Old Key West-First timer questions

welovedisney7778

Mouseketeer
We are staying at Old Key West for the first time next week. Do they have self serve soda machines to fill the refillable mugs or is it like the Boardwalk where you have to go to the bakery/pool bar and get the person working to fill them for you? Any other advice for a first timer there?? Its the only Disney resort that I've never even visited, so I'm not quite sure what to expect. It is myself, my husband, and our three year old son. How is the kiddie pool/playground area?

Thanks!!!

There is a self service machine near the main pool at Goods to Go. If you are located near the Turtle Pond pool, the CMs at the Turtle Shack will fill it during their operating hours. No self serve at Turtle Shack.

Pool is nice, and the "kiddie" area is small but doable. The play ground area are nice, but spaced out, so depending upon which condo you are in, you may have to walk. I have to say, when our 1st son was smaller, we liked staying and going to the turtle pond pool, less crowded and there was room for him to swim. When we go in March, we requested to be near Turtle Pond for our newest 3 y.o.

Have a great time.

cheryl

Oh, I should have also added, that Olivia's is very family/child friendly. They have a good variety of food at the General Store. the Foods to Go and the Turtle Pond shack have a small menu for quick serve, especially compared to Saratoga and the other resorts (In my opinion), but the boys love grapes and PBJ sandwhiches, so it's not so bad.

Take the boat over to Saratoga and enjoy their pool....they have a great kiddie splash area, and a wonderful foodcourt.

I would take OKW anyday for the size of the rooms, and for the variety of things to do there.

che

all the pools at OKW have a playground.

the big one is at the main pool - with a little one he might just like it better.

big sand box next to the main pool - plenty for him to play with and a shower to clean the sand off of him before you leave the area.

(only play clothes here - he will get sand on them)

the slide is cute - a sand castle with mickey's face on it.

try it first - it goes pretty fast - before you let your Ds do it. if you think it is too fast - then using pool hopping and go next door to POFQ. they have a cute slide - sea serpent - but it is slow. very slow.

here are some pictures
http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/showgallery.php/cat/545

the playground pictures are the ones for the quiet pool - not the main pool - it is different. more sand and less climbing.

there are only 3 bldgs with elevators at OKW: 62, 63 & 64.

they are typically recommended to be left for those with medical needs, but feel free to request a ground floor room.

there are only 3 bldgs with elevators at OKW: 62, 63 & 64.

they are typically recommended to be left for those with medical needs, but feel free to request a ground floor room.

thanks we have a medical need for one of our children, a leg issue to be exact

thanks again

We are also staying at OKW for the first time and I was wondering if there is a builidng or room we should request. It is a quick trip strictly visiting the parks. Any advice?

I really don't think there is one area of OKW that is particularly superior to another. All areas are pretty convenient to bus stops and pools.

The Near Hospitality House area is now a booking category, not a request. That would be the buildings near main check-in and the main pool and Olivia's restaurant.

All the pool areas have sandy play areas, hot tubs and laundry rooms for the studio guests. One concern for folks in one bedroom and larger units is that in buildings 30 and higher, there are two entrances to the bathroom, one through the master bedroom, the other through the laundry rom. Buildings 29 and lower have one bathroom entrance, through the master bedroom, which may be a privacy concern for some people.

We were just there a couple of weeks ago for the first time and loved it! One tip we discovered was the buses. The resort is huge and spread out. The best way to get around if you are not in the HH area is to hop a bus. All the buses make their last stop at HH. So hop any bus to get you up there to go to Olivia's or the pool. When you are ready to go back to your room, walk across the bridge to the Peninsular Rd. stop. It is the first stop that the buses make and ride back to your stop. It worked great for us and since it doesn't matter what bus you board, there was really no wait time.

Have a great time! We loved the size of the rooms, the peacefullness and just the over all environment of the resort! We were in the Turtle Pond area. One thing to note there, the snack bar is only open 11 - 5 sharp! So no refills after that.

Thanks everyone for all the helpful advice!! We leave on Monday morning-we're soooo excited. Gotta go pack!!:cheer2:

Thanks again!!

Does anyone know where the grill is located near the hospitality house... and is there picnic tables there. Was hoping to make dinner while the kids swam????:confused3 :flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter