• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Older People Tips?

puzzles

Mouseketeer
My parents (early 70s) are going to be visiting the second week of March. According to the crowd thingy on UG - days are mostly 4s and 5s. I know that doesn't sound too bad, but I am a little worried about my parents and maneuvering the crowds.

They are healthy, both walk unassisted, dont need any extra 'help' or anything but they walk slow, and if they got shoved they would probably lose their balance and fall. Standing at a bus stop, or standing waiting for a parade, for a half hour might be pushing it for my dad.

Has anyone been this time of year that can tell me how crowded park opening & closing generally is. Should they just avoid these times at the parks? Or do you think they'd be ok?

They are staying at the Coronado Springs. How long of waits should they expect for buses (from the parks back to the hotel).

If they wanted to sit on a bench to watch a parade, how early do you think they would need to stake out that spot?

Any other tips you can think of will be greatly appreciated.

They are staying at the Coronado Springs. How long of waits should they expect for buses (from the parks back to the hotel).

After the park is closed, they should be able to get on the 2nd or 3rd bus to CSR, so maybe 20-30 minutes.

If they wanted to sit on a bench to watch a parade, how early do you think they would need to stake out that spot?
Depending on where that bench is, I'd say 90-120 minutes, give or take a half-hour.

when taking my grandparents, we just plan to be where we need to be far enough ahead, and don't hurry

I've found that a lot of the precautions I take with my folks (80 and 70) are the same as people take with little kids. Build plenty of time in to get from here to there. We've found that people on buses are normally very nice about offering seats if it's crowded if they see an older person standing. Build in a rest time in the afternoon back at the resort. They're usually up early, so we do our park stuff before lunch, then come back for the afternoon. Sometimes they come back out for fireworks, sometimes not.

I toured Disney World in a neck brace three weeks after breaking the thing. I can understand 100% about crowds and pushing and not wanting to fall down. I didn't adjust my touring at all except to make sure my husband was within easy reach. If that meant we slowed down in a crowd, that's what we did. We also did a lot of stepping to the side after attractions (there were only a few attractions I couldn't do, believe it or not) to let the "mobs" filter out.

Disney World really isn't a place where people do a Wal Mart on Black Friday surge. For the most part, you can safely step to the side and let the wave of humanity go past you.

As for sitting on a bench and then joining someone already waiting for fireworks or a parade, if it's just one person, it's not that big of a deal. However, I would recommend that you let people around you know what it happening. And if at all possible, have your parents join you as soon as they can.

One thing to remember is about the "holding pens" at certain attractions. I'm thinking specifically about It's Tough to Be a Bug because I couldn't handle that holding area. It's very constricting and I became claustrophobic. I figured out later that I should have just stood outside the turnstiles but very close to the entrance of the tree and waited until the last minute to enter.

My aunt and uncle (69 and 77) spent a week at WDW with us in Dec. Both are very healthy and active, but my uncle does have some trouble with his feet that make walking/standing for long periods very uncomfortable.

He refused to use an ECV except for one day at AK - and thank goodness he did or the day would have been a waste (in the end he LOVED it!)

At the other parks we just planned our touring so that we had lots of opportunities to sit and take a short break - either on a ride, or at Epcot, on a nice bench enjoying a beverage. No problem with crowds - but we were smart enough to avoid the "mass exodus" stuff where you're most likely to have people pushing and shoving. Only crowd we got stuck in was for Osborne Lights, and that was because we got there right when they turned them on. We just shuffled slowly through - most people were looking at the lights and not trying to get anywhere quickly anyway.

DH and I also made sure to kind of "insulate" my uncle in a crowd - making sure we were in front/behind. At the end of the night, we hung around until the crowds cleared to avoid the mad rush out and having to stand in bus/monorail/boat lines.

We kept our park days much shorter than we normally would have (5-6 hours instead of 8-10) so we didn't totally wear them out. And the night we knew we were doing MVMCP, we made sure everyone had a chance to sleep in and rest up in the a.m., since we'd be out late that night.

We also built in a few nice dinners - which they enjoyed very much - and were selective about what rides/attractions were "must dos". I wouldn't suggest trying to pack everything in, but we did do some of the more "out of the way" attractions (like TTA) partly as an excuse to sit and relax for a bit. ;)

Maybe sit down with them ahead and talk about the things they really want to see, so you can plan your touring without a lot of back tracking to minimize how far/long they need to be on their feet.

Good luck and have a wonderful trip!!

Forgot to add: we didn't try to do any ride/attraction with more than a 20 minute wait (which was just about perfect for my uncle) and I ran ahead to get FPs for them in some cases to cut down on how much they needed to walk.

Thanks for all the tips so far.

I wont be with them, they are going alone!!! My sister was going to be with them but has backed out of the trip. They are troopers and want to still go and see and do as much as they can.

We just went in Dec. and cant afford to go again, otherwise I would! I want to make a loose plan for them, so they dont run themselves ragged.

Keep the tips and advice coming. I am taking this all in!

I agree with the idea of nice dinners. We always make ADR's at table service places. It gives us an opportunity to relax, sit down and eat leisurely. Lots of times we do "Dinch" between 1 and 3, then go back to the resort.

I just wish that they will have a great time during the trip. Hope they will enjoy and have fun.

Have a nice and safe trip coming. :)

I know from going anywhere with my elderly parents(80's), that they like to do what they like to do and at their own pace. Don't try to set up an itinerary and just resolve to stay loose. Old people will not be forced. They can be just as stubborn and infuriating as a toddler if you try to force them. I realized that they loved just being there, people watching and enjoying the fact that we were enjoying ourselves so much. Like my mother said, "I never thought this would be a place I'd ever see." :goodvibes

Are there any benches from which you would have a good view of a parade? The benches would have to be on the a second floor building balcony or on high ground as even three deep in the crowd does not give a good view.

Hmmm. Isn't there a saloon near Frontierland with second story windows you can look out of?

we had one very miserable time with my dad in 2006 during the parade for AK. He just couldn't find a place to sit. It was nuts. He finally had to go away from the parade area and sit and missed the whole parade. Other parades in other parks we didn't have such trouble but he never got a great seat, but we just found that AK was lacking in seating...all around. For something like Illuminations, stake out a seat 2 hours early. We found most of the parks had plenty of places to stop and sit, just during normal walking time, and we also found that if we walked out of the major flow of traffic we did better. He's able to walk on his own but he was a bit slow at the time and occasionally unstable (he's just turning 70). (Luckily he's 100% better for this summer)

We take DH parents who are early and mid 80's.

They like to have a nice midday meal because they eat early at home. Eating a late big meal isn't a good idea, although late night ice cream at Ghiradelli's is always one of their requests.

I suggest helping them to pick a meal they would like at each park and make one ADR each day, then they can build their day around this plan. Give them the number for Disney dining, so they can cancel if needed.

Advise them to read about the rides, so they don't get into any line that might be too rough for them, although inlaws did ride TOT at 75. And loved it, but will not do it on our next trip.

Remind them about hats, sunglasses, water is a must (we have to insist they drink water-they just don't feel thirsty on their own)

Gosh, sure hope my kids are taking me to WDW when I'm 80.

Thanks for all the tips so far.

I wont be with them, they are going alone!!!

In that case, most of what is being said can still be utilized. The going slow part and moving off to the side when they need to. Even with me not being in the neck brace anymore (but still having the broken neck), my husband and I don't tour in a rush. There's really no reason to. The attractions will still be there when we do arrive, the show will still be the same when we experience it. Your parents can tour Disney World at whatever pace *they* want to.

As for parades, I would suggest that your parents trade off with standing at a spot while the other one sits. Trade off every fifteen minutes or so and they should be fine. Again, it's a good idea to talk to those around them.

Will they run into people that are in a hurry and aren't patient? Yes. But they should feel the need to change their touring plans to suit a total stranger. Similarly, they could run into not so nice people while waiting for a parade. But again, they shouldn't let that bother them.

Talk to them about using a walking cane with a seat, the cane would help with their stability if they were "bumped" by someone and the seat would be great to use while waiting for parades and shows. You can google walking cane with seat, if you have never seen the product. I saw one at Express Med Supplies that was about $24. I can't reccomend a brand, this was just the cheapest that I saw. I have seen several people use them. Don't think they would have problems w/them at WDW, but you could call and make sure they are permitted in the parks.

Thank you everyone so far. This information is wonderful.

I sat with them and kind of explained how LARGE everything is, and that there is no way they'll be able to do or see everything. We went through a couple guidebooks and they told me the things they'd like to see/do. I came up with a very loose plan of attack for them.

We made a breakfast reservation and a very late lunch reservation each day, based on where they would be if they stick to their plan. They are staying at CSR and I heard that they have a good food selection there, so they could always eat at the hotel if they like.

My mom loves parades so I am trying to think of the best way they could see one. Which parade do you think is the best? And what part of the parade route is the least crowded (thus maybe easier to find a bench). Even if she cant see the whole thing, I think she would enjoy it. I mean, its ok if people are in front of her.

Re: canes/walkers. I bought my dad one of those rolling walker things with a seat and I am trying to convince them to take it. He only uses it when they go to Costco because they never have anywhere to sit in that store. I think it would be great for them, they could switch off sitting down. It is very easy to push and even has a basket to put stuff in. BUT I cant force them to take it, I just keep mentioning it :)

Keep the tips and advice coming, it is REALLY helpful.

My DH and I are senior citizens (66 and 72) who love WDW and try to visit there at least once a year. It is the only place that we can be taken care of starting with Magical Express. We don't have to drive any place and entertainment is provided at any time of the day. You have gotten a lot of great advice but I would like to add that you don't want to over plan, taking your time and just looking around where ever you are is what we really love, the details at WDW are amazing and are easily missed if rushing from one ride to the next.
We have found a lot of places to sit and watch the parades from but you have to be there at least an hour before, ask a cast member and they will be able to point them out to you.The areas we have found are Frontierland and the Train Station balcony at the Magic Kingdom, the Dwanii bar at the Animal Kingdom and the area at beginning of the parade route at Hollywood Studios. Watching most of the fireworks shows is not a problem from almost any seat because it is up in the air.
We usually try to get to the parks about 15 minuets after opening so that we miss the opening crowds at rope drop and always wait to leave at the end of a show until the crowd thins out , there is no hurry to leave the parks even if the closing time is listed at the end of the fireworks, take your time so that by the time you get to the bus stop most of the crowds have already left. Disney will make sure you get back your resort , buses will continue come until the park is clear.
I would also suggest the Passporters Open Mouse book, it is full of help for seniors. I also recommend riding the dark rides at night so your eyes don't have to adjust from bright sunlight to the dark,you see a lot more this way.
We always go by ourselves so that we can do what we want when we want and Disney provides for all ages but not all together all the time as each age has separate needs and wants. A Good guide book (Passporter and Open Mouse) studied ahead of time can make a big difference in the quality of your trip.
I hope they will love:love: Disney World as much as we do and don't be surprised if they want to go back again. If you need more info please PM me.

I think I'd recommend the cane with seat easy to carry when not needed yet they would have a seat when needed an if worst comes to worst they can always easily wack someone over the head with it HAHAHA

I would suggest them arriving at the parks a few mins after opening to avoid the mad rush at rope drop. At Epcot go get a fast pass for Soaring an do the Land an maybe eat lunch then go back an do Soaring.

At park closing if they still there have them find a bench an wait till most of the crowd is gone then slowly make their way to their bus stop an catch one of the last busses to their resort much less standing that way I think.

If they find themselves in the position of no seats left on bus an maybe having to stand they can step aside an wait for the next bus YEAH standing is a pain but much safer than standing on a bus.

Afternoon break back to the resort to escape crowds an heat maybe take a nap is almost a must something we really enjoy doing an I think they might need that.

Make sure they know that to see some of the shows in world showcase they will have to stand. We have not done those shows in 20 yrs because we'd rather save our energy for something we enjoy more.

When it's hot we try to do indoor stuff in the heat of the day right before we go back to our room for our break an right when we return to park about dinner time.

Remind them disney is not about quanity an doing everything but quality an enjoying what you do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter