• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OMG-I have become a hotel/resort snob!!

I hear ya Mary Ann. I have 2 DSs, 17 and 16, that need companions who will support their DVC add-on-itis!!

Karen

:wave:

We recently cancelled POP for the first night of our December stayed, now we're staying in a BWV studio for all 5 nights. Part of it was the fact that we're using ME, will not have a car and don't want to move, but part of it is that we really want to stay at BWV.

Bobbi :banana:

I guess we're raising DVC resort snobs. 5 yo DD is used to staying in one or two bedroom DVC villas. So last October my DH had a conference at the JW Marriott at Grande Lakes and DD, 14 month old DS and I decided to come along too. We pull up to the beautiful JW Marriott and DD is very excited. After we check in, the bell hop loads our luggage and gives her a ride on the cart and shows us the amenities of the hotel. DD is loving it! They have an awesome pool, gorgeous lobby and restaurants, a kids center. He introduces us to the conceirge who helps pick out activities for DD to participate in and shows me where the spa is and what is offered etc.... We are all thinking what a great week we are in for!!!!
....Then he takes us up the elevator to our room opens the door and proudly opens the curtain to show us the beautiful view from the 19th floor and I hear DD say, "Where's the kitchen?" "Mommy, this is small, where is the other room?" We're all sleeping in this same room?" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We did manage to sweat it out in our JW Marriott (and we really did love this hotel) room, but boy did we miss the space of DVC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would have loved to see the look on that bell hops face.

I guess we are in the same boat also. We have come to appreciate the standards set by DVC accommodations for sure. We do go into our trip early and stay at the All Stars for a couple of nights. Especially if driving. This way, it helps to not waste a night of points since we are usually tired after the ride anyway.

DW and I used to go to Fredericksburg, VA a lot for short trips. There was this really nice Holiday Inn that we used to stay at that had an indoor pool and a really good restaurant. We thought we were in high cotton staying there. The last trip there we stayed with the kids. I think Ramada had purchased it, still basically the same place. We had owned DVC for at least 1 year. At that point in time is when we became DVC snobs.

We are in the same boat. We stayed moderate twice and while it was nice, it wasn't DVC. We use all our points each year and even pay for some cash nights at a non-DVC resort--this year is for weekend nights at AKL. Gotta save on those weekend points!

Add us to the resort snob list. Our first bunch of Disney trips we stayed value and when we moved up to moderate we were in our glory. Once we joined DVC and stayed in a 1 and 2 bedroom that was it! Now if we stay at another resort our first night to save the weekend points it has to be a Deluxe resort.

Me thinks we have created a monster in our 7 yo DD. We've gone beyond DVC spoiling us for other resorts. We decided to try SSR for a night on one of our trips last year. Beautiful resort. Of course we pull into the resort and park by the Carriage House to check in, and our DD proceeds to ask why the man isn't coming to our car to take our bags....like at the Beach Club and Wilderness Lodge.

That is too funny - DVC Classifieds! :rotfl2:

Our two ds' (10 and 12) were just talking the other day about wanting to get married at WDW (we watched the food network show), and one of them said, "Well, we'll have to find a wife who understands the magic". The other one said, "I don't get it? How could anyone NOT love Disney?"

Add me to the 'snobs' list. Just returned from a short stay in Heidelberg, Germany and were 'upgraded' to an Executive room in the Holiday Inn. This room had no view and no A/C (it was 90F outside). The area itself was very pretty but I just couldn't get beyond the fact that if I had my nice DVC accommodation to return to, I'd be so much happier.

I'll continue to put my main vacation spending into DVC for the forseeable future ;)

Since joining DVC and using it, I've compared every place that I've stayed with it. DVC wins everytime.

Add me (proudly) to the list as well.

I vaguely recall spending 5 days at ASM about 9 years ago (we became DVC'ers in '98) with then 13 year old DD and 3 year old DS while my hubby was out of town for job training.

In retrospect, I'm not sure how we made it through those 5 days in such close quarters--now they even fight over space in a 2BR. I guess ignorance WAS bliss. Now we're all just spoiled :rolleyes1

My 'adopted niece' is getting married in September at WDW. Our wedding gift is the use of 100 of our points whenever they decide. Their friends are already volunteering (fighting?) to keep them company next spring when they come down to WDW again.

Not only did she find a guy who 'gets it', they both think it's the best gift idea ever. I guess we need to add them to the list too :banana:

Next month when we come to OKW we decided to come a day early and go to Tampa first. When I looked for hotels near Busch gardens I was only looking at "suite" type hotels.

Plus we're booking a DCL trip next October and I found myself looking at the categories that had "suite" like space.

We take a trip to Gatlinburg Tn. every year and I find myself trying to find DVC like rooms more often now, of course there are not any(right?) :cool1:

Not only have we become hotel snobs, but we are raising them also. My children don't even want to hear we are not in a 2 bedroom. My son is constantly trying to push a grandvilla for the 5 of us...

JFrey4240 said:
...this year is for weekend nights at AKL. Gotta save on those weekend points!
Just be careful! We went from a 1BR OKW to a savannah view at AKL. As much as we loved the AKL, we sure missed our 1BR! We decided that if we add a weekend again, it'll have to be the first part of our trip. The last two nights in a GASP! "regular" hotel room were horrible!! (Even if we did have a view of the animals--although we really didn't see that many :sad2: )

We, have just became DVC owners but we have stayed in Deluxes for the last 6 visits. We had our first stay last month ,in a Studio ,at VWL and what I noticed was sooooo much better was the bed. We were so comfortable! I had not slept good at AKL or WL. I can't wait to stay. in my 2 bedroom, this Oct. I won't know what to do with all the space.

We started out "poorly..." Our first two DVC nights were in a BWV GV... Then split the extended family up into 3 1BRs. High expectations only go higher! Next trip was in a 1BR, then we stayed in a BCV 2BR. (Family of 4 plus one on the way). Can't see going back to a 1BR, and once the baby is here it'll be out of the question!

Yep, we're completely ruined. My husband and I just spent a really great weekend in Chicago and stayed in a 'Deluxe' room overlooking the Chicago River in a 4-star hotel. All we could think of was how small the room was! We love the Boardwalk!!!

-Michelle

When we got married, my parents decided to stay at The Hard Rock. Although they were on the concierge level our studio was much nicer. Her parents stayed at CBR, where we stayed in 04, and we never realized how small those rooms were.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter