• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Old Key West Villas

csummerlin55

Mouseketeer
We are considering OKW for our next stay. My question is where is your preferred room location there? We will be booking a 2 bedroom and may have my 83YO DGM with us but don't want a handicapped room just access to the room by elevator if possible. The rest of the party will consist of 3 other adults and our 15, 12 and 7 YO. We are looking at July so we will probably be using that cute sandcastle slide to get away from some of the crowd. We are accustomed to BLT and AKV so I'm not sure how the quick serve at OKW will do for us. (DM and I have been there once during the D23 scavenger hunt for a few days without the rest of the family but we were too tired to care much about not having an indoor QS. We had to skip our annual trip last year and can only go during one of the two busiest weeks of the year so I want to try and make this as magical as possible. TIA!

We are considering OKW for our next stay. My question is where is your preferred room location there? We will be booking a 2 bedroom and may have my 83YO DGM with us but don't want a handicapped room just access to the room by elevator if possible. The rest of the party will consist of 3 other adults and our 15, 12 and 7 YO. We are looking at July so we will probably be using that cute sandcastle slide to get away from some of the crowd. We are accustomed to BLT and AKV so I'm not sure how the quick serve at OKW will do for us. (DM and I have been there once during the D23 scavenger hunt for a few days without the rest of the family but we were too tired to care much about not having an indoor QS. We had to skip our annual trip last year and can only go during one of the two busiest weeks of the year so I want to try and make this as magical as possible. TIA!

First, I am not sure there are elevators. I stayed in January... and didn't seem to recall seeing any.

Second, the QS location is not like most of the resorts. It really is more of a walk up stand with some picnic benches outside.

I would suggest attempting to book near hospitality house if you can. That will put you close to the main building. Otherwise, you will have to either drive to it or have quite the walk in order to use the feature pool.

There are only elevators in three building because most were built prior to them being required. (I only know this thanks to these boards, lol) thanks for the help!

You might want to post this question in the DVC Resorts board. There's a pretty comprehensive OKW thread. I'm staying for the first time in May. It looks so relaxing I can't wait!

The three newest buildings have elevators and accessible rooms. These buildings are very close to Hospitality House as well. As mentioned, Good's Foods to Go is a walk-up window, but they do have a varied menu. There is also the Turtle Shack at the Turtle Pond pool.

As other's have mentioned there are only a few buildings with elevators, you may want to put the need into a room request as well as fax it ahead of time. So that they can possibly work with you and arrange for something due to your circumstances. The buildings are quite spread out as quite a few back onto a golf course, and some are quite far from the hospitality house and main pool. The QS restaurant there has a limited menu with outdoor seating, however their TS Olivia's is quite good.

Happy planning!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter