Olympics on FunnelVision?

jpwest

Disney Dad #825
We'll be on the Fantasy in 2 weeks - I don't suppose DCL would be able to show the Opening Ceremonies on the big screen?

We will be on the Wonder in Alaska for a good part of the Olympics, and I was wondering if DCL would be showing them anywhere given that they are on NBC.

We will be on the Wonder in Alaska for a good part of the Olympics, and I was wondering if DCL would be showing them anywhere given that they are on NBC.

I bet they will. We were on the Dream in early June. They showed the Stanley Cup (NHL) finals in the sports bar, and showed the NBA finals in the sports bar on the funnel vision. I am not sure what channel the NBA games were on, but I know the NHL games were NBC/NBC Sports.

Maybe it has changed, but they didn't in the summer of 2008. My son was really upset. All they did was post a list each day in the sports bar of the winners.

Doubt it. The Olympics are going to be on NBC (not Disney owned). It would be more likely if they were on ABC or ESPN and we didn't even get those channels the whole time

We received a daily newsletter on the EBPC 2008 cruise that listed the results in each event, but I never saw them on the dumbotron during the day. It is possible that some of them were shown in the sports bar, but we never went there.

The NBA finals were shown but they are on ABC, so Disney has all access to that (except it was the Puerto Rico feed)

The Olympics may also have issues with international broadcasting, or something. I know even ABC can be blocked because the ship ethers Cuban waters or some such non sense. It would also be expensive for them to broadcast a non Disney show… pirate:

Although I agree with other posters that they are on NBC, we were on the Wonder for the superbowl this year and it was shown live on the pool deck. I believe Fox had the rights this year, so maybe it can be done. I know I would really want to see the games if I were sailing!

It's a actully a mater of how much the rights cost to brodact them. During the EBPC in 2008 they told us that it would cost something like $800 per day for a tape of just highlights, unfortuitly your not likely to see them on bard.

Dear sweet baby Jesus I would not love Olympics (as fabulous and cool and important as they are) full coverage on the funnel vision. Yikes!

Would be nice to have the option in cabins or bars though!

They'd better be available in the evenings or I will have one very upset little gymnast.

I suppose I'd better set the DVR (totally not the same!)

How much is daily internet? Perhaps I can find them streaming. :)

Dear sweet baby Jesus I would not love Olympics (as fabulous and cool and important as they are) full coverage on the funnel vision. Yikes!

Would be nice to have the option in cabins or bars though!

Exactly! If they took over the dumbotron for continuous Olympic coverage that would get rid of most of the programing for younger kids at the pool during the day. We always seem to cruise when the finale of a show we watch is on. We forget about it while on the ship, then google to find out the information about who won or watch the episode online. I tell the kids that I didn't pay that much for the cruise for them to sit in the room and watch TV.

They'd better be available in the evenings or I will have one very upset little gymnast.

I suppose I'd better set the DVR (totally not the same!)

How much is daily internet? Perhaps I can find them streaming. :)

Internet is by the minute and is not reliable. Reports are that it takes a long time to send email. I would not count on being able to stream anything. I would set the DVR or count on Youtube when you get back home.

Exactly! If they took over the dumbotron for continuous Olympic coverage that would get rid of most of the programing for younger kids at the pool during the day. We always seem to cruise when the finale of a show we watch is on. We forget about it while on the ship, then google to find out the information about who won or watch the episode online. I tell the kids that I didn't pay that much for the cruise for them to sit in the room and watch TV.

Internet is by the minute and is not reliable. Reports are that it takes a long time to send email. I would not count on being able to stream anything. I would set the DVR or count on Youtube when you get back home.

Ugh. 7 cruises and we've never had to use internet. Thought they had packages. I don't know how I've managed to schedule vacation over the Summer Olympics the last THREE times. sheesh. :)

Ugh. 7 cruises and we've never had to use internet. Thought they had packages. I don't know how I've managed to schedule vacation over the Summer Olympics the last THREE times. sheesh. :)

There are packages for the internet.

Plan 1 - $.075 per minute
Plan 2 - 100 minutes for $55
Plan 3 - 250 minutes for $100
Plan 4 - 500 minutes for $150.

As above, the internet is extremely slo-o-oo-w-w-w. And you may be dropped off at any moment. But it is doable.

:cutie:

There are packages but it is only sold by the minute now. There use to be an unlimited package but that was ended years ago.

Hoping (against hope) that DW will be able to see some Olympics while we sail on The Dream in a few weeks. Room, good - Funnelvision, better. DVR is a good backup, but hardly a replacement for getting caught up in the live fervor.

Disney owns ESPN and we had those live feeds in the room almost the whole trip, so they may be able to at least show clips.

I hope they at least show the Olympics in the evening. We all know if anyone can afford to buy the broadcasts it's Disney. I think watching with an international crowd would be so fun! And I have a couple of little swimmers who want to watch their heroes compete for gold.

How about forgetting about sports for a few moments of your lives and focusing on your vacation? You know, that thing that you're paying all that money for to get away from regular life for a while? Your kids will survive and can see it all when they get home.

I'm taking 10 & 12 yo boys on this trip. They NEVER forget about sports. Ever. I hear that will change once they discover girls, but for right now they love sports.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter