Ollivander's question

ARIELvsURSULA

Mouseketeer
My DD is turning 11 this December, we're surprising her the morning before her bday and flying out for 5 nights at HRH. What I really want is to take advantage of early admission and go straight to Ollivanders, and hopefully she can get picked. It would be so special for several reasons, obviously getting picked ON her birthday would be something she'd remember forever. But 11 is also the age kids get to start Hogwarts, what a cool memory that would be! I heard there are birthday buttons I can get at the hotel, do you think this would make her more likely to be picked or is it just sort of random? Maybe I'll just take her through a few times and hope she gets lucky :)

some peeps that stand by the stairs have been chosen.

i'm sure wearing a birthday button will help the cause.

Have her really show her personality when she enters the room. Looking excited and charismatic will help her case.

some peeps that stand by the stairs have been chosen.

i'm sure wearing a birthday button will help the cause.

Have her really show her personality when she enters the room. Looking excited and charismatic will help her case.

Yes to both! The Birthday button helps but a spunky personality is very helpful too. But, I believe the person is picked prior to entering the room. While in line. :goodvibes

I would think her wearing something related to Harry Potter to show she's a fan might help too. Maybe pick up something at CityWalk the first night you're there?

We were first in line to enter after the previous group went in. My daughter was chatting to the Hogwart's person in charge of the door. She was telling him how happy she was to be there and about our emergency landing at the Montreal airport....how much she loved HP etc..:wizard: she was very animated and genuine. She wasn't talking to him to be picked but just being friendly and excited. He excused himself for a moment and went inside. When he came out he let everyone in and she was picked! :banana:

I agree with the pp that sometimes they know who they are going to pick before the line enters :goodvibes

We were first in line to enter after the previous group went in. My daughter was chatting to the Hogwart's person in charge of the door. She was telling him how happy she was to be there and about our emergency landing at the Montreal airport....how much she loved HP etc..:wizard: she was very animated and genuine. She wasn't talking to him to be picked but just being friendly and excited. He excused himself for a moment and went inside. When he came out he let everyone in and she was picked! :banana:

I agree with the pp that sometimes they know who they are going to pick before the line enters :goodvibes

That's adorable, your daughter sounds very sweet. My DD can be very chatty on the right subject, I'll make sure she's got a good breakfast in her for lots of HP energy!

That's adorable, your daughter sounds very sweet. My DD can be very chatty on the right subject, I'll make sure she's got a good breakfast in her for lots of HP energy!

You've got a number of great tips here to help her chances, but remember the odds are still fairly small she'll be picked. Everything being equal, it's about a 1-in-25 shot. Just keepin' it real. ;) :goodvibes

Echoing what others have said. An animated outgoing child gets attention. It's hard with kids but try to manage her expectations, it's pretty cool even when your not the one picked. Potter clothing does go a long way. My son & I had Gryfinndor scarves. All day cast members commented. One dude, in a Slythteren tie, was checking our seat belts at Men in Black, and he told my son "Magic won't help you now Gryfindor!" It was one of those moments.

have fun
mauisam

We've already been once in March, none of us were picked but it was still cool. She actually won't even know we're going to be there on her birthday until the morning before when we leave for the airport.. so I don't think she'll have any time to worry about anything. Probably just excited to be there :)

I have 3 kids, 11, 9, and 8. We were at the front of the line for the second group to go in. I didn't tell them that someone would get picked, they didn't even know it was a show. They just kept talking about how exciting it was to be at Ollivanders, and they couldn't wait to see what it looked like inside. Not super animated, but very content. We went in, and yes, my 11 year old son was picked. Brought tears to my eyes. My husband leaned over and said "Did you have something to do with that?"

I have 3 kids, 11, 9, and 8. We were at the front of the line for the second group to go in. I didn't tell them that someone would get picked, they didn't even know it was a show. They just kept talking about how exciting it was to be at Ollivanders, and they couldn't wait to see what it looked like inside. Not super animated, but very content. We went in, and yes, my 11 year old son was picked. Brought tears to my eyes. My husband leaned over and said "Did you have something to do with that?"

What a great surprise! The show is so cool, your kid must have been over the moon!

Get to the park entrance a half an hour before opening and get in line to the furthest right. Even if this line isn't currently staffed it will be by opening time. Get into the park and go to the right. Just before (or after, I'm not sure I'm remembering correctly) entering Seuss Landing there is a path to the left along the lake which is shorter than going around the main way. Take this path and hopefully you'll be first to Olivander's. As has been mentioned, someone staffs the door so there will be a decent opportunity to chat them up and hopefully impress them into choosing someone in your party. We followed this plan when we went, just so we could get into Olivander's with a minimal wait. There were only four people in front of us entering WWOHP and they also went to the Olivander's line. I can't remember who was chosen--we were all adults...and I think the people in front of us were too but they did chat quite a bit with the door employee. The birthday button is great though. It was my husband's birthday and he got a ton of recognition...and a free cauldron cake among other things.

Just back. My DS 10 was picked last week. The line at Ollivanders was 55 minutes at 8:15 am for early entry so we skipped it. DS kept talking about going back so we left US around 8:00 and went back to IOA. The line was about 30 minutes. DH is a talker and talked it up with the workers watching the line just because that is what he enjoys. We were about 10 deep in line and entered towards the right. He came down the stairs and pointed at DS without even looking around room. It did seem pre-planned. DS wasn't wearing anything special. It was definitely the highlight of the trip!

may the odds be ever in her favor... Oh wait... Wrong YA series.
;)

Good luck!

Suddenly the possibilities for the next IoA expansion come rushing to mind!

At park opening, everyone rushes to get in line for the Reaping!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter