• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Older trick-or-treaters?

1. All kids get candy if they come to my door. No matter what age.
2. Better than hanging out on the street corner doing drugs
3. My now-6 foot 15 year old was a 5'9" 170 lb 12-13 year old a couple years ago. Last year, he and a group of his friends took DS8 out with them so I didn't have to walk around in the freezing cold, and so that DS8 could have much more fun than just walking with mom.
4. DD just turned 11 and is already 5'4". She has several taller friends. The average full-grown woman is 5'5" tall.
5. Our village does TorT from 4:30pm-7:30pm. Every year there is some mother with too much time on her hands trying to stir everyone up by proclaiming that we should restrict TorT to a Saturday only so her precious kids can stay on their bedtime schedule. Thankfully, these women get ignored. I can see someone taking them seriously one day and changing things, but for now, a 9pm sugar-induced bedtime Halloween coma on a school-night 5 out of every 7 years of my kids' childhood hasn't seemed to do too much damage, so I'm cool with it.
6. I TorT every year until my senior year when I actually had a job and had to work that night :(
7. Besides, how else am I going to be able to rummage through 3 candy bags once the kids leave for school the next day if I stop them from TorT at their ages???!! From what I've seen, the teenagers get better candy anyway. Babies and toddlers get dum-dum suckers. Teens get the good stuff that the babies can't have! Almond Joy...Payday...Snickers - yum!!!

I really wonder what kind of neighborhood some people here live in where they get surly and pushy trick or treaters. It's a shame, of course, but a good reminder that not everyone lives in nice areas.

Luckily, we're in a very nice area, and even though a good number of teens dress up and come around, they're always polite. Our town sets limits on the time, and by that point it's really just a few groups of teens who are still at it. I love surprising them by dumping handfulls into their bags. Since I usually buy way too much, it solves my problem of having that much candy left over.

We give to young and old, but want at least a token effort made towards a costume. We have parents that dress up to take kids around and they get candy, too.

As for changing the ToT day, there is absolutely NO legitimate reason to do so.

I really wonder what kind of neighborhood some people here live in where they get surly and pushy trick or treaters. It's a shame, of course, but a good reminder that not everyone lives in nice areas.

Luckily, we're in a very nice area, and even though a good number of teens dress up and come around, they're always polite. Our town sets limits on the time, and by that point it's really just a few groups of teens who are still at it. I love surprising them by dumping handfulls into their bags. Since I usually buy way too much, it solves my problem of having that much candy left over.

Yes! LOL My older DS was "treated" to the rest of candy bowl once last year and he still talks about it! He was a Freshman and was all about the candy! Thank you, on behalf of good teenagers everywhere, for making teens feel like people actually still like them. My son tells me all the time that he hates how adults, teachers, etc, all seem to either fear teens, don't trust them, or are mean to them. My son is a decent kid - polite, holds doors, always please and thank you, etc, and is still treated like garbage by a lot of adults. It's crazy how "prejudiced" a lot of adults are against teens. It's OK for my son to experience this now (and he even admits he understands why since there are teens out there giving everyone a bad name), because it is making him a better person, and makes him think more about how he presents himself in public, but it is funny because I never realized how "anti-teen" a lot of people really are until I had one of my own. I get it that a few bad apples, etc, spoil it for everyone, but I'm glad there are a lot of good guys out there, too!

How do you feel about older trick or treaters?

I saw some rant today on how older kids trick or treating amounts to begging for candy and they should get a job and buy their own candy. The gist was pretty much that this person shut the door in the face of anybody over the age of 11-12.

I personally have no problem with anybody under college age showing up at my door for candy. The teenagers kind of get left out of Halloween. They can't party like adults or college kids and are often chastised for being too old to go door to door.

In my experiences the 13-17ish age group are the ones who spend Halloween out causing trouble and vandalizing (egging, TPing, etc.) I'd much rather they be childish and innocent even if not in costume than out causing trouble.

I usually even get a few nicer/bigger candy options for the older kids who come by and I must say the older kids are always very polite and appreciative. They always say please and thank you and never just grab handfuls.

The only problem I have with teenagers coming to my door for ToT is that they tend to come out late and I don't want to open my door that late. The ones who come earlier get the same candy I give to everyone else. I think it's great that they are having fun.

My friends and I still Trick-Or-Treat and so far we've never had anyone be rude to us. We do coordinate costumes though, so the people we go to can at least see that we put effort into it. We do have Halloween Parties but all of us want to go Trick-Or-Treating or stay home and hand out candy that none of them are actually on Halloween.

I never have understood all the grumpiness some people have around Halloween.

We always gave candy or other treats (I always had some stickers or whatnot as an option, so kids could pick what worked for them if they had allergies or whatever) to anyone who came. I might good naturedly give you a hard time if you have no costume (most kids of all ages did though) but that is the extent.

We used to live on the edge of a Detroit suburb--some of the closest "safe" neighborhoods to the city at the time. We'd get lots of kids (many driven up in church vans) from the city as well as locals and a lot of neighbors complained about that as well as older kids. silly me, I thought it was great that I was in a position to help make a child's night nice and a good memory of a classic American childhood tradition happen, and I could do that for the price of a few bags of candy---seemed like a great thing to me.

ooh, and I am another one whose tall and curvy too soon little girl gt lectured for being too old to ToT one year--she was 10 and told something along the lines of "highschoolers are too old get candy,even if they are with a little kid" (her 8 year old brother). The tone was not so nice and she was afraid to go to any other doors that night. Sadly, this was in the firs few houses.

Last edited:
\
There are towns in my area that will not allow trick or treating Monday through Thursday if October 31 falls on those days. My town has a 6 to 8 pm restriction and only for houses with front door lights on. At least we don't have an age restriction.

I remember the trick or treating started soon after getting home from school with no end time. Kids out everywhere having fun. Not allowed anymore in some places.

What a way to suck the fun out of such a fun day for the kids! And we would never get anyone at our house if they had the lights on and off thing, many people on my block, including me, have sensor lights over their doors, they come on only as people approach the step and turn off soon after! I just don't see the whole point of micromanaging Halloween. Next thing you know you will only be allowed to give out healthy treats, or treats with no peanut butter, no egg, no dye, no gluton off a pre approved list etc....

Rules for trick or treating? Who knew? I can't believe there are actually places that dictate ages, hours, even dates. It's Halloween! That's October 31st last time I checked the calendar! Town actually move the date? And keeping it under 12 is absolutely ridiculous. I'm sure those are the same towns that have outlawed tag and dodgeball at recess. Let the kids be kids, for goodness sake!

I must live in a totally lawless town--and never realized it! There are no age restrictions. Yes, even teenagers go out trick or treating--the horror!!! We do it on Halloween, no matter what day of the week it is. And, yes, kids actually manage to get up and go to school the next day. Can you imagine the absurdity? And we even let them pick their own hours! It's amazing how they're able to start at dusk and end by 9:00--all on their own!

I'm just waiting for the towns to implement their "peanut free" laws....

I never have understood all the grumpiness some people have around Halloween.

We always gave candy or other treats (I always had some stickers or whatnot as an option, so kids could pick what worked for them if they had allergies or whatever) to anyone who came. I might good naturedly give you a hard time if you have no costume (most kids of all ages did though) but that is the extent.

We used to live on the edge of a Detroit suburb--some of the closest "safe" neighborhoods to the city at the time. We'd get lots of kids (many driven up in church vans) from the city as well as locals and a lot of neighbors complained about that as well as older kids. silly me, I thought it was great that I was in a position to help make a child's night nice and a good memory of a classic American childhood tradition happen, and I could do that for the price of a few bags of candy---seemed like a great thing to me.

ooh, and I am another one whose tall and curvy too soon little girl gt lectured for being too old to ToT one year--she was 10 and told something along the lines of "highschoolers are too old get candy,even if they are with a little kid" (her 8 year old brother). The tone was not so nice and she was afraid to go to any other doors that night. Sadly, this was in the firs few houses.

That really makes me livid. Some people are just hateful.

In my area, the last year you Trick or Treat is the year you are 12 - I don't think it's a law, but it's just generally not accepted to do it after that. My guess is anyone trick or treating after that age would be made fun of by the other kids. Our town has a big party at the activities center and the older kids and their parents go to that.

And Trick or Treating is strictly from 6-8 pm as well (another unwritten rule). My DH thinks it's hilarious to see all the porch lights in the neighborhood shut off at the stroke of 8- our neighborhood is the darkest it ever it at 8:01 on Halloween night. This is widely known amongst the town kids but the out-of-towners who come in must be confused that it ends so abruptly.

We're giving out CANDY not gold doubloons.

That said, we live out in the middle of nowhere on a dark country road on a farm with the nearest neighbor not even within shouting distance....so if someone comes knocking on our door at night on Halloween, chances are the only thing their going to get is a pepper sprayed. LOL.

\

What a way to suck the fun out of such a fun day for the kids! And we would never get anyone at our house if they had the lights on and off thing, many people on my block, including me, have sensor lights over their doors, they come on only as people approach the step and turn off soon after! I just don't see the whole point of micromanaging Halloween. Next thing you know you will only be allowed to give out healthy treats, or treats with no peanut butter, no egg, no dye, no gluton off a pre approved list etc....

My area doesn't have a "rule" (what would that accomplish? What are you going to do to the kids that knock on a house without the light?) about lights on but most kids are taught to only go to houses with the light on. My front porch area has the sensor light but I can turn it to stay on (If its raining we hang out in the enclosed porch area) or turn on the light post light on my lawn and set up the table and chairs on the lawn to hand out candy if its nice out.(Edit to add that most of the kids listen to this idea of only going to the houses with the light on because most of the time they are the ones with the candy and its a waste of time to go to the dark houses where no one is home or they are ignoring the door)

We do get groups of older kids sometimes as well as some younger ones. Although not much for people that aren't from the area. My neighborhood is on the start up the mountain so its very hilly and there are many dead end roads, if your coming to the area there are better flatter areas most would probably pick first.

What I think they should do is take over the county 10 mile bike trail and do something cool for halloween down that. Some areas of the trail are well lit and right next to a playgound (so put little kid areas there) and some areas are in a pretty wooded area with a few trails off to the side, which could make for a REALLY cool haunted walk for the older kids and teenagers since there would be so many places for people to dress up and hide to scare them.

We have a few areas that do haunted hayrides and other tours like that too.

I will up the ante on the potential pearl clutching....

Not only did we give candy to teens and young adults, we used to offer a glass of wine to many of the parents we know.
No wine in my house but I am planning to buy a box of dog treats for the high number of dogs that go with the kids for trick or treat. (which makes sense if everyone is getting ready to go for a walk I'm sure the family dog would love to come too, and added bonus if any teenagers decide to go TPing houses or being pains in the tush your dog isn't home for them to terrorize.

In my area, the last year you Trick or Treat is the year you are 12 - I don't think it's a law, but it's just generally not accepted to do it after that. My guess is anyone trick or treating after that age would be made fun of by the other kids. Our town has a big party at the activities center and the older kids and their parents go to that.

And Trick or Treating is strictly from 6-8 pm as well (another unwritten rule). My DH thinks it's hilarious to see all the porch lights in the neighborhood shut off at the stroke of 8- our neighborhood is the darkest it ever it at 8:01 on Halloween night. This is widely known amongst the town kids but the out-of-towners who come in must be confused that it ends so abruptly.
How sad that parents have taught their children to be so hateful as to make fun of other children that just want to go out and have a good time.

Kids of all ages trick or treat here. Lots of teenagers have parties and trick or treat in groups. It's always been that way here. As long as they are in costume and are polite nobody cares. I think it's great. I love how creative some of their costumes are & I enjoy seeing them have fun.

We give to anyone who shows up at our door. Dh thinks teens trick-or-treating is a bit silly, but they still get treats.
Our daughter is 18 and she always loved dressing up. She's been bummed the last few years with no real way to enjoy the holiday. If people wouldn't judge, she'd still be happily trick-or-treating just to show off a costume and check out all the other costumes.
(Although, now that people have brought up height, she could probably cover her face and pull off a younger age since she's only 5'1". Maybe I should tell her that. lol.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter