Old Key West vs Saratoga Springs

Ladyhawke10

Grand Floridian girl
We are thinking of going in December, and these are two resorts that have some availability. I haven't stayed at either. My son is 8 and loves great pools, so that is a consideration. Based on the decor, location, grounds, amenities, pool, etc. which would you recommend for a Christmas stay? Thanks ! :goodvibes

We prefer OKW.
We were supposed to stay at SS last time, but then i had a look at it before we stayed there (we were staying at multiple places that visit), and got that week switched to OKW.

the 2 BR at OKW is bigger than at SS. And i think there was a problem about having 2 beds in the second bedroom, but i can't remember. I also prefer the location and layout of OKW.

I think we need to know a bit more about what size room you would be in. A studio at OKW, while large, has two queen sized beds, and the studio at SSR has 1 queen and a pull-out sofa bed. I prefer the studios with the sofa bed so there's more seating for TV watching, snacking, etc.

There are two pools at SSR that have features kids would enjoy, and there are leisure pools sprinkled around both SSR and OKW. Both resorts have pool slides at the main pool.

HTH

When I am sitting on the balcony, I prefer OKW. When I am strolling the grounds, I prefer SSR.
A lot of people go look at the other resorts to see the Christmas decorations. If you plan on doing this then you should stay at SSR. It is so easy to get to other resorts from there.

We own at OKW and like it because it is the oldest DVC. That sounds weird but it also means more mature landscaping. There are huge trees everywhere. It doesn't look like it was just planted and the resort doesn't look like they are trying to be in another place, say upstate NY, as I get the feel at SSR.

JMO

I don't think that you would go wrong at either place. Both are very pretty. OKW has slightly larger rooms and as noted above, the studio layout is different. SSR is newer (esp. Grandstand) and as such has that "new car smell" with everything being in tip top shape.

Both are wonderful. We love SSR. Its newer and is more centrally located to DD.

However, over Christmas, I would probably stay at OKW. Its units are bigger and its quieter. Any insane peak crowded time, I would choose OKW first. Its really and quiet out of the way place to get away from all the craziness.

I would give the pool edge to OKW, but the main pool at SSR is nice too. Neither of these resorts is going to bowl you over with the Xmas decor...just because aside from check in you will probably not be in the decorated portions...both are large spread out places and while the common areas are decorated, you really do not spend much time in the common areas. But it is easy enough to resort hop around to take in the decor at the more traditional resorts.

If you are staying in a 1 or 2 BR, I would vote for OKW...because they are larger, have better balconies, etc. If you are staying in a studio I would opt for SSR because you will have a much nicer sitting area vs a regular hotel room type layout at OKW.

We would be staying in a studio.

One of the things I love is a lot of inviting ambience--that's why normally I love the GF and Poly so much, because you feel like you are in another world. Do either SSR or OKW have this quality?

BTW, I love horses so I was looking at the pics and thinking I liked SSR's decor, plus the zero entry pool looked neat, but then the grounds at OKW looked wonderful and sometimes the older resorts have more atmosphere.

Thanks for all the input so far :) :banana:

Can anyone report on the ambience between either, or both, resorts? Thanks so much for help!! :banana:

We are thinking of going in December, and these are two resorts that have some availability. I haven't stayed at either. My son is 8 and loves great pools, so that is a consideration. Based on the decor, location, grounds, amenities, pool, etc. which would you recommend for a Christmas stay? Thanks ! :goodvibes

pool amenities better at SSR, close walk to DTD, newer resort than OKW

We've stayed at both, and both have their own special qualities, however, with an 8 year old, I would give the edge to SSR and request a room in the new Grandstand section. Grandstand has a great water play area by the pool and a neat pool bar. It's also extremely close to the main amenities.

The zero entry main pool (High Rock Springs) at SSR is also wonderful and on certain evenings they show movies there as well. My 5 year old DGD loved the pool at SSR. :)

Although we've not stayed at either during Christmas, I've heard that the holiday decorations at SSR were also wonderful.

We were at SSR this summer for the first time. We thought the resort was beautiful and the studio room very roomy and nicely decorated. We liked the little kitchenette counter area not found in non DVC.

There is a relaxed resort ambiance there. In comparison (if you've stayed at these places) I woud say that BWI (within the resort) has a quiet, upscale ambiance and AKL has an elegant, mysterious far off world ambiance.

The main pool does show movies on certain nights. They will give you a paper on the events going on there at the resort when you check in. We thought the main pool was kind of small for such a large resort. We were in the Springs section, which is closest to the main pool and restaurant. Still, it was a walk over there because we were in the back of the Springs section.

Overall, we liked SSR but we prefer a deluxe that is all in one building like BWI, AKL, WL, etc. We missed the interior hallways.

We fell in love with OKW on our upgraded stay this Spring. The main pool is a lot of fun for the kids. Plus, the other pools are nice as well if one is closer to your room. You mentioned liking feeling that you were in another world with the ambiance, decor, foliage, etc. Well, you will certainly feel that way at OKW. From the moment we arrived at 10PM at night, we knew we were in a special place. The whole place just screams relaxing, tropical vacation. I could've spent my whole stay just at the resort with the activities they offered, the pools, and the relaxation of just sitting on the balcony. Then we'd go to the parks and have fun, but be able to come back and just relax and slow down. I needed a real break this Spring and OKW let me feel like I had escaped somewhere and I came home more refreshed!

This is a hard decision! We have stayed at both of these resorts, and they are both beautiful. You will be happy with either resort.

I liked having 2 beds in the studio room at OKW. I liked the mature landscaping at OKW. The CM's at OKW seemed friendlier and more engaging. I loved the service at Olivias. OKW has a more laid back type of feel to it, almost sleepy (which after the day at the parks seemed welcoming).

SSR is newer and more energetic. I love the spa on-site, and the water jet play area at the big pool was a hit for our toddler. Since the resort is newer, the room furnishings are a little nicer than OKW. We have stayed at SSR twice, and enjoyed it both times. :banana:

I find myself suprised to say that if the rates/availability was the same, I'd pick OKW. The CM's working there have been there a long time and they really make a difference. :hippie:

Good luck!!!

We fell in love with OKW on our upgraded stay this Spring. The main pool is a lot of fun for the kids. Plus, the other pools are nice as well if one is closer to your room. You mentioned liking feeling that you were in another world with the ambiance, decor, foliage, etc. Well, you will certainly feel that way at OKW. From the moment we arrived at 10PM at night, we knew we were in a special place. The whole place just screams relaxing, tropical vacation. I could've spent my whole stay just at the resort with the activities they offered, the pools, and the relaxation of just sitting on the balcony. Then we'd go to the parks and have fun, but be able to come back and just relax and slow down. I needed a real break this Spring and OKW let me feel like I had escaped somewhere and I came home more refreshed!

Oh gosh, I was pretty much sold on SSR because I love horses and elaborate pool theming, and the pics of SSR's pool looked so great, but then this description sounded so desirable! I love the enveloping ambience of the Poly or GF, for example, and I was thinking that OKW sounded like it had that same type of wonderful feeling when you are relaxing around the resort (at dusk at the Poly, for example, is magical). Now I'm thinking OKW.... I still have a few days to decide, so I'll look at the pics again. Both themes look great so I am in the middle on the theming. I guess both resorts have outdoor buildings like the Poly as opposed to the hallways at the BC, for example. It is fun to try out a new WDW resort! :cloud9:

I would agree with the above poster. We own at OKW and while we've been staying at other resorts lately (due to teenager needing a bit more action at BWV), OWK is sooo relaxing and very peaceful. After a hectic day at the parks, it is so nice to head back to OKW and really feel like you've gotten away from the craziness.:love:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter