OMG! American Girl Doll stuff is soo expensive!

mefordis

If you can dream it, you can do it.
My almost 6 year old is now into American Girl and wants a doll and accessories for her 6th birthday. We are going to the store on Saturday, the day of her birthday, to pick up her doll.

I agreed to get her a doll and some accessories and she has gone through the catalog an picked some stuff out.

Holy cow! This stuff is expensive! How much have you spent so far on AG stuff for your kids?

my almost 6 year old has several bittys and this year she has been campaigning hard for a just like her doll. I knew the prices, but it still was a bit of a sting when I went to the store last week and bought it. she is going to be THRILLED christmas morning. I just got a couple of different outfits, no accessories at this point. figure she can hit the grandparents up for birthdays. lol.

one thing I know (as well as anyone can know anything) is that she will love and play with her. she loooooves dolls. so that helps take the sting out, too. and she knows if santa does bring this doll, she won't be getting much else, and she is a-ok with that.

so to answer your question, this year we have 1 doll, 2 outfits, plus the add-on sweater and mitten set ($16 if you spend $50 in the store). total was around $178 I think. eek!

We got the knock off stuff at Shopko or Target for the most part. The outfits were between $5-10 and all the stuff was about 1/4th of the price. Grandma got the real AM Girl stuff that dd wanted so that was nice for us.

That seems like a good idea, getting the real doll but the knock offs for clothes and accessories. I have a dd6, I don't think she would notice:)

Thankfully my girls were never into american dolls cause dh would flip over the cost. He thinks build a bear is bad:lmao:

We got the knock off stuff at Shopko or Target for the most part. The outfits were between $5-10 and all the stuff was about 1/4th of the price. Grandma got the real AM Girl stuff that dd wanted so that was nice for us.

Best advice you'll get is this, I believe the Target line is called "our generation" and includes the clothing and other accessories for a good value.

First of all, hide those catalogues from your daughter. Nothing good has ever come from a little girl having access to the official catalogue. :upsidedow

I highly recommend eBay for the clothing. There are seamstresses who hand make the most darling outfits... and for a fraction of the cost of the mass-produced official clothing.

I've bought beautiful flannel nightgowns with ribbons and lace, jeans and sweatshirt outfits, taffeta party dresses and even soccer outfits on eBay. It's nice to support these moms/grandmas who make these items by hand. :thumbsup2

marshalls and tj maxx also sell a line of girls dressy dresses with coordinating coll dresses that fit american girl dolls

Yes, AG dolls & accessories are expensive but so are boy things--have you checked the price of Lego building sets lately? Keep your receipts; if you ever need to return/exchange items through American Girl you'll need proof of purchase.

The OG stuff from Target is cute but the shoes won't fit AG dolls. The clothing might be too tight too; at least, the clothing didn't fit our AG dolls. This info could be out of date though, as we bought our OG items several years ago.

OP, be sure to pick up an American Girl wire wig brush; you'll be glad you did as that will help the dolls hair stay nicer. Any plastic will ruin the synthetic wig. Or, go to a beauty supply store & pick up a wire wig brush there.

Have a good Christmas!

How much have you spent so far on AG stuff for your kids?

I am not going to add it up, because I would pass out.:rotfl:
Let's just say that I am sitting here with all the Christmas presents ready to be wrapped and there are A LOT of AG boxes. And Lego, too.:thumbsup2

I agree that the prices are very high (wish I had thought to hide the catalogue from DD).

My DD8 has decided that she wants an AG, but being in Canada the shipping, duty and taxes would be insane!!:scared1: Fortunately, my mom (who winters in Florida) is coming home for Christmas. So, we had a Just Like Me doll and some accessories shipped to her and she will be bringing them back.

I told DD that the dolls are WAY too expensive and if she wants one she will have to save 1/2 of the $ herself. Santa is going to be quite a hero Christmas morning when she opens her doll!

Try to think of the cost in terms of cost per hour of play. Most girls who really want AG things really love them and play with them a LOT. I think, when looked at in the cost per hour of play mode, AG and Legos are the cheapest toys we own:thumbsup2

I just ordered the bunk bed from Target for $30!!! AG bunk bed would be over $100. She wants the wheel chair from AG and some other accessories (she likes playing hospital/doctor!)

Thanks for the replies. I know she will get hours of play from this. She has a great imagination!

We have avoided that particular money-sucking vortex. I wish we had also dodged the Webkinz and Littlest Pet Shop bullets as well. If my girls had more than a passing interest in dolls we might have spent the money. They both have Bitty Babies (gifts from an aunt) but they prefer animal toys.

My girls are done with American Girls now, but when they were into them I would regularly go to the online site and just check the sale and clearance section. A couple of times a year I would order a bunch at much better then normal prices. (at least the quality is good) We did buy some of the target stuff, but mostly accesories, not clothes. The horse and the doll/clothes case come to mind.
Donna

Try to think of the cost in terms of cost per hour of play. Most girls who really want AG things really love them and play with them a LOT. I think, when looked at in the cost per hour of play mode, AG and Legos are the cheapest toys we own:thumbsup2

My daughter has 3 dolls- one was a hand me down from a friend of mine, she got one for christmas and bought the other one herself--didn't really play much with them but would change their clothes...by 9 1/2 she has totally outgrown them and doesn't bother with them at all.

Are you thinking of selling them on ebay? Or keeping them as her keepsakes?

My daughter has 3 dolls- one was a hand me down from a friend of mine, she got one for christmas and bought the other one herself--didn't really play much with them but would change their clothes...by 9 1/2 she has totally outgrown them and doesn't bother with them at all.

Yep, same boat here. DD is asking Santa for another doll and Julie's bed which is $118. :scared1:

Luckily, DD has inherited a ton of stuff from my niece who is now 17. I did break down and buy the bed b/c I figured if she was only asking Santa for those 2 things, I better get one of them. However, she will be getting a lot less presents under the tree this year. I refused to get her a doll b/c she has 2 of her own, bought by my cousin and aunt. She has inherited a few more dolls.

I figure once she is finished with the American girl doll phase, at least the stuff will resell at a great price on craigslist or ebay. Hopefully, she takes care of it.

I agree keep checking the clearance section on the American girl site. Lately, there hasn't been much there, but in the past, I've bought quite a few outfits for "better" prices.

You might want to try craigslist and ebay too. Someone was selling the bathtub for $20 which retails for $55 the other day. I was too late though, she sold it right away.

Good luck!

Well, DD12 has kind of outgrown AG, but she still has her dolls and furniture displayed in her room. She had a Bitty Baby with a bed and stroller, Bitty Twins, with a stroller, plus clothes for all three. She also has 9 (yes, 9 :blush:) AG dolls, a bed for each, plus many, many clothes and accessories. I don't even want to try to add up how much it must total! Though, I must be honest, and say that we didn't purchase all of it. She is the only grandchild on my side, so of course, my parents spoil her, and the AG stuff just always made the perfect gifts for them to give her! She also saved up for a doll and a couple of other things, and paid for them herself. But, you know, she loved them and played with them all so much, whatever we spent was well worth it. She took great care of them too, so hopefully someday we can hand them down to her daughter.

I am not going to add it up, because I would pass out.:rotfl:
Let's just say that I am sitting here with all the Christmas presents ready to be wrapped and there are A LOT of AG boxes. And Lego, too.:thumbsup2

:goodvibes I'm with you. I would never, ever want to add it up and know how much I've spent over the past few years. :scared: I will say that my two girls have 13 dolls between them plus two Bitty Babies, a ton of clothing, a few horses, a couple of beds and some other accessories. :faint: It's crazy but they love them and I have to admit that I do too. :blush:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter