Old Key West Resort

stkf

Earning My Ears
Hi,
I see that you can get Old Key West Resort for reduced rates from August until November. I looked for a couple of nights in August and it was only £1oo a night for a studio. Is this a good deal? Can anybody give me some feedback on what this resort is like?

Yes there is an offer on for both Old Key West and Saratoga Springs Resort, and the reduced price is proving very popular.

I have never been to OKW, but I know the rooms are the largest, it has a 'key west carribean' kind of theme to it with pastel coloured rooms.
It is split into several different tropical accomodations , such as Trinidad and I can't remember any others! , it is also the oldest of the DVC resorts.
The downside for me is the resort is vast and spread out over a large area, you could if you were on the outskirts be a decent walk or even a short drive to the hub of the resort. It is also not located at a theme park, which again for me doesn't appeal. However, it is very good value for money and what are downsides for me may not necessarily be so for you and others.

£100/night is what it is costing this August, but that also includes the table service dining plan. A lot of people on here are waiting to see if SSR / OKW is discounted by Disney again with dining plan for 2011

Yes there is an offer on for both Old Key West and Saratoga Springs Resort, and the reduced price is proving very popular.

I have never been to OKW, but I know the rooms are the largest, it has a 'key west carribean' kind of theme to it with pastel coloured rooms.
It is split into several different tropical accomodations , such as Trinidad and I can't remember any others! , it is also the oldest of the DVC resorts.
The downside for me is the resort is vast and spread out over a large area, you could if you were on the outskirts be a decent walk or even a short drive to the hub of the resort. It is also not located at a theme park, which again for me doesn't appeal. However, it is very good value for money and what are downsides for me may not necessarily be so for you and others.

i think the trinidad division is at the carribean beach resort, not at OKW..
OKW just has different numbered buildings in different areas......

The downside for me is the resort is vast and spread out over a large area, you could if you were on the outskirts be a decent walk or even a short drive to the hub of the resort. It is also not located at a theme park, which again for me doesn't appeal.

This is exactly the reason we have chosen this resort, I quite fancy being able to 'get away' from the Parks and have some peace and quiet, yet have the convenience of still being onsite. :thumbsup2

I don't want to sound snobbish about some of our American cousins because that's not my intent here but I think there may be a difference of perspective and more is made of the walking distance of OKW (and some of the other bigger resorts) due to them - sweeping statement incoming - in general, being a nation of drivers rather than walkers.

It takes 10 minutes tops to walk from one side of the resort to the other through very picturesque grounds, most people in the UK would think nothing of that, I mean, it takes me that long to walk to the bus stop to go to work every day and it's far less pretty!

Granted, if you've got small kids and you've spent a long day in the parks that a walk like that might not appeal, but in general I'd say it's not a deal breaker.

This is exactly the reason we have chosen this resort, I quite fancy being able to 'get away' from the Parks and have some peace and quiet, yet have the convenience of still being onsite. :thumbsup2

That's fine, we all have different tastes as I said what suits me may not suit others. :)

We couldn't cope with OKW, Joshua is not a great walker and with his other disabilities resorts such as OKW & SSR, are just not for us.

The fact all WDW resorts are different mean they can cater for many tastes, to be honest location is just as big a factor for us and we ideally would like to be based at the Magic Kingdom or EPCOT resort areas, however at the price OKW is very affordable, if you want to stay there.

Thanks for all the feedback. Another question though...can you get a boat to the Magic Kingdom from this resort?

even if you're not a great walker, you can enjoy this resort...
there are buildings that are very close to the main building...
no car required....they are just across from the main building and main pool...

I live in Canada and have been reading some of the DLRP and UK Trip Planning threads for our trip to Europe this summer.

Just thought I'd give my two cents, having stayed at OKW last year.

100 GBP a night for a studio at OKW or SSR plus free dining is a tremendous value. It would still be a good deal even without free dining. Also, don't forget that, at the DVC properties, there is complimentary laundry facilities (in room if you book a one-or two-bedroom). While OKW may not be my first choice to use my DVC points, the cost difference on the WDW UK site for the other DVC is huge and it would be definitely an upgrade from a WDW moderate resort (e.g. Port Orleans, Caribean Beach).

We are DVC members and stayed at OKW last March on DVC points. (We have also stayed at CR, Poly, AKL, POR, ASMo, BC and DVC resorts AKV (Jambo House and Kidani Village), VWL).

Our kids loved the pool there. And you can request a unit near Hospitality House (reception, store, pool and restaurant) if you think the resort is a bit sprawling. The OKW was the original DVC resort but the rooms are in very good shape and are not at all run down. We normally have a car when in WDW but we were assigned a unit near Hospitality House and were a 1 minute walk to main bus stop for the parks and DTD.

I think I will keep an eye out for any special offers at OKW for Sept 2011. I think this resort will suit DH and myself very well.

I cannot wait either as I also have never stayed onsite before. How frequently do the buses run to the theme parks? I will have a car with me but would happily save petrol if buses ran regularly.

Same as every resort - busses run approximately every 20 mins though that can fluctuate a little (for both better or worse) but that can happen anywhere.

I'm also waiting for the prices to go down for next year - I can't afford Yacht Club again (not enough Tesco points!) but OKW might suit us nicely!!

We stayed at OKW in Dec 2008 and found it very beautiful and relaxing after a long day in the parks.That year I think was the hottest december on record with highs of 85 some days though still cold at night. We asked for a room near hospitality and was put on the second floor(which I recommend ) in block 25.Just over the bridge and a 2 minute walk to the main part. A magical place .Some area I agree are a little way from the hospitality house but walking to there verses a walk round the parks is a doddle. Nice to have a stroll anyway.
We didn't have a car and I did find the buses to be few and far between espescially from DTD back to the resort so we tended to use the boat. Trying SSR this time though as got the deal from disney with free ddp. Also hoping for AKL through DVC and found a lovely girl to rent from :lovestruc

I am an DVC member, and OKW is my home resort. We love it, and have been loving it almost exclusively since December 2004 (I think we're up to about 10 stays there). The rooms are large and spacious (we've also only stayed in studios); we also always have a car, and one of the perks of this resort -for those who like to have a car- is that you can park right by your room, or very close to it.
I find the CMs to he some of the friendliest of all resorts too! We like the quiet pools as well as the main pool, and the hotel entertainment -movie nights, games, s'mores by the campfire- is terrific. The food at Olivia's is good too, and I've gotten great buys at the resort shop too! I highly recommend OKW, and I'm happy to answer any other resort questions about it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter