• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Old Disney Park photos

Tarzan Rocks

th_IMG_4703.jpg
BEST SHOW EVER!!!!!!!! I miss it and still get mad that they took it out!

I first saw that I was like "that's not that long ago." Then I was like, "Crap. That was 20 years ago. Man, how time flies.
I was thinking the same thing!!! And, also realized that my pictures from 1994 are actually pretty old!

I know the topiaries we have now are better in appearance than the old ones, but there isn't anywhere near the number scattered around WDW as there used to be. One of our favorite reasons to ride the monorail was to see them from above. Anyone else remember that? The recently posted dragon one was a favorite, and I always liked the elephant family.

I miss the topiaries too!! I loved seeing them while we road the monorail! (and hi Nanci! :wave: )

I know the topiaries we have now are better in appearance than the old ones, but there isn't anywhere near the number scattered around WDW as there used to be. One of our favorite reasons to ride the monorail was to see them from above. Anyone else remember that? The recently posted dragon one was a favorite, and I always liked the elephant family.

I miss those too.

Surprisingly enough, this is the first time I've seen this thread lol. I love looking at all the old pics! :)

These are the only 2 I have on my computer.

This is my brother and I at CR in the mid-80's:

antandi.jpg

And my dad sent me this pic. It's from 1975:

1975sign.jpg

Hi all! I've opened up a new website specifically for these types of photographs and all things Retro Disney World! We have over 1300 old photographs, maps, models, concept art and more!

• Pre-Opening to 1990. Over 1300 retro and vintage photos!
  • Upload your own retro-vacation photos
  • Link/Upload home movies
  • Discussions about Retro Disney World
  • Automated eBay searches to find vintage souvenirs, maps, park guides and more!
  • "Prototype Community" - built in social networking system
  • Integrated with Facebook Login and Facebook App
I'm new on disboards, so i can't post URLs, but it is retrodisneyworld dot calm

See you there!

-t

Oh I love this. He probably took that photo to show how absurdly expensive the tickets were. At least I remember my dad complaining in 1978 how much he had to pay to wait in lines in the heat.

Knowing my dad, I'm sure that's exactly why he took the picture. :rotfl:

Oh I love this. He probably took that photo to show how absurdly expensive the tickets were. At least I remember my dad complaining in 1978 how much he had to pay to wait in lines in the heat.

Yes, but don't forget that was only for 12 rides and not very many premium ones. You had to buy extra ticket books to actually see a decent number of attractions. That is where the "E" Ticket phrase came from.

I will republish the ticket price list from 1983. This was just after they had all inclusive tickets and EPCOT had just opened. Still pretty shocking. Every ticket was a park hopper and non-expirational.

img004.jpg

The last line proved to be pretty true!

Yes, but don't forget that was only for 12 rides and not very many premium ones. You had to buy extra ticket books to actually see a decent number of attractions. That is where the "E" Ticket phrase came from.

I will republish the ticket price list from 1983. This was just after they had all inclusive tickets and EPCOT had just opened. Still pretty shocking. Every ticket was a park hopper and non-expirational.

img004.jpg

Lol.... Give it 2 more years and it'll cost the same to go for 1 day that it cost for an annual pass in '83.

:scared1:

Hi all! I've opened up a new website specifically for these types of photographs and all things Retro Disney World! We have over 1300 old photographs, maps, models, concept art and more!

-t

Awesome! Thank you! I love these old photos and am always looking for more!

Awesome! Thank you! I love these old photos and am always looking for more!

You are very welcome! we hope to have more people join us and add more photos as we move along.. as it is we have over 1400 already!

Love, Love, LOVE this thread! I am only on page 77 at the moment, but diligently (and very enjoyably) working my way through :)

My In-Laws recently shared some pictures with my DH and I from their first trip back in 1971 shortly after MK opened that I thought I would share with you, so here goes!

DougieBackintheDay432.jpg

DougieBackintheDay431.jpg

DougieBackintheDay433.jpg

DougieBackintheDay435.jpg

DougieBackintheDay437.jpg

DougieBackintheDay438.jpg

DougieBackintheDay447.jpg

DougieBackintheDay466.jpg

DougieBackintheDay467.jpg

DougieBackintheDay472.jpg

DougieBackintheDay474.jpg

DougieBackintheDay477.jpg

DougieBackintheDay478.jpg

DougieBackintheDay479.jpg

These are incredible!! Thank you for sharing!

img004.jpg

I can remember when some people we knew went in the 80's and he said something about the prices being like $25 per person and he was having a fit. I only wish it was now.

It's so odd to see hardly any trees in MK, especially around the Swiss Family Treehouse!

It's so odd to see hardly any trees in MK, especially around the Swiss Family Treehouse!

What's REALLY odd is when you realize that the moat around the Swiss Family Treehouse at one time was used by the Swan Boats.... in the time before the Swan Boats disappeared and the foliage was allowed to grow in.

I can't get over the short trees and spare vegetation. It looks so bare! My first trip in 1979 was much better and still had the Swan boats which were very graceful and inefficient.

Until this month that year was also the only other time I ever ate in the castle. I remember that we just walked up to the podium that morning and made a lunch reservation for that day! What a change compared to today's hard-to-get ADR, pay ahead situation!

And my dad sent me this pic. It's from 1975:

1975sign.jpg

Ha! I knew it!
I've been having an argument with a friend about whether I was remembering correctly that once upon a time you had to buy a separate ticket to ride the monorail if you weren't staying in one of the hotels. Now there's photographic proof!
Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter