• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

old style driving licence(paper style)

a jay

Mouseketeer
This year we are taking my Dad with us on holiday. He wants to share some of the driving but he has an old style licence. Does he need to change it to a plastic one?

would advise to get one,you also us it as an id card when cashing TC`s.better than lugging round pasport or a photo copy.if you dont, think you will still be fine as long as you present your passport with it when getting car
Paul

As far as I know the old style should be fine, as my sil used hers last yr as a second driver.
I'm sure someone will be along to clarify!

as Paul has pointed out- you can use the new plastic one for id purposes as well- so might be worth it in the long run to get the new one.
Paul we must of posted at the same time!!!

old paper ones are fine, and if you get stopped for any minor motering offence less likely to charge you as paper ones are just a hassel to them. most places accept passport to cash travellers cheques so don't add any expense to your hols by getting a new plastic licn

Thanks for this link - it's very helpful. Didn't realise I could do this online - thought I had to go to the post office and fill in loads of forms (which has always put me off!). So I'll have a go as soon as their system is up and running again.

He'll be fine with an old style one. I've got one and have never had an issue all the times I've rented a car. He doesn't need any other id either, just turn up with the licence as you would a new style one.

I love my paper licence - when I got stopped for speeding in Florida :rolleyes1 the police officer didn't understand it when he unfolded it so he just told me not to do it again. I honestly believe it was down to this enormous piece of paper.;)

David

Spot on this, my pops is a neetmare for forgetting stuff, we go to Canada in 4 weeks and I need him to sort for cashing TC's etc and its easier all round. All he needs to do is remember tro come round and where i live....and oh yes get his old licence and passport.

Did this today but not a £10er but £22. Bit long winded aswell but it is sorted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter