Old Key West or Saratoga Springs Resort

If you were staying in a 2br at either, what would be your choice?

We prefer OKW. Bigger and fewer points. Each have their pluses. SSR just got the new pool and pool side quick service restaurant. OKW is shaded and more relaxing feeling to us.

We don't think there's a better dedicated two bedroom on property than OKW due to size and point value.

But both are fine and at SSR if you're close to DTD you can easily walk to any bus to anywhere, which can be a plus.

It’s been a while since we returned from DW and have yet to decide to buy into DVC. I’m the world’s best procrastinator ;-) :scared:

But after visiting several resorts, SSR is no longer on our list as originally indicated. Neither my better half nor I felt “comfortable” at SSR.

OKW is still on our short list and the Wilderness Lodge has been added as well. Very different resorts but both felt like home and “comfortable”.

I do suggest to anyone thinking of buying DVC visit their possible Home resort before buying as SSR was one of our original picks but after spending some time there we did not like the resort, a very nice resort but just not to our liking.

If you like wilderness lodge you might like kidani village. It has the Same type of feel BUT is more african. Since kidani is for some reason not selling like it should you might be able to find a great deal directly from disney itself.

Originally i got my 100 points at kidani via a special trial offer they were running.

If you like wilderness lodge you might like kidani village. It has the Same type of feel BUT is more african. Since kidani is for some reason not selling like it should you might be able to find a great deal directly from disney itself.

Originally i got my 100 points at kidani via a special trial offer they were running.

Agree. We stayed at AKV-Jambo this past winter for the first time. We really enjoyed it (actually tried to get VWL for the first time and couldn't). When touring around WVL during lunch we found the feel to be similar and feel we'd have liked it similarly. They're variations on the same theme.

Our last trip to WDW in June was split between Kidani and VWL. You are right that the resorts give you a similar feel. Maybe it's because the architect was the same guy. :goodvibes We were quite comfortable at either resort. I liked the villa better at Kidani. The villa at VWL is the same style at BWV. The 1 and 2 BRs at Kidani have the extra bathroom off of living room. Also you don't hear as much noise from the hallway in the villas at Kidani or for that matter from the connecting room in a lockoff. We had a lockoff studio at VWL and we could hear a lot of noise coming from the living room of the one bedroom next door.

Thanks for the suggestion as we have never visited AKL or Kidani. We plan to rent points for our next trip to DW and stay at one or two (split stay) of our final choices.
I'm driving my better half crazy trying to decide :banana:

One of the (many) reasons we love OKW so much is that you can get off Disney property very easily!

We do not want to immerse ourselves in Disney and have had frequent trips where we no longer go into the parks. Apart from SSR (which I know is now off your list) OKW is the easiest to get to other places I want to be; the dining options by Crossroads for instance. The car is outside the door, and off we go in moments.

At VWL it would mean a walk to the car, then a drive through even more stop lights to 'get away'. :) I know a lot of people would not want to get away - it's why they are there in the first place ...... but just another point of view for you to consider.

It is really easy to get off property from Animal Kingdom as well.
Not quite as easy as OKW with parking at your door - but there are some location at Kidani that are that close to the parking area!
The VAST majority of rooms at Jambo house are not at all close to your car, the main door, or anything of value to a DVC member. We stayed there in December of 2009 and we felt like we were actually walking to Africa every time we would come and go from our room!

The worst was when I got all the way to the car, only to realize that I had left my wallet with Driver's License IN THE ROOM! UGH! ALL THE WAY BACK to the the room, only to walk ALL THE WAY BACK to the car! UGH I was tired after all of that! :lmao:

We love both resorts. I have never stayed at any other except OKW and SSR. We own at SSR. We alternate staying at each that way we have the best of both.

Just booked a week at OKW through David (dvcrequests) to see if OKW is the DVC home resort for us.

"dvcrequests" Super fast service :thumbsup2

Personally we have stayed at both but really liked OKW better. We thought the resort was more relaxing and the rooms are much bigger. Plus the kids really liked the sand castle pool slide:)

Heading "home" in two weeks to OKW for a week and to bring my son to college in Winter Park. Really looking forward to seeing the redone rooms and relaxing in a nice 2bdrm. 16 years later OKW is still our favorite.

I like SSR better than OKW.

We own at OKW since 2006, but have only stayed there once. We bought at OKW sight unseen because there was a good resale available and I was sure it would be ok. I don't regret buying there.

Usually we stay at SSR or AKV because we book with short notice and that is what's available. I love both places. We've always had beautiful views at SSR. I also like the food and pool options better at SSR.

Our only stay at OKW was a 2 BR with a horrible view (smashed trees, snakes, highway, along with lots of ac & highway noise). Everything was great as long as we didn't look out outside or use the deck ;) There were maintence issues during our stay in the front courtyards for our building..little gardens flooded from ... something....I know its unusual but our surroundings were just an ugly looking mess.. The pools and food options were just OK. I loved the size of the 2 BR, but I'm in no rush to go back and vacation at OKW, after that one stay there was 'no love'. Hopefully when we do eventually stay there again we get a better building.

OKW has highway noise, over grown bushes blocking the view from the windows, no elevators, smaller sized pools, & no couch's in the studio's.

SSR has 5 pools, close to DTD, several eating options, many rooms so availablity is good, THV and Grand villa's.

One of the (many) reasons we love OKW so much is that you can get off Disney property very easily!

We do not want to immerse ourselves in Disney and have had frequent trips where we no longer go into the parks. Apart from SSR (which I know is now off your list) OKW is the easiest to get to other places I want to be; the dining options by Crossroads for instance. The car is outside the door, and off we go in moments.

At VWL it would mean a walk to the car, then a drive through even more stop lights to 'get away'. :) I know a lot of people would not want to get away - it's why they are there in the first place ...... but just another point of view for you to consider.

Good points, never thought of that. You can get off property pretty quickly from AKL also, though your car isn't going to be right outsdie your room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter