• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Olympus Evolt Series

:cool1::cool1:

I am now the owner of the 50- 200 SWD lens!! I just ordered it from Adorama and hopefully it should be here by the weekend!!

:cool1::cool1:

I am now the owner of the 50- 200 SWD lens!! I just ordered it from Adorama and hopefully it should be here by the weekend!!

Congrats! Do you have the 70-300? The 50-200 is one I would like to eventually have, but if I were to buy another lens right now it would be the 9-18. I like the wide angle.

I've almost talked myself into ordering the E-PL2. There's a $50 rebate through the 12th, and with the Bill Me Later 6 months same as cash, a commission check and a trip to London coming up, it's all slowly eating away at my will power. I keep asking myself what it has that my 600 doesn't -- if I want small I'd just stick the pancake on it -- but I'd really like the video. Actually what I'd really like would be an upgrade to the E620 which would have video, but I don't think that's happening.:sad1:

Looking forward to seeing some photos!

Congrats! Do you have the 70-300? The 50-200 is one I would like to eventually have, but if I were to buy another lens right now it would be the 9-18. I like the wide angle.

I've almost talked myself into ordering the E-PL2. There's a $50 rebate through the 12th, and with the Bill Me Later 6 months same as cash, a commission check and a trip to London coming up, it's all slowly eating away at my will power. I keep asking myself what it has that my 600 doesn't -- if I want small I'd just stick the pancake on it -- but I'd really like the video. Actually what I'd really like would be an upgrade to the E620 which would have video, but I don't think that's happening.:sad1:

Looking forward to seeing some photos!

No, my only other telephoto lens is the 40 -150, which I'll now give to the DW as she has been using my E-520 more and more.

Yeah, I don't think we will be seeing any new mid range DSLR's from Oly as it looks like the PEN's are taking over that niche. From what I've read the E-PL2 has a newer sensor and jpeg engine from what's in the E-600 620 so it will handle higher ISO's if that important to you. Of course the video is also a factor as well. Eventually I'd like to get a PEN but that may be a year or so down the line.

I saw the email from Oly that the E-PL2 is out. I haven't had time to read through it yet, but does it have the same sensor as the PL1 (which is the same as the one in my E30)? If not, I'd probably stick with the PL1 just for consistency and ease. As it is, I think I futzed around with too many buttons on the 30 and now I can't get it back to the way I had it, I may have to go back to default. This is driving me absolutely INSANE! :lmao:

I'm also torn about keeping the 510 vs getting a PEN. My DS has been using it and likes it a lot. I don't know that it would be hugely different to carry, either. So basically doing nothing at this point.

I did get Lightroom 3 for Christmas and I just got the DVD tutorial from Amazon which DH and I will watch together to see if, between us, we can figure it out. The pp end of things has always really intimidated me and truly not where I want to focus (pun intended ;) ), but I'm going to give it a shot as I think it's a necessary evil these days.

Congrats on the lens, Joe. I absolutely love mine. (I have the older version. It's what I refer to as my "baseball lens" and I really enjoyed using it during the season last year.)

Has anyone used the Olympus Studio software for tethered shooting? I just got a copy and wanted to see how user friendly it is.

Has anyone used the Olympus Studio software for tethered shooting? I just got a copy and wanted to see how user friendly it is.
I don't know what that is! So no, probably not! :lmao:

How's everyone doing?

I made the decision to go back to JPEG shooting for a while to see how that works for me. It's just too hard trying to convert all the RAW photos all the time. I still have a crapload to do on my Trip Report, and I'm already into baseball season. :scared1:

:wave:

Tethered is basically having your camera connected to a laptop and using Studio software to control the camera....works well for portrait type work in theory.

I'm doing good...I haven't been out shooting much recently but I may get out this weekend. I also start some off camera flash classes next week.

Shooting jpeg definitely will save you some time.....looking forward to more trip report photos :thumbsup2

:wave:

Tethered is basically having your camera connected to a laptop and using Studio software to control the camera....works well for portrait type work in theory.

I'm doing good...I haven't been out shooting much recently but I may get out this weekend. I also start some off camera flash classes next week.

Shooting jpeg definitely will save you some time.....looking forward to more trip report photos :thumbsup2
I have some beautiful TR photos coming up. I thought the resort pics came out especially well. Although, duh, I'm realizing now how many errors I made - even though I thought I "had it together". :rolleyes: This really is an ongoing Labor of Love, isn't it? :faint:

Interesting about the tethered shooting. What's the advantage?

I have some beautiful TR photos coming up. I thought the resort pics came out especially well. Although, duh, I'm realizing now how many errors I made - even though I thought I "had it together". :rolleyes: This really is an ongoing Labor of Love, isn't it? :faint:

Interesting about the tethered shooting. What's the advantage?

Absolutely....for every 5 things we learn there are 10 more we don't know. Which is probably part of why we do this :thumbsup2

One advantage I've found with tethered shooting is when shooting portraits / people photos, I have the images flowing right into Lightroom, so instead of reviewing on a 3" camera LCD I can instantly review the image on my laptop screen (much easier on these old eyes lol)

I've been using an Olympus dedicated software called E-Capture which is fine but I just obtained a copy of Olympus Studio (now discontinued by Olympus). I haven't had a chance to play with it yet but I understand you can actually control the camera from your laptop through the software

Hi All,

I originally posted here about a year ago when I first found this thread and then I pretty much fell of the face of the earth. I have just this very minute, April 8th, 2011 at 1:33 AM PDT finished reading every living, loving post here and BOY has it been an education!

Having gone through roughly three years of posts it is hard not to feel like I know some of you by now. It has been funny to OBM and his wife spar over gear, fun to rejoice with new camera purchases (the E30 saga has been an inspiration) and equally amusing to see folks debate the relative merits of the Pen series.

One thing I am still sure of is that I love, Love, LOVE my Oly! When I last checked in I had the 520, and the 35mm, 14-42, 40-150 and 50-200 non SWD. Since that time I have added the 11-22, 50mm and 70-300 to my arsenal as well as the Oly ring flash and the FL-50R. I have also switched almost entirely to Mac which brings Aperture 3 and all the Nik plugins to the party as well.

My DH has his very own 520, the two kit lenses, an 11-22, what was formerly my 35mm, and his very own 70-300. He is still shooting IR with his filters and also with his converted Nikon 5400.

Last week I purchased a Macbook pro which came loaded with the CS5 suite and Lightroom among other things so my learning curve just went from a somewhat steep but still gentle slope to a perilous 90-degree climb.

With our DCL Alaska cruise upcoming, I am trying to get a better handle on how to use all this wonderful gear to its fullest. Any advice on preparing for shooting in Alaska would be appreciated.

You see, I am VERY good at acquiring gear but not nearly as skilled in the use of it as my owning it would make me appear.

And, here we are, almost one year later and I STILL haven't managed to successfully post any pictures here on DISboards. Hopefully, once Yahoo decides to let me back into my flickr account I will FINALLY be able to share, get feedback and start participating in the conversations around here in a meaningful way.

Thank you all for keeping this thread going. It has been and will remain, a great source of instruction, inspiration and "innovention" for me and others like me for years to come.

Take care all, help lots of people and have a "Wonder"ful day!

Tisza

Tisza said:
One thing I am still sure of is that I love, Love, LOVE my Oly!
This is nice to hear, so do we! :goodvibes

I think Lynn (Pugrpooh) did an Alaska trip with her Oly, didn't she?

I'd think you'd want to invest in some polarizing filters if you don't have any (glare). I'd also make sure you're adept in using the different settings so that you can get what you need on the fly. You've read Understanding Exposure? Read it again if you have! (I'm rereading it myself!) I'd probably make a decision of whether you're going to use RAW or JPEG (see post above). And then Practice, Practice, Practice.

Oh yeah, and a couple of things I'd be sure to know before I went also - how to pull up the histogram, how to get your horizons level :headache: , how to get the mirror up, how to set the second timer (for times you don't have a tripod), basic familiarization as best you can with your functions. That sounds like fun! (Can I come? :yay: )

Hi!

You can come if you don'tmind travelling Disney Steerage with the DH and me and if there is room in the suitcase to stow you :-)

I have all of Bryan Peterson's books and was just thinking last night that it was time to pull them all out for a refresher read. I realized that between my gear and my DH's we are going tobe hard pressed to find any space in our carryon luggage for his wine for the cruise. It is a good thing we are driving to Vancouver or I think the airfare with the extrs bag charges would cost us more than the cruise lol.

Good idea on the mirror lock and the two second delay, I have a corded and a wireless remote (see I told you I am good at getting the gadgets :-) but it will be nice to not always have to haul out the tripod. Btw should I bring the monopod too? I have a couple but they don't get alot of use generally. Fortunately I started out (after reading the first B.O. Book) shooting in raw+jpg.

I am starting to get brave enough to switch over to raw only.

Oops, time to go see the tax guy... More later,

Tisza

I was thinking now that all the other brands have their own "Photo Sharing" threads, that we should modernize a bit and have one too. Thoughts?

Hi!! I am new to the Photo Board and searched for Olympus and found this thread! Is this thread still open or did it move to the Photo Sharing board?
Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter