• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Old Navy Debuts Gay Pride T-Shirts For It Gets Better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. I'm sure there are many here on the DIS who really don't care for the Gay lifestyle but they sure as heck aren't going to say anything. Which is exactly the problem: easy to shout people down in public, but you WILL have to get used to living with how they vote a'la Prop 8 in CA and all the amendments to state constitutions limiting marriage to one man and one woman.
Actually, it's not that no one wants to listen to them anymore. I'm sure they'll find plenty of outlets elsewhere. It's just that people who don't want to hear it won't have to hear it - once again - in public. Privately, these people whom you're perfectly fine with stifling will vote, choose job candidates and not do business based on their private feelings on the matter.

And then people will stand around wondering "Wha' hoppen?"
because it seemed that everyone was on board with their agenda but somehow it got soundly defeated by the majority.

Isn't that whats going on now though? Take NYC no gay marriage, it seems unfathomable that a city that embraces the LGBT community so much hasn't changed this. Same with Prop 8. As much as there is a voice for it there are double as many silent ones against it.
You really don't know and even someone who is saying they support the cause might only be doing just that.

I wanted to add this aside, last year my company for the first time in history participated in the local Pride Parade, displaying our company logo prominently and having our mascot waiving to the crowd.

We knew there could be backlash, but we understood that, but more importantly realized it was more important to show our diversity and that we supported the LGBT community. The next day, in the local paper, there was an article from a "concerned citzen" (exactly that way, they obviously were avoiding using their name) that they wanted to know every company that sponsored or participated in the Pride Parade and the following festival so they could protest the company as well as boycott their services.

The article was subsequently posted on the online community forum for the paper and people were listing some of the company names, but what was funny is myself and others pointed out specific companies for the purpose of showing how much of a hypocrite the person was.

Some of the supporters included the local newspaper (where the article was posted), local utility company (without them, they probably wouldn't be able even see to write the letter)and local cable company (cable, highspeed internet, phone, etc). I think if the individual boycotted just these three alone, they'd realize how much a hypocrite they were because these are major corporations that realize discrimination should not be tolerated and I'm sure the person uses their resources all the time.

Isn't that whats going on now though? Take NYC no gay marriage, it seems unfathomable that a city that embraces the LGBT community so much hasn't changed this. Same with Prop 8. As much as there is a voice for it there are double as many silent ones against it.
You really don't know and even someone who is saying they support the cause might only be doing just that.

NYC is not a completely seperate entity to NYS, so they also have to follow state law, which does not allow for gay marriage. Yes, NYC could put its own law on the books, but it wouldn't really do anything, they're better off working to support the representatives (and encourage people to do so) that will place the law on the books for NYS.

Some of these posts make me think that we're back in the stone age.

Any other comment I want to make would get me kicked off this board and I love Disney too much to do that.

SO, along with DISNEY, I will celebrate Gay Pride this month!
I don't know that we're back in the stone age, but there certainly isn't as much support for the Gay lifestyle as people would like to believe there is. As I mentioned before - just because people's opinions are stifled doesn't mean they still don't hold those opinions and act on them.

Personally, I couldn't care less what someone's sexual preference is. It makes no difference to me. But because I keep my mouth shut and don't attack people when their opinions are different than mine, I get hear a lot that other people wouldn't hear. And, based on how I see these kinds of votes turn out, much of what I hear supports my observations spoken here.

Enjoy your celebration.

Actually, it's not that no one wants to listen to them anymore. I'm sure they'll find plenty of outlets elsewhere. It's just that people who don't want to hear it won't have to hear it - once again - in public. Privately, these people whom you're perfectly fine with stifling will vote, choose job candidates and not do business based on their private feelings on the matter.

And then people will stand around wondering "Wha' hoppen?" because it seemed that everyone was on board with their agenda but somehow it got soundly defeated by the majority.

Too late -- the battle is largely lost (if you're on the discrimination side). A majority of people in just about every age group support the rights of gay people. Yes, older people vote in larger numbers, and recent legislative battles reflect that, but as the older voters die out, there are not legions of people coming up who feel the same way. Some, sure, but not enough to continue to create new discriminatory laws.

Even in super conservative demographics, most people under 30 do not see homosexuality as anything but a personal, individual matter, and not a "deviant choice."

I love it when folks try to assert gays are freakishly different from heterosexuals by usin' the word lifestyle. :lmao:

Oh 'n "agenda" like workin' for equal access 'n protection is somehow a dastardly plot to take over the world! :lmao:

Exactly. Or worse, people will say to other people's faces that they're all for the Gay agenda and get their pats on the back from Gay people and their supporters. But they'll vote otherwise in private.

Too late -- the battle is largely lost (if you're on the discrimination side). A majority of people in just about every age group support the rights of gay people. Yes, older people vote in larger numbers, and recent legislative battles reflect that, but as the older voters die out, there are not legions of people coming up who feel the same way. Some, sure, but not enough to continue to create new discriminatory laws.
Great. I'm happy for y'all.

I love it when folks try to assert gays are freakishly different from heterosexuals by usin' the word lifestyle. :lmao:

Oh 'n "agenda" like workin' for equal access 'n protection is somehow a dastardly plot to take over the world! :lmao:
I'm sorry, but I'm unaware of the right politically correct words to describe how someone lives and what their goals are. I live a heterosexual lifestyle and my agenda is to live a happy life. Others live a homosexual lifestyle and their agenda is whatever their agenda is.

I'm sorry if these words offend you. They weren't spoke so as to offend but, rather, to describe my opinions and feelings on the issue.

I'm sorry, but I'm unaware of the right politically correct words to describe how someone lives and what their goals are. I live a heterosexual lifestyle and my agenda is to live a happy life. Others live a homosexual lifestyle and their agenda is whatever their agenda is.

I'm sorry if these words offend you. They weren't spoke so as to offend but, rather, to describe my opinions and feelings on the issue.

:confused3 My "agenda" is the same as yours - to live a happy life.

Nobody has to support my big ol' "gay lifestyle", but supporting my right to a basic human right would be nice.

Your use of gay lifestyle 'n gay agenda isn't politically incorrect, in fact, I'm sure it's quite politically correct 'n I'm not at all offended, I'm actually a lot smarter than some think I am. :lmao:

Nobody has to support my big ol' "gay lifestyle", but supporting my right to a basic human right would be nice.
I'm not sure how much further I want to go with this or how much time I'm going to want to waste on it, but for the sake of argument:

Where has anyone, gay or straight, ever been guaranteed any "basic human right"? The only rights we're guaranteed (here in America) are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Nowhere are we guaranteed anything else. Being able to marry isn't a basic human right. Being able to adopt children isn't a basic human right. Being able to be included on your partner's health insurance isn't a basic human right.

Will Gay people face prejudice? Of course. So will Black people. So will women. I'm over 40, overweight, and female: a classic demographic that gets passed over for jobs all the time because of my age and weight. Unfair? You betcha. Anything I can do about it? Nope. Except to keep looking to until I found a place where they weren't prejudiced against me based on those physical attributes. I found it and am probably happier at my current place of work than I ever would have been at those other places who found me lacking because of what was on the outside.

I'm not sure how much further I want to go with this or how much time I'm going to want to waste on it, but for the sake of argument:

Where has anyone, gay or straight, ever been guaranteed any "basic human right"? The only rights we're guaranteed (here in America) are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Nowhere are we guaranteed anything else. Being able to marry isn't a basic human right. Being able to adopt children isn't a basic human right. Being able to be included on your partner's health insurance isn't a basic human right.

But are you able to marry the person you love in any state? Yes.

I get why Old Navy did this and I really like the sentiment behind it but I can't see any of my gay friends wearing these. They don't view themselves as different/special though.

Same thing with the GAP RED promotion. The only people I've know to wear them would never consider donating time or effort to help a cause. They just want everyone to know that they're in with the cause. They think wearing a silly shirt does that.

I won't waste much of my time, but here's a hint: read some case law on marriage, issues of privacy 'n the 14th amendment to the US Consitution.

And enjoy your heterosexual privileges. :goodvibes

Agreed but let's stand back and look at the BIG picture:
Basic human right that is vital
Housing VS Gay Marriage
Appropriate education VS gay marriage
Health Care VS gay marriage

Gay marriage as much of a "human right" as some want to call it, it is not the most important one right now. There are some serious issues going on in this country at the moment I personally don't feel like gay marraige is high on the priority list. It's there but just not high to me. Could we possibly fix the things that are REALLLy tearing this country apart and then work on Gay Unions or coupling or whatever it will be called? Marriage is not a right. Saying marriage is a "human right" seems weird to me because your union to your spouse is between you and them. No states recognition makes it valid or even invalid.

State recognizes it then what? You get to pay taxes together? what doesn't it really mean? (i'm not being sarcastic here I'm really looking for an answer because i don't understand what the big deal is.)

Your use of gay lifestyle 'n gay agenda isn't politically incorrect, in fact, I'm sure it's quite politically correct 'n I'm not at all offended, I'm actually a lot smarter than some think I am. :lmao:

You are VERY smart!!:thumbsup2
This I know.

Housing VS Gay Marriage

Gay marriage as much of a "human right" as some want to call it, it is not the most important one right now. There are some serious issues going on in this country at the moment I personally don't feel like gay marraige is high on the priority list. It's there but just not high to me. Could we possibly fix the things that are REALLLy tearing this country apart and then work on Gay Unions or coupling or whatever it will be called? Marriage is not a right. Saying marriage is a "human right" seems weird to me because your union to your spouse is between you and them. No states recognition makes it valid or even invalid.

State recognizes it then what? You get to pay taxes together? what doesn't it really mean? (i'm not being sarcastic here I'm really looking for an answer because i don't understand what the big deal is.)

You would understand what the big deal was if you were not allowed to get married.

Gay marriage as much of a "human right" as some want to call it, it is not the most important one right now. There are some serious issues going on in this country at the moment I personally don't feel like gay marraige is high on the priority list. It's there but just not high to me.

If your child was gay, would it be a high priority to you then?

Housing VS Gay Marriage

And next year when the same problems exist, will gays still be told not now, we have more important things at hand than your civil rights?

And do you not know that those same issues are the same issues for gays except we're not included/represented in housin', employment 'n health issues?

There are over 1,100 rights that straight folks have that are denied to gays simply because they are gay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter