if I don't eat and this never happened before I had DS.

It would also be a good idea to carry some protein snacks around with you to sustain you until you can eat properly. (I think everyone should, with all the running around we do, we can't always get to food when our bodies would like us to.)

When people are low in blood sugar they will naturally crave sugary foods, because that's what their body knows they need. Depending on how low your blood sugar has dipped, it is actually better to eat protein or protein with some carbs, as sugar alone would spike your glucose levels and then drop it just as quick. Too many of these spikes, eventually blows the pancreas, which makes insulin to handle the sudden flow of sugar. That's when diabetes becomes irreversible.

Always carry either a baggie of nuts, or those individual packs of peanut butter crackers, and or a few sweet hard candies with you at ALL times, for those sugar dips. (Keep them in a drawer at work, or in the glove compartment of the car.) Until you get properly diagnosed, you just can't walk around with nothing to munch on during those dips.

As you begin to recognise the more subtle signs of when your blood sugar level is dropping, if you catch a dip coming right away, you eat the nuts. The protein will counteract the dip by giving slower burning, sustained fuel. If you start feeling fuzzy & irritable, words hard to come by, then you eat the peanut butter crackers because you need both the carbs from the crackers (to level your blood sugar more quickly) and the protein of the peanut butter to level off a dip you would normally get from the crackers alone.

If you are really trembly, feeling shaky, weak in the knees, dizzy, you need the candy right away or a little juice, before you also eat some protein. :)

Also, never eat a carb/sugar by itself. You can have a protein alone, but not a carb alone.

Please get her checked. December 7th, my DD (12) passed out going into the bathroom, just like you described. I did take her to the hospital $7,000.00 in hospital bills later, she had severe strept and a case of Rheumatic fever. (They did check her blood sugar first.) We were very fortunate that there isn't any heart damage, but she does have a heart murmur. (Just got the bills today, we only have to pay $30.00 of it as the insurance picked up the rest.)

My 16 yr old son fainted on us.
I was scarred too.
He also had a mild seizure when he fainted.
We took him to his pediatrician the next day.
The pediatrician asked him if he had been dizzy before and he admitted that he did.
They saw on his charts that he grew very fast in the last 4 months.
They found nothing wrong and said he needs to keep hydrated.

The pediatrician told us boys as well as girls faint and a certain percentage will have a seizure when they faint.

Scary.

That's what they told my parents when I was 13 years old. Turns out that it happened again and they wanted to blow it off as low BS from not eating....insisted they do more testing and turns out I had Epilepsy....am 51 and have had it since age 13. I would get dizzy and have petit Mal seizures but just thought it was dizziness

Be sure if it happens again dont blow it off. This is not to scare you and it may be nothing but better to be safe than sorry. I am also a nurse.

There is dizzy and there is dizzy.

You might have developed gestational diabetes while pregnant that went undiagnosed. It sometimes happens with the extra baby weight. I noticed from your ticker that you are dropping a few pounds. It may naturally go away when you lose enough and keep it off.

I was tested for gestational diabetes when I was preggers with DS and the test came back negative. I do remember passing out a couple of times at work while pregnant..yeah that was fun. I was standing at my register one minute and on the floor the next with no idea of how I got there.:rolleyes:

Since I am a SAHM now, I make sure not to go too long w/o some kind of snack,esp if I feel like my blood sugar is getting low. I can always tell when it's crashing because I start to get shaky. I don't let it happen if I can help it because I know how bad I feel if it happens.

I was tested for gestational diabetes when I was preggers with DS and the test came back negative.
:thumbsup2 :cheer2: :thumbsup2 :cool1:

Since I am a SAHM now, I make sure not to go too long w/o some kind of snack,esp if I feel like my blood sugar is getting low. I can always tell when it's crashing because I start to get shaky. I don't let it happen if I can help it because I know how bad I feel if it happens.

I posted some healthy protein carb snacks over on the current Snacks thread.

You might be interested in also signing up for the Yahoo Group: Newbies2SouthBeachDiet . You don't have to post there, but in the files & archives there is a summary of a lot of "Snack Ideas" to keep around. Even if you are doing a different diet program, the assortment of snack ideas are great.

South Beach Diet was never intended to be a weight reducing fad diet. It was developed by a cardiologist (heart doctor) who was trying to get his patients to live till their next check up by unclogging their arteries, lowering their cholesterol & balancing their blood sugar levels. So he is big on keeping blood sugar stabilized and eating smaller portions with lots of healthy snacking in between. :)

I'm trying my best to eat healthier, although I don't always succeed (see my WISH journal). :) I've struggled for a long time with my weight and it's just not getting any easier the older I get.:sad:

[QUOTE="Got Disney";29801585]That's what they told my parents when I was 13 years old. Turns out that it happened again and they wanted to blow it off as low BS from not eating....insisted they do more testing and turns out I had Epilepsy....am 51 and have had it since age 13. I would get dizzy and have petit Mal seizures but just thought it was dizziness

Be sure if it happens again dont blow it off. This is not to scare you and it may be nothing but better to be safe than sorry. I am also a nurse.

There is dizzy and there is dizzy.[/QUOTE]

We were really concerned too that our pediatrician wasn't taking it seriously. He offered to do more testing, but he told us to wait and see if he had more fainting/seizure spells.
Luckily he didn't.
He had to make sure he drank his 8 glasses of water a day.
He grew from 5'4 to 6'1 in 4 months.
The pediatrician said the blood wasn't pumping from his heart to his legs to his head fast enough. This is why he had to stay hydrated.

My DD has fainted twice in the past 6 months or so.
Once standing combing her hair, the other time she was in the shower. (that time when she fell she actually snapped the faucet off the wall)

We too were concerned that our pediatrician wasnt taking it seriously enough...
But shes had a full work up, and they've told us that it is probably caused by a combination of low blood pressure & low blood sugar in the mornings.
Now she takes it a little slower in the morning, and eats a couple of saltines if shes feeling light headed.
The last time it happened was right after Thanksgiving....so I guess its working.

She's been fine since it happened. No problems this morning either. Thanks for all the replies. :goodvibes

Melsmice, I have to tell you, you made me heart stop for an instant. I tend to scan the titles of posts and I misread it as 'passed away' instead of 'passed out'. :scared: I am SO glad she is ok!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter