• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Old Muster Drill back?

Thank you so much for the information! Not exactly the way I expected my birthday cruise to start. Reading all of the replies here I am pretty nervous about the whole thing and how busy it’ll be. Are there specific places for specific floors?
There is no reason to be nervous about it. It's ultimately no worse than most lines or other places you might have to wait in life. It is definitely the second lowest point of the entire cruise (debarkation being the worst), but it is just 15-20 minutes of your trip. Going from your room (or wherever you are) to the muster station is easy enough - it's just a walk. As others have said the only really problematic part is standing in line waiting for the people who choose to show up 5-10 minutes after everyone else. The upshot is you feel so free when it's over. You know that the last tedious part of boarding and waiting for the vacation to start is over.

I wanted to calm your fears, but I actually just gave myself a new way to look at it. It will breeze past and you'll be enjoying your birthday before you know it. And, happy early birthday!!

There is no reason to be nervous about it. It's ultimately no worse than most lines or other places you might have to wait in life. It is definitely the second lowest point of the entire cruise (debarkation being the worst), but it is just 15-20 minutes of your trip.
In 42 years of cruising, never seen the muster drill as any big deal. Just part of getting oriented on your vacation on the ship, along with finding your stateroom, dropping off your carry on bags, and hoping your luggage makes it. And it is the last thing before the SAIL AWAY PARTY which kicks off your vacation. And it's only about 15 minutes.

Thank you so much for the information! Not exactly the way I expected my birthday cruise to start. Reading all of the replies here I am pretty nervous about the whole thing and how busy it’ll be. Are there specific places for specific floors?
It's really nothing to be nervous about, but knowledge is good to have so you're not surprised by being lined up by room, surrounded by other lines, and the loud emergency alarm. (My now 18 yr old really dislikes crowds and loud noises, so it's a good thing to be aware of before a cruise, but it's really not a big deal and does help you remember where you need to go in case of an emergency.) I don't think there is a list of Wish muster stations yet. It is by section though vs floor, so your muster station should have other rooms near you. Its meant to be relatively easy to get to in an emergency, so all the ones I've had on deck 4 have been on the same side as my room, and either aft if my room was aft or forward when my room was forward. Wish with the smaller promenade though...not sure where they'll have extra muster stations...might be more inside ones?

Thank you all so much for your replies, it’s put my mind at ease, I was envisioning an hours long ordeal! I am an experienced traveller but cruising is a whole new world to us! I’m back to being excited!! 😍
Lol, no, definitely not hours long! Drill is at 4pm and sail away party is at 4:30. It really is more like 15minutes, but good to arrive a few minutes early so you're not one of the stragglers. They do start calling staterooms over the intercom if they haven't shown up sometime after 4pm.

It's basically the equivalent of the flight safety speech you get on every airplane.

Thank you all so much for your replies, it’s put my mind at ease, I was envisioning an hours long ordeal! I am an experienced traveller but cruising is a whole new world to us! I’m back to being excited!! 😍
It's like the safety briefing on an airplane or a fire drill at school. Nothing to be worried about. It shouldn't last more than 15-20 mins and then you are officially on vacation!

Wish with the smaller promenade though...not sure where they'll have extra muster stations...might be more inside ones?
Our muster location was upstairs in Luna. I’m not sure how that will work when they have everyone actually physically come there for the muster drill because the hall is relatively narrow, and that upstairs area doesn’t have very many seats. Maybe they would put some people in to the pub…

Our muster location was upstairs in Luna. I’m not sure how that will work when they have everyone actually physically come there for the muster drill because the hall is relatively narrow, and that upstairs area doesn’t have very many seats. Maybe they would put some people in to the pub…
The area will only have enough staterooms to fit. They wont over capacity the area or use an overflow as in an emergency they need to fill that area with people and not block corridors or other venues. I am sure that the lifeboat station/s being held there will all fit in that's the whole point of using venues.

In 42 years of cruising, never seen the muster drill as any big deal. Just part of getting oriented on your vacation on the ship, along with finding your stateroom, dropping off your carry on bags, and hoping your luggage makes it. And it is the last thing before the SAIL AWAY PARTY which kicks off your vacation. And it's only about 15 minutes.
This ^^^ No biggie. Part of being safe. Just like a briefing on an airplane. I don't mind it and it kicks off your cruise vacation. Enjoy!

The area will only have enough staterooms to fit. They wont over capacity the area or use an overflow as in an emergency they need to fill that area with people and not block corridors or other venues. I am sure that the lifeboat station/s being held there will all fit in that's the whole point of using venues.

I am sure everyone assigned would fit, just wasn't sure how. Perhaps the number of people assigned to this particular station is small.

Back yesterday from a cruise on another line. Muster was an in Cabin video viewing, given a code number at video's end to enter in cabin phone then went to assigned Muster Station where Key Card was scanned.

It's ultimately no worse than most lines or other places

I found it to be similar to fireworks at Magic Kingdom but that is me. Essentially go in with the mindset that its something you have to get through for 30 mins and you will be fine. It is way worse than "most line" though IMO.

Most people's comments regarding the negative of muster drills has less to do with "I can't get through it" more so to "e-muster was so amazingly better, relaxing, and the correct way to start a vacation while still meeting safety requirements".

Another big negative with muster isn't even the sheer number of people trying to get to and from it but has to do with the wasted time waiting for everyone to show up.

Back yesterday from a cruise on another line. Muster was an in Cabin video viewing, given a code number at video's end to enter in cabin phone then went to assigned Muster Station where Key Card was scanned.

What is MSC?

Did I just win Jeopardy? hahaha, by the way how did you like it and which of the ships were you on? Oh and is the pizza the best at sea like many claim?

I will say how MSC does it is slightly negative as well as everyone still shows up at the same time. I like the ones where you can show up as you wish to avoid the crowds and every stacking in on each other.

I found it to be similar to fireworks at Magic Kingdom but that is me. Essentially go in with the mindset that its something you have to get through for 30 mins and you will be fine. It is way worse than "most line" though IMO.
Ok.....I was doing ok with the return of the old muster drill until you likened it to MK fireworks. 😳
Cast members herding you into masking tape corrals. People cutting through stepping on your feet, putting their children on their shoulders in front of you. Holding up their oversized ipads to record in front of you or over your shoulder. Tired kids crying and laying on the ground with their parents screaming at them to get up. The social media "influencers" needing their space to selfie and pose and smile and kiss their phones and........ok......back to therapy.

😁

Cast members herding you into masking tape corrals.

Personally just get there earlier so you get a spot off to the side of the area. I will say it depends on which muster location you get as well as to how quickly you can escape after its all done. Unlike MK which could take a long time to clear out at least with muster you can just stay put for another 5 mins and everyone will be cleared out so you don't need to fight any crowds.

Others might have a different experience but that was mine and what it looks like when watching old videos. I am crowd adverse though and prefer to avoid them (yes I go to WDW but I only plan around avoiding them like not really doing fireworks).

My personal plan if I were to go on a ship with normal muster:
- Get there early and pick a spot opposite of where people enter in and crowd in from
- Plan to wait a few minutes after complete to avoid the crowds clearing out

Soooo, now that the old muster is back, can we assume that all of the good things DCL has taken away since Covid are coming back this week, too? No more PAT for Platinum, onboard booking of specific future cruises, officers' pin trading, paper navigators upon request, etc.

I'm being facetious but really wish that I weren't.
DCL Doesn't get to make the calls on the Muster drill, thats the coast guard.

You're too busy with your cross and necessity to complain though so... Have fun taking that up with the government.

My personal plan if I were to go on a ship with normal muster:
- Get there early and pick a spot opposite of where people enter in and crowd in from
- Plan to wait a few minutes after complete to avoid the crowds clearing out

Prior to COVID changes, it was my experience on the 4 original ships as well as different muster areas, that as DCL guests arrive at their muster area, the CMs will fill in all space & seats leaving no space in between. Guests do not get choose their seat as they would a theater show, excursion meet-up, or deck party. It is more time-efficient than letting hundreds of people fill in empty space in such a short periodof time. You could try speaking to the CM at the entrance regarding an end-seat.

I think one big reason is that DCL can not verify that everyone did it. Mine never showed in the app since my app crashed more than it worked and the CM working the area said that the app never works in port so the 5-6 people at our muster station with us just left like we did with no photo of the station. Probably does not look good to the Coast Guard when you turn over that only half of the passengers verified being there.

I don't think the Coast Guard is allowing the app drill anymore. That was a concession to covid.
They are allowing it on other cruise lines and my understanding is it was given permanent authorization after they saw how well it was working on so many cruise lines.

As much as I hate the muster drill, it is really a good idea. I bet most of us who have cruised a fair bit can recite the majority of it even though we do not intently try to learn it. If there was an emergency, it is nice to know where to go and what to bring. Up until this thread, I never thought much about it (other than my hatred of it), but I now guess it's a good idea. Plus, the little bit of suffering really does make the line clear where your vacation starts. There is nothing quite like the freedom of ending that and hitting the sail away party!!

I think one big reason is that DCL can not verify that everyone did it. Mine never showed in the app since my app crashed more than it worked and the CM working the area said that the app never works in port so the 5-6 people at our muster station with us just left like we did with no photo of the station. Probably does not look good to the Coast Guard when you turn over that only half of the passengers verified being there.
Yeah, they did a poor implementation, if you went on Royal Caribbean, you could see how well it can work.

For those that are wondering, on Royal Caribbean, you:
  1. Watch the video on the app in your phone or the TV in your cabin and select who watched the video.
  2. Check in at the muster station and each guest has to be physically present at the muster station where they scan each card (or your SeaPass on your phone) and physically verify each person is there.
    1. If you haven't watched the video, they go over the instructions at the muster station.
Really isn't a hard system for them to have setup to do it properly, but Disney's IT rarely gets it right on the first go a round.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter