Oldest clothing

tink20

DIS Veteran
What is your oldest piece of clothing that you have and still wear?

Mine is an Alabama sweatshirt, a present from my parents for Xmas, when I was 18. So it is 20 years old. It is so comfy, but I only wear it at home. I just can't get rid of it.

I have a black v-neck, thin ribbed, not too heavy, hits right at the perfect spot just past the waist, cardigan sweater that I got from Express probably in 1997 or 1998. It is THE perfect sweater. It looks great over Tshirts or thin long sleeved shirts. It still looks as good as when I bought it and I wear it probably at least once a week or so for most of the year except for the summer(and even then I bring it with me to wear in chilly restaurants). You can wear it alone or over something as the v neck isn;t too low, but I always throw it over another shirt.
I am starting to worry that something will happen to it, I have never found a more perfect cardigan and I look because I want a back up. It's the perfect length, weight and shape.

"and still wear" is the tough part. I still have my concert t-shirt from Simon and Garfunkel from 1981, but I don't wear it. My stuff either has sentimental value, in which case I wouldn't wear it, or it doesn't, in which case it goes in the trash bin as soon as it wears out.

I still wear my first college sweatshirt which is 28yrs old. And I mean I wear it. It has no holes, still in good shape. Faded a bit but not much. It has been through all kinds of washers and dryers and never has shrunk either.

When I bought it I treated it like gold because I had NEVER bought a shirt that was SOOOO expensive! I think it was like 40 dollars which was mind blowing to me for the price of clothes at the time.;)

I have a chocolate bown shin length leather coat that belonged to my DH gandmother. We estimate she bought it in 1981, the year before she moved from Detroit to L.A. As you can imagine she had no real use for it in Southen Califonia and it hung in a closet until she gave it to me about 5 years ago. It's in Beautiful condition and is a classic style, people are always surprised when I tell them how old it is.

As for clothing I've been wearing for years I have a Gumpy nightshirt that my favorite BIL bought for me when I as 17, I'm 48 now and still occasionally wear it to bed. I have a Auburn Sugar bowl shirt fom 1986 (?) I pull out for games and also fom 1986 a Jimmy Buffett shirt fom the Auburn homecoming concert that I have pulled out to wear to shows.

A t shirt from my youngest brother's graduating class of 1978. I still wear it.

I have a Hard Rock Cafe London sweatshirt that I bought when I was there in 1986, so that's 24 years. I only hang dry it and wear it 5 or 6 times during each winter season.

I used to have a bag full of old official concert tour t-shirts from the early 80s -- bands like Rush, Journey, Van Halen, Areosmith, Ted Nugent, The Eagles, ZZ Top, The Police, The Who, etc... I had over 25 t-shirts. I sold them all at a garage sale a couple of years ago for 50 cents each to a teenage boy. Then I found out later I could have reaped a mint from them on ebay -- some as high as $100 per shirt! :sad2:

I think the last time I bought a white dress shirt was when I graduated from high school in 1975. Bought my suit in 1989. Bought under shirts for the first time since the 70's last year, so that means 3 or 4 of the ones I still wear are 35 years old or so. The old ones have a tag on them, the new ones don't have a tag, they have the size printed on the back inside of the neck on the shirt itself. I got my Oakland A's hat when they moved to Oakland in 1968, that's probably the oldest clothing item I still wear.

Hmm...maybe an Abercrombie jacket I bought in 1996 or 1997? I can't think of anything older.

ETA: I did remember something! An Arlo Guthrie tshirt from 1987. :)

I have a sweatshirt from the summer camp I attended that is from 1996. I wear it all the time at home, and when I counsel at camp. I have a long sleeve tee from that same year, and several other shirts from youth events from 1996-1999.

My UNC sweatshirt is 21 years old and I still wear it all the time!
I just had to throw out my black Birkenstock clogs that were 19 y/o this month--I wore those suckers OUT! :rotfl:

My dad had this funky tunic-type shirt that he wore in the 60s... I now have it. I haven't worn it in awhile, but I used to wear it all the time about 10yrs ago. It even has a cigarette burn in the sleeve when someone got too close to my dad - LOL.

I have a Hard Rock Cafe London sweatshirt that I bought when I was there in 1986, so that's 24 years. I only hang dry it and wear it 5 or 6 times during each winter season.

I used to have a bag full of old official concert tour t-shirts from the early 80s -- bands like Rush, Journey, Van Halen, Areosmith, Ted Nugent, The Eagles, ZZ Top, The Police, The Who, etc... I had over 25 t-shirts. I sold them all at a garage sale a couple of years ago for 50 cents each to a teenage boy. Then I found out later I could have reaped a mint from them on ebay -- some as high as $100 per shirt! :sad2:

Me too ! When the movie "Almost Famous" came out My niece was infactuated with it. That year for her 21st B-Day I was able to give her my original Stillwater concert shirt. She had it on just the other day and she's had it for 8 years now. This year for Christmas I gave my hairstylist a Tattle Tails shirt from 1990 signed by Motle Crue. My room mate at the time was a bartender at the club and got backstage passes, they took a bunch of shirts and the band were nice enough to sign them.
I know I have a BeeGees shirt in that box in the garage, I'm sure it's going to be a great gift for somebody one day. Also have an Allman Bros. shirt fom mid 70's but I'm not giving that one up! Of course I don't wear any of them now.

I have this one flannel shirt that I have formed an unnatural attachment with. We've been through so much together and whenever things get stressful or I don't feel well, it finds its way onto me.

I have a lot of Disney shirts and sweatshirts that have lasted me quite a few years and I wear them a lot, but my oldest item (non-Disney) would be a leather jacket I've had for about 20 years. I don't wear it a lot down here, but I did wear it last night.

My oldest piece of clothing is my high school grad tee from 1991 . It is still in good condition and I wear it to sleep in.

The next to oldest that I wear is an Ann Taylor sweater set from 2006 . I wore it to my DS8 baptism . Still looks great and goes with everything.

I have a few dresses in my closet I just can't bear to part with , but can't fit in. Most are from mid 1990's .

Most of you guys are light weights! I have a smocked dress that my Mom made me as a baby that I've been wearing since 8th grade as a shirt (Its gone in and out of style a couple of times :lmao:).

I have some things of my Mom's and grandma's as well from as far back as the 40's, but the oldest piece has to be a vintage flapper dress, I picked up 2nd hand( or perhaps 3rd hand :)) so 1920's.

Mine is a UCLA sweatshirt, given to me by a boyfriend in 1984, so it's almost 27 years old now. I don't wear it often, but it makes me smile when I do slip it on. He had graduated from there, and wanted me to transfer there to finish my bachelor's degree.

I have a sweater that my FIL gave me for Christmas in 1985. I still wear it occasionally and I'm invariably asked where I got it. :lmao:

Mine is an Alabama sweatshirt, a present from my parents for Xmas, when I was 18. So it is 20 years old. It is so comfy, but I only wear it at home. I just can't get rid of it.

You know...you ought to replace that old shirt with a brand spanking new AUBURN shirt! I think it would do you good girl! :rotfl2:;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter