Old Key West Resort

This will be my first trip to OKW and we're very excited!! :cool1: I can understand not wanting to push a stroller through the parking lots but from what I've read it is a 10 min walk from one end of the resort to the other -not far in my thinking.

Question on views ... We have a studio in the HH area. I've been told the vegetation is thick. Will we have much of a view if we get a ground floor unit?

OKW is our home resort and we almost always stay there...........about 9 trips so far.

The resort is well layed out, but as noted if your a anti bus group you may like one of the box resorts.

However, we have found the bus service to (almost) always be great......on time and running often. The buses run around the whole resort and you can get to the HH from anyhwere in a few minutes.

There was 3 pools, the small one mentioned before, which is really great to sit qiuetly and read or whatever. The main pool with the good stuff and Turtle crawl pool which is at the far end of the resort and our favorite.....pool, hot tub, a snack bar with fruity drinks and BBQ grills.We always plan one dinner time for the family to BBQ by the pool.

Whatever you decide..........have a great vacation.:cool1:

AKK

Since you're a seasoned OKW guest, which buildings/areas have you liked best and why? We'll be in a two bedroom in November. No small kids but always need to be near the refillable mug stations. :goodvibes

Since you're a seasoned OKW guest, which buildings/areas have you liked best and why? We'll be in a two bedroom in November. No small kids but always need to be near the refillable mug stations. :goodvibes

If you are in a 2 BR with a fully equipped kitchen, why would you need a refillable mug? For the cost of 2 mugs you could put 2 cases of soda in the fridge. No car? Have a grocery delivery service stock the cupboards.

One of the great advantages of the villa is the ability to skip the CS places for resort food and drink.
(and the whirlpool tub, washer and dryer, large balcony, big screen TV...)

Hi,
Could someone please give me a rough idea of the time it takes to get to the parks using Disney transport.

We have been to CSR a few times and foiund the journey times not too bad, so would love to know what people think of the buses and times when going from OKW.

Hi there!

We like the qiuet, layed back atomshere of the whole resort, and always stay at the far end, at Turtle crawl for the reasons I stated before!.

We dont use the refillable mugs, but I would expect the station to be around the main pool/HH area. There maybe one at turtle crawl, but I am not sure on that.(any one know? please chime in!!!)

Have a great vacation:thumbsup2

AKK

Yes, you can get refillable mugs filled at Turtle shack, but be aware Turtle Shack is only open seasonally, and on top of that may be closed on days with inclement weather.

If you are in a 2 BR with a fully equipped kitchen, why would you need a refillable mug? For the cost of 2 mugs you could put 2 cases of soda in the fridge. No car? Have a grocery delivery service stock the cupboards.

One of the great advantages of the villa is the ability to skip the CS places for resort food and drink.
(and the whirlpool tub, washer and dryer, large balcony, big screen TV...)

We just love the refillable mugs!! :thumbsup2 We've been SSR owners for awhile and have never stayed at OKW that's the reason for my question. I like to know the locale a bit before we get there. And we LOVE garden grocer. So convenient to have the groceries delivered

Hi there!

We like the qiuet, layed back atomshere of the whole resort, and always stay at the far end, at Turtle crawl for the reasons I stated before!.

We dont use the refillable mugs, but I would expect the station to be around the main pool/HH area. There maybe one at turtle crawl, but I am not sure on that.(any one know? please chime in!!!)

Have a great vacation:thumbsup2

AKK

Yes, you can get refillable mugs filled at Turtle shack, but be aware Turtle Shack is only open seasonally, and on top of that may be closed on days with inclement weather.

Thanks for the help! I'll check out that turtle crawl area. I know there's no guarantee as to placement, but I've found a broad smile and patience really helps at check-in time! ;)

I am going to OKW for the first time in a few weeks. I don't mind walking. Does anyone have experience walking from the furthest areas of the resort to the HH? Are there paths or do you have to walk in the road? How long does it take to walk from some of the furthest parts of OKW to HH? Thanks.

I am going to OKW for the first time in a few weeks. I don't mind walking. Does anyone have experience walking from the furthest areas of the resort to the HH? Are there paths or do you have to walk in the road? How long does it take to walk from some of the furthest parts of OKW to HH? Thanks.

probably 12-15 minutes - there are sidewalks. here's a detailed picture tour of walking from the HH to SSR to give you an idea:

link to mousesteps.

The walk from the furthest buildings (49 & 50) is approx 2/3 mile.
Heres a map of the resort.

okw.jpg
[/IMG]

I will be heading down to WDW on June 4-11, with my 21 yr old nephew and 14 & 8 yr old nieces, will be in an ECV most of the time due to upcoming ankle surgery. I am renting points from a DVC member and am going to have him request ground floor for that reason... The kids really like to be close to a nice pool. We will have a garden grocer delivery when we get there, but the kids always like to go to get something (food or souvenir) at the main building.

Does anyone have any reports about building 19 area? looks close to a fair sized pool and slightly close to HH... Are there sidewalks for those that don't want to take the bus around the resort? I would hate to have the kids to walk on the street.
Thanks in advance!
Betsy:thumbsup2

We stayed at Old Key West for one night in December and were so thrilled with the spectacular refurbished one bedroom unit :yay: We fell in love with the gorgeous resort and wanted to preview it for our 10 day trip in four days :love: We will also be in a one bedroom then too and cannot wait :woohoo: We are so looking forward to taking the boat to DownTown as we loved doing this from Port Orleans French Quarter :dance3:

This is a wonderful resort. For some reason, we resisted staying there for years. Then we finally did when it was the only place with availability one year when we decided to take an impromptu trip. Needless to say, it is now one of our favorites. :love:

We love OKW. Our favorite is South Points, buildings 53 thru 56. You are close to a quiet pool and the bus stop is first in the morning, so you never have to worry about standing on an already-crowded bus (which we never saw BTW last June).

One thing I hated was the fact that the laundry room is next to the pool. People would come to the pool to do their laundry and sit at a table and read a book or something while they were waiting. They would take up so many tables with one person doing laundry that the families would have nowhere to go to hang at the pool. There should be some sort of shaded pavilion area or something where the laundry-doers can go and not take up all the tables for the pool-goers. Or take a lounge chair, laundry folks!

We came back from OKW last week. We had asked to be as close as possible to HH upon check in. We stayed in Building 18 and couldnt have been more pleased. It was a short walk from our room to HH, and close to the Miller Road bus stop. There is a quiet pool adjasent to the bus stop, but we alwayed walked over to the main pool. The building is also close enough to the 1st bus stop that you wouldnt mind walking back to the room, instead of waiting for the buss to make the complete loop back to our stop. There are plenty of sidewalks and Disney Security politly encurages you to use them and not cut accross the parking lots :rolleyes1.

Hello I have a one week reservation for a 1BR Villa at Old Key West May 13th and this will be my first time at this property

hey jazz, we will be there in the same period; watch out for a cute blonde 2.5 year old, followed by a long haired dark little (half asian) mum, a big light brown haired dad with specs, a bellyround grandpa and a blonde grandma in tow :-)

We're also there that week. i'll be sure to wear my LGMH. Also our first time to OKW, can't wait

I will be heading down to WDW on June 4-11, with my 21 yr old nephew and 14 & 8 yr old nieces, will be in an ECV most of the time due to upcoming ankle surgery. I am renting points from a DVC member and am going to have him request ground floor for that reason... The kids really like to be close to a nice pool. We will have a garden grocer delivery when we get there, but the kids always like to go to get something (food or souvenir) at the main building.

Does anyone have any reports about building 19 area? looks close to a fair sized pool and slightly close to HH... Are there sidewalks for those that don't want to take the bus around the resort? I would hate to have the kids to walk on the street.
Thanks in advance!
Betsy:thumbsup2

If I were you I would have the person you are renting from request buildings 62, 63 or 64 for medical reasons, those 3 buildings have elevators and are also very close to HH.

I feel silly, but this will be our first time to OKW. What is located at the HH?
We'll be there June 30-July 11th.

I feel silly, but this will be our first time to OKW. What is located at the HH?
We'll be there June 30-July 11th.

Don't feel silly! The check-in area, a lounge/lobby area, the resort store, the TS restaurant Olivia's, a small bar, the recreation, rental center, and workout center, the feature pool, hot tub, and sauna, and the boat launch to DTD are in the HH area. There's also a small laundry for those staying in studios (there's one of these at each of the OKW pools). And there's a nice changing area. One of the bus stops is here as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter