• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OLD THREAD: 2012 Beach and Yacht FAQ, Part 2- May, June and July DON'T POST HERE!

MickeyT said:
We did. Not a relaxing trip at all. We went more commando than I ever thought we would, but had a blast. Would you believe I did not even set foot in SAB.

We really thought about y'all with the rain. DW did the "OH NO" when it started raining. Looking forward to reading the rest of your wedding report to see how it all came out!

The quick version is we ( my girls and some friends) were stuck under the lighthouse when the storm started because we had just missed the boat. With the lightning, the boats stop running. An hour later we were rescued by a covered golf cart from the Swan and our ceremony was moved inside. It wasn't until a couple days later that I saw the phone and room service number on the wall of the lighthouse. If I saw it sooner I might have tried it out ;) it will definitely be memorable.

Carl thinks it is really cool that I am chatting with you now.

We will be arriving on Sunday and I am getting very excited. My girls have just started getting excited because school is out (the pressure is off). Yesterday I started second guessing my ADRs and changed a couple. I think I am happy with them now. Now I am second guessing the resort. I picked beach club off the recommendations on disboards. I liked the idea of having a great pool for my teen girls and then skip the watermarks. Also we got free dining so felt good about it all. When picking it I did not realize that not all the rooms have a balcony. I am already requesting a room with a daybed so feel getting a balcony is not that likely. Should I change our reservations to Yacht club? Is that possible at this late date? Please give me your toughest.:confused3

:welcome:

Would you like to be added to the Page 1 Be Our Guest list? What are your dates in August?

:yay:

It looks like you already know that you will love the wonderful location of the Yacht Club and the awesome pool and slide!

I think a lot of the YC Standard view rooms will be along the front side of the resort, overlooking the parking lot area. As far as areas that are best- if you would like to be close to the pool/lobby you could request that, or ask to be close to an elevator.

Thank you!!
Yes please feel free to add us to the list. We'll be at Universal's Royal Pacific for 3 days first, but we get to the Yacht Club on August 26th and check out on Sept 2nd:)
Got a great rate with Magical Vacations. Had to get 2 day base tickets to get the promotion, but if you remove the cost of 5 two day base tickets the room portion worked out to 165.00 per night:banana:
We have AP's but we are bringing dd's friend who doesn't have tickets so I confirmed she can use all of the 2 day tickets. Normally I would have saved the tickets to use against next years AP's but they aren't upgradable. Each ticket also includes one waterpark or Disneyquest visit as well:banana:

All in all a great deal, cheaper than AoA was going to be, and we get to try the Yacht Club at a good price so we are thrilled.

We will be arriving on Sunday and I am getting very excited. My girls have just started getting excited because school is out (the pressure is off). Yesterday I started second guessing my ADRs and changed a couple. I think I am happy with them now. Now I am second guessing the resort. I picked beach club off the recommendations on disboards. I liked the idea of having a great pool for my teen girls and then skip the watermarks. Also we got free dining so felt good about it all. When picking it I did not realize that not all the rooms have a balcony. I am already requesting a room with a daybed so feel getting a balcony is not that likely. Should I change our reservations to Yacht club? Is that possible at this late date? Please give me your toughest.:confused3

Personal opinion. Coming from a BC veteran that has stayed at YC once. If a balcony is that important I would call reservations tomorrow and switch. It may not even be possible with the particular discount you received. Even if switch is not possible you still have around a 50/50 chance for a full balcony at the BC.

And remember. BC with a small balcony is still a great place to be. It can be terribly hot down there right now and sitting out on a balcony can be :furious:

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Personal opinion. Coming from a BC veteran that has stayed at YC once. If a balcony is that important I would call reservations tomorrow and switch. It may not even be possible with the particular discount you received. Even if switch is not possible you still have around a 50/50 chance for a full balcony at the BC.

And remember. BC with a small balcony is still a great place to be. It can be terribly hot down there right now and sitting out on a balcony can be :furious:

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Do all the rooms without a full balcony have a small balcony? I think I am just getting nervous because it is an expensive trip and I feel everything should be perfect. I have planned the whole trip so am feeling the pressure of hoping everybody likes my choices. My family doesn't like to make decisions and I get sensitive if they are not happy.

Do all the rooms without a full balcony have a small balcony? I think I am just getting nervous because it is an expensive trip and I feel everything should be perfect. I have planned the whole trip so am feeling the pressure of hoping everybody likes my choices. My family doesn't like to make decisions and I get sensitive if they are not happy.

Yes. Three types. Full size, Juliet(small) or a patio on ground floor.

Here's a photo of the Juliet and full balconies.

beachclubday2026.jpg

Just bringing this back up since there was no response yesterday.

I did check the menu on allears, and it still says sliders.

]
Question for anyone who has eaten at Captain's Grille recently or anyone who is there now that can find out for me.

Did they switch from the lobster sliders back to a lobster roll? The CG menu on the Dis that says its updated as of 5/2012 says "New England style lobster roll" so I was wondering if they changed back.

Thank you!

I have planned the whole trip so am feeling the pressure of hoping everybody likes my choices. My family doesn't like to make decisions and I get sensitive if they are not happy.

I know that many on this board know exactly how you feel. We are the planners. We are the ones with great expectations. We are the ones who want to make sure everyone else has a great vacation. May I just say this? HAKUNA MATADA!!!! You are at the happiest place on earth. Your family is going to have a great time regardless of what happens. Sit back, enjly the fruits of your labor and leave the worries behind. The biggest thing to remember is to go with the flow. If you planned something, but they are enjoying something else, just stay with the moment. Forcing the action only adds to frustration which then makes you unhappy. Heaven knows I've made this mistake more than once over the years.

As far as the balcony, if a full balcony is important, you can call and ask. However, as Mike indicated, it is hot and humid and unless you are out there early in the morning or late at night, you really aren't going to use it. Yes, you will have a balcony if you don't have a full one. You just won't be sitting out there enjoying a morning cup of coffee.

I hope you have a great vacation. I know your family will.

MickeyT took a lot of pictures of the Ale & Compass continental breakfast area during his trip in June. As some of you may recall- you can get a decent cup of coffee here. :love: :coffee:

I have created an Ale & Compass Continental Breakfast post in the Resort Photo thread, and I have linked to this post in the Dining section of Page 1.

From what I have read, this area opens at 6:30, but I am not sure what time the Continental Breakfast offering ends. I also read that you may use the Disney Dining Plan, but I'm not sure what qualifies for a snack or QS meal credit.

If anyone is able to check out this information in an upcoming trip, I would appreciate it!!!

Dee

Looking for a decent cup of coffee or a quick breakfast when you are staying at the Yacht & Beach Club resort?

The Ale & Compass, a lounge at the Yacht Club, offers a continental breakfast from 6:30 am to XX am.

TBA- do any of these items count as snacks or meals on DDP???

Here are a few photos taken by MickeyT (Mike) in June 2012.

The last two pictures in this post were taken by Niki in NJ on a previous trip.

AC7.jpg

AC14.jpg

AC5.jpg

AC9.jpg

AC10.jpg

AC16.jpg

AC12.jpg

AC1.jpg

AC4.jpg

Thanks for the pictures, MickeyT!!!

IMG_21432-2.jpg

IMG_21412-1.jpg

Thanks for the pictures, Niki in NJ!!!

A few questions for you- are you on the dining plan or do you plan on paying for meals out of pocket?

We are not on the dining plan. I was hoping to be able to just go off of their schedule If they seem hot and hungry, it could be a perfect time to go sit down at whatever restaurant is closest to us!

Thanks for answering so many of the questions. I was just checking out some the menus and noticed for kids pick most of the meals come with 1% milk, but since my boys are under 2 they are still only drinking whole (they were 8 weeks early, still tiny) so they absolutely need whole milk.

Can't wait to see the pictures!

Have you heard about Garden Grocer?

We've used them several times. You can order milk, fresh fruit, cereal etc. to keep in your room. It won't help you out at the parks that much but it's great to have in your room for early morning breakfasts and afternoon snacking!

There are not words. How I got so lucky to find that one particular dude ranch??? Mickey Mouse helped. I did lots of research but boy did I get it right. Once I narrowed it down to ten ranches that met what I wanted, I noticed Elk Mountain was in Buena Vista, Colorado. I knew Mickey sent me a sign.

Elk Mountain Ranch taught me what good guest service is all about. I learned a lot. Honestly, if anybody here wants to experience unbelievable scenery, the best horses west of the Mississippi, unbelievable guest service, fantastic food, great white water rafting, shooting, archery, volleyball, picnics (half way through your ride), super cabins and an unbelievable child's program, you MUST book a week at Elk Mountain Dude Ranch in Buena Vista, Colorado. I thought I knew good guest service. They put Disney to shame. The owners, Sue and Tom, are amazing people and the people they hire could all teach Disney guest service! After spending the first evening getting to know you, they match you to the perfect horse. They never missed one out of the 24 people there our week.

The children all cried when they left Sunday. I cried too. The wranglers all cried with relief when Jeanne left. They had their hands full with her. She showed them a thing or two playing volleyball, softball, etc. And she taught them all Texas Hold Em. I decided the white water rafting (which can be pretty wild in May and June) might hurt my back so I decided to stay back and take a nice trail ride with one of the wranglers. Jeanne had a ball. So many firsts. We found out she has quite a talent at shooting, fishing and archery too and square dancing will soon be taught at her school. She had so much fun. But you can sit back and do nothing too if you want.

My only regret was I wished I had done it when I was a tad younger and in better shape.

I strongly suggest anybody that goes need to go talk to their family doctor about two weeks before. Thank goodness for my family doctor. She did a dude ranch a few years ago and saw what that super high altitude can do. She gave me a prescription that I started every day for a week before I went and then every day while there. Jeanne's doctor also gave her the same prescription. And we saw what that high altitude can do first hand. Jeanne and I were the only ones on the prescription and also the only people there that didn't lose at least one day to headaches and stomach problems. The side effects are funny though. Our hands and feel would tingle once in a while and anything you drank that was carbonated tasted very strange. The prescription did not help the fact that walking ten feet make you huff and puff. Kids didn't seem to be bothered but the rest of us were really funny. We'd walk from the cabins to dinner and all be out of breath.

I never in my life thought I'd ever say a place could out do Disney with guest service. Elk Mountain in Colorado (there is one in some other state too so don't get them mixed up) just blew my socks off!

Dee will post more pictures when Jeanne downloads the ones from her camera. The others were from her phone. The pictures won't do the ranch justice or the scenery. I highly recommend this place for anybody, ages 5 and up. There were younger children there our week but I personally would say age 5 and up. And honestly even if you are my age and never been on a horse, do it!!!! The third day a bunch of us didn't want quite as long a trail ride as was planned and told Tom and Sue. No problem, they rearranged the group and made ones of varying lengths of time. They will do anything for you ... obviously as long as it is safe. The terrain is wild. Once in a while they get people who want to gallop up and down mountains that are covered with rock (I don't know how the horses do it walking). You are always with fantastic wranglers and you are always safe!!!

If anybody has any questions about it, please PM me since this isn't Y&B business. Jeanne said as we were leaving, "I don't care if I have to save for this for ten years, I'm bringing Princess Lily here when she's old enough!!!!!" That pretty much says it all. I'd go again in a second!!!!!!

Welcome back Teena!!!

Love the pics and love the huge smiles on the faces of you and Jeanne!! I'm so glad you two got to have such a wonderful trip together! Soooooooo well deserved after the year you went through last year!!

So happy for the both of you!

Jay

There are not words. How I got so lucky to find that one particular dude ranch??? Mickey Mouse helped. I did lots of research but boy did I get it right. Once I narrowed it down to ten ranches that met what I wanted, I noticed Elk Mountain was in Buena Vista, Colorado. I knew Mickey sent me a sign.

Elk Mountain Ranch taught me what good guest service is all about. I learned a lot. Honestly, if anybody here wants to experience unbelievable scenery, the best horses west of the Mississippi, unbelievable guest service, fantastic food, great white water rafting, shooting, archery, volleyball, picnics (half way through your ride), super cabins and an unbelievable child's program, you MUST book a week at Elk Mountain Dude Ranch in Buena Vista, Colorado. I thought I knew good guest service. They put Disney to shame. The owners, Sue and Tom, are amazing people and the people they hire could all teach Disney guest service! After spending the first evening getting to know you, they match you to the perfect horse. They never missed one out of the 24 people there our week.

The children all cried when they left Sunday. I cried too. The wranglers all cried with relief when Jeanne left. They had their hands full with her. She showed them a thing or two playing volleyball, softball, etc. And she taught them all Texas Hold Em. I decided the white water rafting (which can be pretty wild in May and June) might hurt my back so I decided to stay back and take a nice trail ride with one of the wranglers. Jeanne had a ball. So many firsts. We found out she has quite a talent at shooting, fishing and archery too and square dancing will soon be taught at her school. She had so much fun. But you can sit back and do nothing too if you want.

My only regret was I wished I had done it when I was a tad younger and in better shape.

I strongly suggest anybody that goes need to go talk to their family doctor about two weeks before. Thank goodness for my family doctor. She did a dude ranch a few years ago and saw what that super high altitude can do. She gave me a prescription that I started every day for a week before I went and then every day while there. Jeanne's doctor also gave her the same prescription. And we saw what that high altitude can do first hand. Jeanne and I were the only ones on the prescription and also the only people there that didn't lose at least one day to headaches and stomach problems. The side effects are funny though. Our hands and feel would tingle once in a while and anything you drank that was carbonated tasted very strange. The prescription did not help the fact that walking ten feet make you huff and puff. Kids didn't seem to be bothered but the rest of us were really funny. We'd walk from the cabins to dinner and all be out of breath.

I never in my life thought I'd ever say a place could out do Disney with guest service. Elk Mountain in Colorado (there is one in some other state too so don't get them mixed up) just blew my socks off!

Dee will post more pictures when Jeanne downloads the ones from her camera. The others were from her phone. The pictures won't do the ranch justice or the scenery. I highly recommend this place for anybody, ages 5 and up. There were younger children there our week but I personally would say age 5 and up. And honestly even if you are my age and never been on a horse, do it!!!! The third day a bunch of us didn't want quite as long a trail ride as was planned and told Tom and Sue. No problem, they rearranged the group and made ones of varying lengths of time. They will do anything for you ... obviously as long as it is safe. The terrain is wild. Once in a while they get people who want to gallop up and down mountains that are covered with rock (I don't know how the horses do it walking). You are always with fantastic wranglers and you are always safe!!!

If anybody has any questions about it, please PM me since this isn't Y&B business. Jeanne said as we were leaving, "I don't care if I have to save for this for ten years, I'm bringing Princess Lily here when she's old enough!!!!!" That pretty much says it all. I'd go again in a second!!!!!!

I'm so happy you had an amazing trip!! For all the help you provide to all of us on the boards, you surely deserve nothing but the best! BUT I am so glad you are back to give us all the scoop on our fave resorts :)

Spending our arrival night at the All Star resort before moving to the Beach Club the next morning. My question: if we buy mugs at AS, are we okay to then use them for the next week at the BC? Thanks.

This is OT from your actual question, but had to share my experience with you. Last year, we did the exact thing as you plan to do. Our flight got in late (10pm'ish) to MCO so we decided not to spend the money for the BC room on our arrival night. We stayed at All Star Sports and then transfered in the morning. If I had it to do over again, I would NOT recommend this. The next morning, we had to take a cab from All Star and lug our luggage to BC and check in all over again. It actually wasted a lot of time (and we got to BC early, around 9:30am). In hindsight, we should have just stayed at the Hyatt Regency INSIDE the MCO airport and then caught the earliest Magical Express bus straight to the BC! It looks like rooms at the Hyatt are around $140/night.

Just a little advice from someone who walked in your shoes last year!

So glad you had a fantastic time Teena!!!! You and Jeanne are so very lucky to have each other!:love::love: I can't wait to look at the pictures!

Teena - so glad you're back and that you had such a fantastic time.
I never even considered a dude ranch vacation before but you definitely make it sound wonderful. I'm betting my kids (especially the 14 year old dd) would love it! Sounds like Jeanne was the belle of the ball.

You spend so much time making other people's vacation magical that I'm so happy that you got to be ont he receiving end for a change.

Can't wait to see the rest of the pictures, but the ones that I saw told it all. Smiles all around.

Welcome home!

I know that many on this board know exactly how you feel. We are the planners. We are the ones with great expectations. We are the ones who want to make sure everyone else has a great vacation. May I just say this? HAKUNA MATADA!!!! You are at the happiest place on earth. Your family is going to have a great time regardless of what happens. Sit back, enjly the fruits of your labor and leave the worries behind. The biggest thing to remember is to go with the flow. If you planned something, but they are enjoying something else, just stay with the moment. Forcing the action only adds to frustration which then makes you unhappy. Heaven knows I've made this mistake more than once over the years.

As far as the balcony, if a full balcony is important, you can call and ask. However, as Mike indicated, it is hot and humid and unless you are out there early in the morning or late at night, you really aren't going to use it. Yes, you will have a balcony if you don't have a full one. You just won't be sitting out there enjoying a morning cup of coffee.

I hope you have a great vacation. I know your family will.

Thanks for the encouragement. I have told them all that my planning is done and it is up to them what to do in each park and at the end of the week to decide what park they want to visit. Three of the days I have picked the park for at least the evening because of late EMH. Our table service reservations are made and they can decide the QS depending on where we are when they are hungry. We are from the west coast so staying up late should be a breeze for us. Luckily, Mk has late EMH our first night, Hs on our second night, and Epcot on our third night. Thanks for the cute saying I will keep it in mind. :)

Hey everyone! I check this board daily and I love how helpful everyone is. My family (DH, myself, and twin sons- 20months at trip time) will be staying at the Yacht Club starting August 17. I've only made one ADR, as I'm not quite sure how the boys are going to nap, adapt their schedule etc. However, I am now having doubts about only having 1 ADR. Do you think I should be trying to make more? Is it really difficult to get into the restaurants at the hotel without reservations?

Next question- They currently drink 3 sippy cups of milk a day. Do they sell individual whole milk containers at the parks? I think the rooms have a minifridge, would I be able to put a freezer pack in there to put in a cooler with me to take into the parks? (I actually feel stupid asking this, but I haven't really looked at a minifridge since college)

And another one- Yacht Club Breakfast: I think I read someplace that you can get some breakfasty food at the Yacht Club Lounge? What type of food? The boys eat A LOT of fresh fruit, will I be able to get this places??

I'm starting to get a little nervous and unprepared. I've been to Disney 20+ times, but this is our very first family vacation and really the first time my DH and I will have spent an entire week in Disney. We will also have our car with us since we are driving from PA, but once I'm at the resort, I'm sure I won't want to drive anywhere!

Thanks,
Tracy

If you wanted to make sure you can get milk in the parks, you can buy the small boxes of shelf stable milk I believe you can get them in whole if not then maybe 2% which would be better than skim, then just put a few pieces of ice in the sippy cup and add your milk, unless they are not fussy about whether the milk is cold or not, then just give them the warm cartons they have a little straw with them just like a juice box. The milk doesn't not need to be refridgerated and I travel with them a lot (not for a kid but for me :rotfl:). I just pop one in the fridge or ice chest when I want cold milk. As far as freezer packs I don't think the small fridges will freeze well but you can always throw in a baggie of ice.

Just went to look and whole is in the 32oz cartons but not the little ones, sorry. Could you use the lowfat in the parks and stick to whole at the resorts. My nephews were premies and on whole milk for a long time but if we couldn't get it the Doc said any milk is acceptable and better than skipping it, so we did whole at home and whatever we could get in resturants or when at someone's house.

Hi everyone! Long time, no post..... I can't get over how quickly Dee has to start up a new thread from all the posts that occur for the YC/BC!

I feel lost since I'm usually planning a trip to the Beach Club for this month, so I'm getting my fix through all of you...keep those pictures and trip reports coming! I can live vicariously through all of you...

For those of you who didn't know, my mother lost her 3.5 year battle with Stage IV breast cancer on June 12 :sad1: She was 61 years young.... My girls and I are trying to keep Dad company as much as possible and my 9 year old hopes that in the coming years, we can bring him with us to the Beach Club (he's only ever stayed at Ft. Wilderness in the cabins when we were kids...)

I just wanted to check in and say that I do enjoy reading all your posts and feel as though I've missed tons! I have a lot of reading to do...

Live update from BC:

Yesterday was another great day. Once again I lost to DH at TSM. Rode RNR and then went back to chill at SAB. It was hot hot hot so we were in and out of the lazy river all day long. Left SAB and went to our room to shower. We could not decide on dinner and so ii looked to see what was available for 7:30 and low and behold a last minute CA Grill was there:goodvibes
We took the monorail to the Contemporary Resort and had a fabulous dinner and watched Wishes. We left a few minutes early and it is good that we did . The monorail from TTC to Epcot was down so they were directing people to buses to Epcot which were busy cause there were EMH there. We arrived before the big rush because we got out early . But as our bus left the line behind was longgggggggg.

This morning we had a fabulous breakfast at Captains Grill . So very good . I highly recommend.

We only have had one slight snafu which has seemingly worked out anyway. A couple days ago DH decided we should add a day . I checked online and there were rooms so I went to the front desk who told me to call the reservation center so I could keep the AP discount on the new day. When I called they told me that I needed to add on at the front desk:confused3 so back to herring desk I went and thy told me the hotel was sold out . I asked if that was for the AP rate or any rate ? They told me every rate , the rooms were oversold and I should try YC. I pulled up the booking page and showed them all room types with and without AP rate show availability. They told me no can do. At this point I was super frustrated so Dh booked through the pass older page with a discount. Now I was like ??? So much for oversold. This morning DH went back to the front dsk and asked if we could keep our room instead of checking out and then back in. They said it was already done in the computer.... Which is awesome but still can. It figure out he 2 hour run around I got with calling and the front desk and being told no room in the inn. All is well that ends well though.
Off to the lazy river:banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter