OMG. Disney Has Reached New Lows

Well, I will never own any AP. ;)
Perhaps an answer could be offering two different kinds of APs. Consumer gets to pick which one they want. They could have different terms of use, but in general one would better serve those who come infrequently, but stay a good length versus those who come more often for just a day or two. Just thinking out loud.

Like I said earlier, I don't have a dog in this race. It's just surprising to me what OP came across.

Let's hope they don't try to "fix" any of this.
It was the "fix" called FP+ that caused the current inequities.
Nobody knows what fresh havoc could be wreaked by more "fixes."

Yes, but imo that limit should be ten, not seven. It should match the longest standard ticket available. I know there are longer tickets but they're specialty tickets.

I also wouldn't be at all surprised to see no more APs in a couple of years. They've already done away with the no-expirey ticket.

10 days would be fair as that would match what off siters can do with regular ticket media.

As far as doing away with APs, I don't see if happening at all.

You mentioned the no-expiration option. To my knowledge, I believe the other theme parks have tickets that do expire. So doing away with it did not make Disney stand out.

Getting rid of an AP would be very problematic. Other APs at other parks are cheaper anyway. But they still exist. Disney makes then to away, that would be a problem.

10 days would be fair as that would match what off siters can do with regular ticket media.
That's a better way to say what I was trying to put into words :-) I don't have an AP. I almost bought one, but decided to get a 10day and then upgrade when I get there in order to make FPs.
Now I'm pretty sure I may not even get that AP. I still don't know for sure. But I'll tell you this: I don't have any other trips planned. Getting an AP would cause me to plan other trips. I think Disney needs to treat the disparity between the AP and the 10 day myw.

As far as doing away with APs, I don't see if happening at all.

You mentioned the no-expiration option. To my knowledge, I believe the other theme parks have tickets that do expire. So doing away with it did not make Disney stand out.

Getting rid of an AP would be very problematic. Other APs at other parks are cheaper anyway. But they still exist. Disney makes then to away, that would be a problem.

I really hope your right. This isn't coming from anywhere but my own gut feeling. Hardly scientific :) But I can't shake it. I think they could weather whatever problem it would cause. I doubt if they'll ever do away with the blackout types of resident APs.

Having AP's doesn't make you a better Disney customer. It just means you anticipate going to the parks enough days during the year that buying an AP is more cost effective than buying regular tickets. If you're staying onsite with an AP you still get the 60 day window and length of stay advantage. If you're not staying on-site you're treated like everyone else staying off-site. So wheres the inequity for AP holders :confused3?

Last edited:
I don't think there's any way they're doing away with the AP. For out of state, it certainly encourages additional trips. We knew we'd make 2 trips when we bought the AP. The 3rd one that is for this June would not have happened had we not had them. That temptation to get just one more in before they expire is almost irresistible. We justify the 3rd trip by saying it's like getting in for "free"- and it is, but we wouldn't have spent the 5-7k that it takes for the resort, meal, and all the other expenses that come along with the "free" tickets if we didn't have the AP. APs are money makers for Disney and I don't think anyone need worry that they'll do away with them anytime soon.

Having AP's doesn't make you a better Disney customer. It just means you anticipate going to the parks enough days during the year that buying an AP is more cost effective than buying regular tickets. If you're staying onsite with an AP you still get the 60 day window and length of stay advantage. If you're not staying on-site you're treated like a everyone else staying off-site. So wheres the inequity for AP holders :confused3?
In the case of the op, the inequity is that if he were staying onsite with an 8 day ticket, he'd be able to book 8 days of FPs, the one for the day before his onsite stay would be at 30 days out, but he could still do it. But because he is onsite with an AP instead of an 8 day ticket, he's only allowed to book 7 days. That doesn't seem right to me....
I don't run into this problem because I'm always either on or off site ... When I'm off it's never more than a week ... And when I stay for 16 days at AKL in August, I'll be able to book all 16 days when my 60 day window opens.... Which means that I can really get anything at any time for my final week since the number of people who have access to those days as far in advance as me is extremely small. Doesn't really impact anyone in my case ... Since A&E was one and done last summer and if I book 7DMT it would just be once or twice

In the case of the op, the inequity is that if he were staying onsite with an 8 day ticket, he'd be able to book 8 days of FPs, the one for the day before his onsite stay would be at 30 days out, but he could still do it. But becaus he is onsite with an AP I stead of an 8 day ticket, he's only allowed to book 7 days.

No, if the OP were on site the entire trip, they'd be able to book their entire stay at the 60 day mark.

No, if the OP were on site the entire trip, they'd be able to book their entire stay at the 60 day mark.
I understand that, but if the op were only staying onsite for 6 days and had an 8 day ticket instead of an AP, he'd still be able to book the two additional days at the 30 day mark. That gives an 8 day ticket an advantage over an AP ... With all other things being equal

That's a better way to say what I was trying to put into words :-) I don't have an AP. I almost bought one, but decided to get a 10day and then upgrade when I get there in order to make FPs.
Now I'm pretty sure I may not even get that AP. I still don't know for sure. But I'll tell you this: I don't have any other trips planned. Getting an AP would cause me to plan other trips. I think Disney needs to treat the disparity between the AP and the 10 day myw.

I really hope your right. This isn't coming from anywhere but my own gut feeling. Hardly scientific :) But I can't shake it. I think they could weather whatever problem it would cause. I doubt if they'll ever do away with the blackout types of resident APs.

As many Floridians have it, I think it would cause a back lash.

APs are also a tool for getting resorts and parks full during slow times. Hence all those codes and special offers. Yes, Disney still has slow times even if it doesn't feel like it. But to the glory of others, if the AP goes away, there will be more.

I understand that, but if the op were only staying onsite for 6 days and had an 8 day ticket instead of an AP, he'd still be able to book the two additional days at the 30 day mark. That gives an 8 day ticket an advantage over an AP ... With all other things being equal

I don't know. I went last Feb and booked in December (staying onsite) for everyone in my party including one person with an AP. Although she already had 5 days' worth for a family trip in Dec, I was able to book a full trip's worth for her in Feb. It definitely made at least 10 days' worth of APs over multiple months, but she was staying onsite both times. I don't know if it's different for Florida APs, but that's how it worked for her. Went off without a hitch. My understanding is that the onsite stay overrides the AP stuff. But if you already have 7 days of FP+ and NO resort res, the system will not allow you to book more until the number drops to below 7.

If the
I don't know. I went last Feb and booked in December (staying onsite) for everyone in my party including one person with an AP. Although she already had 5 days' worth for a family trip in Dec, I was able to book a full trip's worth for her in Feb. It definitely made at least 10 days' worth of APs over multiple months, but she was staying onsite both times. I don't know if it's different for Florida APs, but that's how it worked for her. Went off without a hitch. My understanding is that the onsite stay overrides the AP stuff. But if you already have 7 days of FP+ and NO resort res, the system will not allow you to book more until the number drops to below 7.
number of FPs was below 7 each time and was separated by more than 30 days, I think that was a different situation. I think I could book 7 for myself with my AP for next week and then 10 for an onsite stay six weeks from now....

No, the two additional days are also available at 60 days (60 days from each of them).
I got a single day on site, and I have 10 day tickets. My onsite day and the next were available at 60days prior to the onsite day. The other 8 days were available 60 days prior to each of them (a rolling-60 day mark).

No, the two additional days are also available at 60 days (60 days from each of them).
I got a single day on site, and I have 10 day tickets. My onsite day and the next were available at 60days prior to the onsite day. The other 8 days were available 60 days prior to each of them (a rolling-60 day mark).
Ok - but that still shows the advantage of a multi day ticket over an AP. You were able to book 10 days at 60 days out with only one day onsite - while the Op was staying 6 nights and was not allowed to book 8 days of FP...

Ok - but that still shows the advantage of a multi day ticket over an AP. You were able to book 10 days at 60 days out with only one day onsite - while the Op was staying 6 nights and was not allowed to book 8 days of FP...
Absolutely! I just wanted to correct the misconception about the "other two days needing to get FPs at 30 days".

It's my firm belief that they should at least get 10 day's worth of advanced FPs to be on par with 10-day tickets.

Other than there is a loophole that allows you to book at a rolling 60 day for days beyond your stay, this is true. How long that loophole exists no one knows. And it should be noted that there is a huge difference between a full 60 day booking window and a rolling 60 day window. That particular point is irritating to many I think who don't book a single night to get benefits afforded to full on site stays, but that's another argument entirely.

Regardless, the 8 day ticket holder is paying more per day over a course of a year than the AP holder is. How much more depends on how many times the AP holder visits. I don't think it's unreasonable that the general ticket holder has an advantage. I understand that there are people who buy an AP strictly for 1 trip, but it's either a case of a very long trip or just 1 person buying the AP. In general, most AP's visit more than once a year.

I think the idea that somehow AP holders are entitled to equal benefits or more benefits than others because they're "loyal" to Disney is wrong. People buy AP's in order to give Disney less of their money. Loyalty has little to do with it.

It's not impossible for the OP to get benefits equal to the on site guest- they just have to stay on site.

Other than there is a loophole that allows you to book at a rolling 60 day for days beyond your stay, this is true. How long that loophole exists no one knows. And it should be noted that there is a huge difference between a full 60 day booking window and a rolling 60 day window. That particular point is irritating to many I think who don't book a single night to get benefits afforded to full on site stays, but that's another argument entirely.

Regardless, the 8 day ticket holder is paying more per day over a course of a year than the AP holder is. How much more depends on how many times the AP holder visits. I don't think it's unreasonable that the general ticket holder has an advantage. I understand that there are people who buy an AP strictly for 1 trip, but it's either a case of a very long trip or just 1 person buying the AP. In general, most AP's visit more than once a year.

I think the idea that somehow AP holders are entitled to equal benefits or more benefits than others because they're "loyal" to Disney is wrong. People buy AP's in order to give Disney less of their money. Loyalty has little to do with it.

It's not impossible for the OP to get benefits equal to the on site guest- they just have to stay on site.
I agree with some of your take and disagree with some.
By your reasoning, if the 8 day ticket holder deserves an advantage over the AP because they're paying more per day, then perhaps we should let single day ticket holders book 90 days out ... Since they're paying way more than anyone else.
I don't think AP's should have an extra advantage, by I don't think they should get less than the next guy ....

7 days worth of prebooking is a reasonable number IMO. And then they will bump that up if you stay onsite and give you the 60 day window. I think if the two prebooking entitlements added, it would be better for APs obviously, but Disney obviously thinks it's fine. They went through the trouble of changing the AP prebooking window from 60 to 30 so they are thinking about this stuff, it's not random. And you can still enter the park 365 days for the year with SDFPs I guess. It just seems crazy when you read a story like the OPs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter