Old Key West or Saratoga Springs Resort

Bumping to see if you've visited and have feedback on the two. We're researching and trying to make the choice too!

I'm probably the wrong person to ask, because on any given day, I flip flop between the two of them on which is my favorite! I've stayed at both multiple times, and here are my thoughts:

What I love about both:
- golf course views and grounds
- proximity to DTD
- condo feel vs. hotel feel

What i love about OKW:
- cheapest point structure (super low for GVs)
- largest rooms
- OKW theme
- huge balconies
- maintenance fees are pretty low

What I love about SSR:
- even lower MFs
- relatively low point structure
- THVs
- extended contract (OKW extended can be a little difficult to find via resale)
- amazing workout facility and spa
- walking distance to DTD
- Turf Club restaurant
- room decor

All in all, we ended up buying SSR the first time and OKW the second (we recently sold and repurchased - hated our UY). The big deciding factor for us was the ability to get GVs at the 11 month mark. We wanted that booking advantage over the THVs. It still bothers me that we lost the extra years (we purchased a 2042 contract), but then again, I will be 72 and DH 74 in 2042.

As far as both resorts go, they are absolutely beautiful. IMHO, you can't go wrong! :thumbsup2 Good luck!

We usually go to Disney in the Fall, especially November. How hard is it to get OKW 2BR versus SSR 2BR booking in early September for a November reservation?

I'm probably the wrong person to ask, because on any given day, I flip flop between the two of them on which is my favorite! I've stayed at both multiple times, and here are my thoughts:

What I love about both:
- golf course views and grounds
- proximity to DTD
- condo feel vs. hotel feel

What i love about OKW:
- cheapest point structure (super low for GVs)
- largest rooms
- OKW theme
- huge balconies
- maintenance fees are pretty low

What I love about SSR:
- even lower MFs
- relatively low point structure
- THVs
- extended contract (OKW extended can be a little difficult to find via resale)
- amazing workout facility and spa
- walking distance to DTD
- Turf Club restaurant
- room decor

All in all, we ended up buying SSR the first time and OKW the second (we recently sold and repurchased - hated our UY). The big deciding factor for us was the ability to get GVs at the 11 month mark. We wanted that booking advantage over the THVs. It still bothers me that we lost the extra years (we purchased a 2042 contract), but then again, I will be 72 and DH 74 in 2042.

As far as both resorts go, they are absolutely beautiful. IMHO, you can't go wrong! :thumbsup2 Good luck!

This was incredibly helpful! Thank you so much!

I agree with most of what has already been said here. Both are great.

I considered both and ended up buying SSR.

Here are my main reasons:
  • Longer time on contract (except the less frequent 2057 OKW contract)
  • Cheaper maintenance fees
  • Ability to book Treehouse Villas
  • Proximity to DTD

Reality is that both of these properties are generally easier to book than others, so regardless of which one you choose, you'll probably be able to book many stays at the other one at the 7 month mark.

We love the feel of both. With driving being our normal method of travel, it's great to have your car right at your room.

You won't go wrong choosing either. Good Luck.

I love the size of OKW rooms plus having two queen beds in the studio, and as others have said it's great parking literally outside your front door and I would agree that it's much easier to book at SSR, simply because it's enormous size giving it more units to book from.

There are a lot of things to weigh, such as maintenance costs difference, length of contract, if you need an elevator all the time? Good luck in your decision, but at least buying in to DVC will give you unforgetable vacations for years to come.

....we like having a sleep sofa instead of two beds (Watching TV). Usually my wife and I travel to WDW alone, so the extra bed in an OKW studio is not an asset for us. We don't own at either resort, but have stayed at both. If a sofabed was an option at OKW we would try to book there a lot more often.

This was incredibly helpful! Thank you so much!

My pleasure! Good luck to everyone weighing the options. Like I said, I had a horrible time deciding the 2nd time around, even after I had stayed at all of them! What I'd give for unlimited money and unlimited time! :rolleyes1

It’s been a while since we returned from DW and have yet to decide to buy into DVC. I’m the world’s best procrastinator ;-) :scared:

But after visiting several resorts, SSR is no longer on our list as originally indicated. Neither my better half nor I felt “comfortable” at SSR.

OKW is still on our short list and the Wilderness Lodge has been added as well. Very different resorts but both felt like home and “comfortable”.

I do suggest to anyone thinking of buying DVC visit their possible Home resort before buying as SSR was one of our original picks but after spending some time there we did not like the resort, a very nice resort but just not to our liking.

I would suggest that you buy at OKW, AKV, or BLT.

Those three resorts, while each is very different from the other, have a certain something about them.

While we LOVE Wilderness Lodge, I wouldn't buy VWL at this point in time due to expiration dates - when you look at 15 years longer on your contract at OKW, AKV, and BLT - your best bet is buying a resort with a much longer 'life span'.

If you buy at BLT you are going to have a great booking advantage at a very in demand resort.

If you buy at AKV you have the most booking categories, and the only access to Concierge/Club level, AND - you can't go wrong with a Savannah view!

As far as OKW, it is such a great resort! The lowest points per stay, the largest rooms, and a resort that feels far more casual and laid back than any other that we have stayed at.

We really enjoyed out stay at OKW last year - and will be making another visit this year!

Plus, we love Olivia's!

Visit everyone before you decide to buy. We bought @ both OKW & SSR and love them both for different reasons.

I LOVE both resorts- have stayed at both. I think I slightly prefer staying at SSR because of the dining options and location. But owning at OKW is tempting because the points chart is awesome and the rooms are huge! Sorry I'm no help:upsidedow

I can see the treehouse being a plus for saratoga. Outside that I much prefer Old Key West. It is awesome. Saratoga is a location I do not see returning to unless nothing else is available. Or by miracle I could get a treehouse, lol.

OKW for us. SSR while super convenient to DD almost has a feel of a large apartment complex. A beautiful one for sure but those large buildings next to each other just felt not as relaxing as being in the islands. Plus, with 3 kids the extra room is always welcome!!

We prefer SSR. Just our personal opinion. We are in LOVE with the quiet pool of Congress Park the 5 minute walk to DTD from CP, the QS dining options, the TS restaurant - The Turf Club, etc.

:) I have been to SSR several times and would prefer OKW. SSR just seemed too big and not "Disney". TOo much of a condo feel. Of course DH and I enjoy being in Africa on our vacations so we bought at AKV. :thumbsup2

We own at SSR and enjoy the resort, but it is big. Treehouses are great for families and one of the best DVC points bargains I think.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned these yet, but here are some more pros for OKW.

-since the remodel, the 1BRs and 2BRs now sleep one additional person via the sleeper chair.

-master bath includes the huge two person jetted tubs!

-Washer and Dryers are FULL SIZED in a real full sized laundry room!

The reality is, except for OKW GV and SSR THV, for 90% of the year you can stay at either resort with little difficulty no matter where you own. If you don't want to stay at the Treehouses very often, I say go for a bargain priced OKW contract and enjoy!

OKW and SSR are very similar in many ways--both are big and as a result tend to have availability longer than the smaller resorts. Both are condo style, with parking right outside your villa. Both are "walking resorts," with lovely strolling options ...Neither has a hotel attached to it, and neither is walking distance to a park. But here are some differences that may help you favor one over the other.

The themes are quite different, and one may appeal more to you than the other...OKW is tropical while SSR is built around an upstate NY horse-racing theme. Neither theme is, to my eye, "overwhelming." Both resorts are "pastel," but they do look very different...

1. SSR is easy walking distance to Downtown Disney--either West Side or Marketplace. You can walk to Downtown Disney from OKW, but it's a longer walk (about a mile), and at night the path is not lit...

2. SSR has the Treehouse Villas, which are few in number and popular, and you may want home resort booking for them...

3. The points cost per night at OKW is considerably lower, making longer stays (or stays in larger villas) more "cost-effective" (fewer points). OKW grand villas are among the best points bargains at Disney--and are hard to get w/out the 11-month booking advantage.

4. As you noted in your post, SSR has the longer "life" (2054), except you can buy OKW contracts that have been extended to 2057...

5. It's worth checking maintenance fee cost...it may be that one of the two resorts has lower maintenance fees than the other (I own at SSR and BCV, so can tell you the MFs there--but don't know what they are at OKW)...

6. The villas at OKW are MUCH bigger than the ones at SSR, regardless of the villa size--e.g., the OKW one-bedroom is very, very spacious, whereas the living room-kitchen-eating area in the SSR one bedroom, while very nice, is considerably smaller.

7. The OKW studio has two queen size beds; the SSR studio has one queen bed and a sleeper sofa

We love both resorts. And unless you think you'll want an OKW grand villa or an SSR treehouse, you may not "need" the 11-month booking advantage at either one, since they are so big...of course for some times of year (New Year's Eve, for example), you need to think about making a reservation at 11 months out at whatever your home resort is because all of DVC fills up quickly for that holiday...

Good luck w/your decision!

I think this sums it up pretty perfectly. I would advise taking that visit and looking at the rooms. We fell in love with OKW when we went and bought there. You may have a strong feeling towards one or the other when you go.

I own at OKW, and we have a week trip planned soon, it's been a little while since we've stayed in our home resort, we've been staying at SSR quite a bit because it was easier to book, the on thing that has me concerned is because of their age, the bathrooms were starting to show their age, I was not happy seeing mildew in the showers, and I made sure I let them know and sent pictures to prove it.

I'm hoping that it was something that they corrected, but I'll let you know during our trip.

Has anyone else noticed any problems like these?

It’s been a while since we returned from DW and have yet to decide to buy into DVC. I’m the world’s best procrastinator ;-) :scared:

But after visiting several resorts, SSR is no longer on our list as originally indicated. Neither my better half nor I felt “comfortable” at SSR.

OKW is still on our short list and the Wilderness Lodge has been added as well. Very different resorts but both felt like home and “comfortable”.

I do suggest to anyone thinking of buying DVC visit their possible Home resort before buying as SSR was one of our original picks but after spending some time there we did not like the resort, I very nice resort but just not to our liking.

We personally like both SSR and OKW, as well as Kidani Village now. WL is nice as well. One thing you may wish to consider is when the contract is up. OKW is the original resort so you will not have as many years as any of the other DVC resorts. If number of years isn't as important as buying where you love to stay, then by all means buy where you would love to stay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter