• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Old Disney Park photos

A few more from that same trip, just around about the park.

Main Street, WDW 1986 by essilec, on Flickr

I vaguely remember riding in these with my grandma:

Sky Buckets, WDW 1986 by essilec, on Flickr

I completely do not remember anything about this ride:

20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, WDW 1986 by essilec, on Flickr

My mom popping me onto a horse on the carousel:

Carousel, WDW 1986 by essilec, on Flickr

Cinderella's Castle, WDW 1986 by essilec, on Flickr

The park looks DESERTED! This was in November.

Tomorrowland, WDW 1986 by essilec, on Flickr

One of my favorite rides to this day. Guess what it is. :)

WDW 1986 by essilec, on Flickr

Does anyone know what this is?

No idea what this is... WDW 1986 by essilec, on Flickr

I don't think I ever actually went on this before it closed:

Mr. Toad, WDW 1986 by essilec, on Flickr

At 30 months, it's wonderful that you have any memories of it! Thanks for sharing!

:)

Jud

December 1991

Dec%2091%20PP%20ed-M.jpg

Does anyone know what this is?

No idea what this is... WDW 1986 by essilec, on Flickr

This appears to be a spot in between Mr Toad's Ride and Snow White's Scary Adventures. From the photo it looks like the foreground structure used to be called "The Round Table." Behind that would be the "Seven Dwarfs Mine" gift shop for the Snow White ride. In the far background, you can see the Carrousel.

At some point, "The Round Table" was re-themed and became "Mrs. Potts' Cupboard" walk-up ice cream window. I'm not sure if there was something else in between the two. Between Mrs. Potts' and the gift shop is "The Friar's Nook" counter service with things like chicken nuggets and hot dogs.

MrsPottsCupboard_zpsa56a5c75.jpg

But with the new Fantasyland redo, the exterior was mostly redone, removing the tower and adding a thatched roof. It's now called "Storybook Treats" (also an ice cream stand). I believe The Friar's Nook is still there, but the Seven Dwarfs gift shop is now closed.

1556984c-1cc2-4b1c-8e1c-44ac17ddf496_zps062bb7aa.jpg

This appears to be a spot in between Mr Toad's Ride and Snow White's Scary Adventures. From the photo it looks like the foreground structure used to be called "The Round Table." Behind that would be the "Seven Dwarfs Mine" gift shop for the Snow White ride. In the far background, you can see the Carrousel.

At some point, "The Round Table" was re-themed and became "Mrs. Potts' Cupboard" walk-up ice cream window. I'm not sure if there was something else in between the two. Between Mrs. Potts' and the gift shop is "The Friar's Nook" counter service with things like chicken nuggets and hot dogs.

MrsPottsCupboard_zpsa56a5c75.jpg

But with the new Fantasyland redo, the exterior was mostly redone, removing the tower and adding a thatched roof. It's now called "Storybook Treats" (also an ice cream stand). I believe The Friar's Nook is still there, but the Seven Dwarfs gift shop is now closed.

1556984c-1cc2-4b1c-8e1c-44ac17ddf496_zps062bb7aa.jpg
Wow! You had the right pictures and some great info to explain the evolution of that particular building. Thanks!

Wow! You had the right pictures and some great info to explain the evolution of that particular building. Thanks!

Thanks. I recognized where the photo was taken, but the photos I posted are not mine (borrowed from the interweb). I do like seeing time-lapse-type comparisons, though. So this was just a fun little afternoon project I took on.

This is a quote from your link. Maybe during the transition time between 1989 and 1990 Chef Mickeys was AT the contemporary Temporarily. ha ryhmes.

By 1989, Birnbaum's Guide to Walt Disney World mentions that Cinderella was appearing at dinner. This was also the time that the Village Restaurant would be closed; when it reopened in 1990, it would be known as Chef Mickey�s Village Restaurant providing the template for character dining as we know it.
From your link

I dont know. What I do know is I was at the contemporary, I dont know what other reason I would have been there And the village restaurant was closed 89-90 and re-opened in 1990 as Chef Mickeys. Maybe somebody else has some info. This is a confusing one. Just not sure what other reason I would have been to the Contemporary. Ive got the photo package somewhere with the Mickey Dish and spoon from 1989, I will have to find it maybe I have a receipt with it.

Can somebody else help us . Was Chef Mickey operating in 1989 at the Contemporary? The Village was closed, from what it says. I am gonna do more research.

Maybe I am wrong all together?

Getting OLD!!!

Maybe this was already answered for you...

I have Birnbaum's 1988 and 1990 editions. There was a restaurant called Character Cafe at the Contemporary in both of those editions. It was on the Grand Concourse level and served breakfast and dinner. No reservations! In 1988 dinner was a prime rib buffet, and in 1990 dinner was an Italian buffet. Characters were at both breakfast and dinner.

Here's a bunch of oldies for you. All have been posted before in various places, but never together as one bunch. Not everything I have, but a good sampling. Taken with a Kodak Pocket Instamatic 40, 110 film, some slide, and some print. Scanned a few years back and worked on in a few photo programs since. At some point I need to re-scan the originals again now that I have better programs and much more experience!

It was a Sunday, either 4 or 11 February, 1973. My first visit: on a day's leave from Orlando Naval Recruit Training Command.

Jud

In 1982, my HS band trip was to WDW. We marched around MK.
http://[URL=http://s696.photobucket.com/user/mlntoys/media/Vintage%20Disney/IMG_3915.jpg.html]
IMG_3915.jpg
[/URL]

Here's a bunch of oldies for you. All have been posted before in various places, but never together as one bunch. Not everything I have, but a good sampling. Taken with a Kodak Pocket Instamatic 40, 110 film, some slide, and some print. Scanned a few years back and worked on in a few photo programs since. At some point I need to re-scan the originals again now that I have better programs and much more experience!

It was a Sunday, either 4 or 11 February, 1973. My first visit: on a day's leave from Orlando Naval Recruit Training Command.

Jud

Wow! Thanks for sharing your pictures Jud! Those are the oldest photos of DW I have seen on here. When did the MK and Epcot open?

It's so stark and barren! Look at Tomorrowland!! It's so boring! It just keeps getting prettier every year as the landscaping grows and changes!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter