• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OKW - Where have you been!!

Polynesian27

Mouseketeer
I’ve never really considered staying at OKW before, I don’t even know if I have a good reason behind never looking into this hotel! But as my family and I plan a trip for this coming summer a DVC member told me to check it out since a 1 bedroom is available for our dates in July. I watched a video online about the resort and it looks absolutely beautiful and the porch/decks look like a great place to unwind after a long day in the parks. The only downside is that it only have 1 bathroom, so my wife and I will have to share the bathroom with my mother-in-law, which isn’t a huge deal. I have a few quick questions though about OKW if anyone can help me answer them. I asked the similar questions to AKV and received great responses so your opinions are much appreciated!!

1. Do they have a quick service food court area?

2. Are the floors really hardwood in the 1 Bedroom villias? This would be really nice!

3. How are the pools for toddlers (our little guy will be 1 year and 4 months)

4.How are the buses?

5.What parks are closest to OKW?

6.It seems like this resort is huge, what if we are but in a room furthest from the main lobby, how long would the walk be?

7.What are the top 3 PROs in your opinion?

8.What are the top 3 CONs in your opinion?

I’ve never really considered staying at OKW before, I don’t even know if I have a good reason behind never looking into this hotel! But as my family and I plan a trip for this coming summer a DVC member told me to check it out since a 1 bedroom is available for our dates in July. I watched a video online about the resort and it looks absolutely beautiful and the porch/decks look like a great place to unwind after a long day in the parks. The only downside is that it only have 1 bathroom, so my wife and I will have to share the bathroom with my mother-in-law, which isn’t a huge deal. I have a few quick questions though about OKW if anyone can help me answer them. I asked the similar questions to AKV and received great responses so your opinions are much appreciated!!

2. Are the floors really hardwood in the 1 Bedroom villias? This would be really nice!

4.How are the buses?

6.It seems like this resort is huge, what if we are but in a room furthest from the main lobby, how long would the walk be?

1. There is a small fast food area in addition to the full service Olivia's restaurant

2. No, they are vinyl boards much like what is in BLT, but a different color.

3. I know there is a toddler area and a HUGE sand play area at the main pool, plus all 4 of the pools have play areas, but it's been way too long since we've had to worry about a toddler for me to give advice on this.

4. Bus service from OKW has always been exceptional. We have been staying here for 16 years, and we find the bus service to be among the best at WDW.

5. Epcot is just across the interchange from OKW. In fact, when OKW first opened as Disney Vacation Club, it was called an Epcot area resort.

6. No need to ever walk if you don't want to. ALL buses will stop at HH last before they exit the resort, so all buses lead to HH.

7. Unit size, homey feel, views

8. LOL, I couldn't think of any!

If you are sharing the room with your Mother in Law, you will want to be in bldg number 30 or higher. That way she will have a separate entrance to the bathroom, otherwise she'd have to go through the master bedroom.

Fair warning: I have only done one split stay at AKV and OKW so I am basing a lot of my OKW comparisons with other resorts based on Youtube and what I've read. Also, I didn't like OKW and I will never go back there. Ever.

-No. They have one "hot dog stand" type thing. It's outside of the main building and you can't eat inside there, you have to sit outside on picnic benches or bring the food back to your room.

There is one small toddler pool behind the water slide at the main pool. I had a 12 month old with me and the water was too deep for me to put him in without putting his butt in the water (I didn't have a suit so I just dipped his legs in while he was wearing a onesie). The water is probably 12-18 inches deep.

4.How are the buses?

The buses are the best thing about OKW. They came regularly and the bus stops are close to all living areas so you won't have a long walk to get a bus.

Epcot was really close. The ride to Epcot once you left the resort was shorter than the ride through the resort as they picked up people. I think HS is close and MK wasn't too far away. OKW is the most central of all DVC resorts.

Really long. Instead of walking to the lobby you need to board a theme park bus because the lobby is always the last stop. Then coming back you can walk to a non-lobby bus stop that's near the front gate and get on a theme park bus and then get off at your bus stop. But tell the driver where you live and ask if he's going there before he goes to the park so you don't get stuck riding to a theme park!

Cheap points. Big kitchen table if you're eating in your room. Good bus service.

I could go on forever. The rooms are bigger than AKV but the layout and livability was much worse, in my opinion. Why is there an island in the kitchen? With the TV in the island you cant see the TV when you're in the kitchen. There are no elevators. So that means you'll be carrying your luggage up the stairs and you'll have to carry your toddler up and down the stairs every time you leave. The pool/water slide are boring. There is no theme, unless "boring retirement community" counts as a theme. The food options are very poor for a "deluxe" resort. The views from the balcony are of other buildings or you may get lucky and get a partial golf course view. The "resort" feels like an apartment complex. It DOES NOT feel like a hotel resort.

Think of OKW as a retirement community with condo buildings and you'll get the idea.

[

You can also get sandwiches, pizza at the Village Pool, there is a snack place there.

3. How are the pools for toddlers (our little guy will be 1 year and 4 months) the quiet pools don't have zero entry, but they are nice. Plus there is a play area with slides etc near the pools

4.How are the buses?

Buses are excellent! We thought the best bus service for any DVC.

5.What parks are closest to OKW? As others have said, it is centrally located.

Take the bus

7.What are the top 3 PROs in your opinion? We loved how big the unit was. We had so much more room than other DVC resorts. Nice that there was a comfortable place to sit for each member of our party in the living area. We also loved the balcony. Bigger than other DVC resorts with a table that sits 4. We also loved that the resort was quiet. It was a nice break from the parks.

8.What are the top 3 CONs in your opinion?[/QUOTE] Only con would be that the only buildings that have elevators are the handicap accessible rooms. We were on the second floor. Might be an inconvenience with a toddler to have to carry the stroller up the stairs.

OKW is my first choice to stay. We do a week at wow then go to vero beach for a week and we love OKW. We often will spend a couple of days at another resort to compare to okw for the next year and have not found one we like like OKW. We stayed at AKL both Kidani and Jambo and prefer OKW. Last year we stayed at the treehouse villas.....they were really cool but we prefer OKW. the staff are so friendly and it is LAYED BACK!!!! We have gotten spoiled at OKW and when we have gone to visit the rec hall at other resorts are surprised by all the "rules" pin board only comes out at this time etc, etc Our first trip to okw was with a 2yr old and a 4 year old 6 trips and 4 years later still love it. The last two we brought my parents so we turned in our one bedroom for a two bedroom but it is our #1 place to stay. But shhh don't tell anyone :)

We love OKW...the kiddie pool is a bit of a disappointment...concrete and deep step down...only 12 inches of water...but if you've been to AKL, same thing...none of the OKW pools have zero entry, but there are steps that small children sit and play on. Bus is excellent. Fast food not so much, and it is a bummer you have to eat outside...not great on a cool or rainy day...large, large units. We have been on the second (top floor) and third floors...no elevators, and yep, we did have to lug, not one but two double strollers...no problem though...like not being on the first floor for noise and crawly things....as for views...golf course views...put in a request...so peaceful and relaxing after a full day at the parks or for breakfast on the balcony in the morning!

We stayed at OKW for the first time last October and loved it! It had plenty of "theming" for us and our kids loved the pool (although they are 11 and 9 so it was different than a toddler). There is a sandy area near the pool where the kids can play, although the playground nearby wouldn't be very good for a toddler. We took part in many of the poolside games and had a blast (again, not sure a toddler would care). Yes, it's true that the CS wasn't impressive, but I would think it would meet the needs of most people staying there. We ate twice at Olivia's and it was delicious.

We stayed in the Turtle Pond area and loved it. Separate entrances to the bathroom and a short walk to HH.

We don't need disney immersion 24-7. Going back to this resort after a long day is pure heaven. Those outdoor balconies are wonderful. I don't get the feeling of retirement community at all. Guess this is subjective. It feels LUSH because all of the plantings have finally matured. We just plan better for meals/snacks because of the lack of large selections at take-out area. And there is no sit down indoors that is true. But Olivia's is a gem and the pool choices/playground areas and general relaxed atmosphere more than make up for any small cons there are. But again, this is really a choice of what you are looking for. The boat to DTD is a real plus and since we had terrible bus service from the Swan in December, we will really look forward to good bus service when we return to OKW in December of this year! I concur that getting the bathroom entrance in the upper buildings will be a plus for MIL.

We don't need Disney immersion 24-7. Going back to this resort after a long day is pure heaven. Those outdoor balconies are wonderful. I don't get the feeling of retirement community at all. Guess this is subjective. It feels LUSH because the planting have finally matured. (Love the lush landscaping)! We just plan better for meals/snacks because of the lack of large selections at take-out area. And there is no sit down indoors that is true. But "Olivia's is a gem and the pool choices/playground areas and general relaxed atmosphere more than make up for any small cons there are. But again, this is really a choice of what you are looking for. The boat to DTD is a real plus (especially lovely at night)

I'm in total agreement on every count!

I love certain areas based on the type of trip we're having, examples:

Big group w/ 4 (16) year old boys, Turtle Pond #42/43 with the quiet pool (perhaps not so quiet when they're there), Turtle Shack snack bar and the BBQ grills

Smaller Group, more quiet trip, Bldgs. 45/46, beautiful water view!

Family Reunions, 11-13 people, GV, love bldg 15!

After 35+ DVC trips, time spent in most resorts, OKW is still my all out favorite!

Honorable mention: Turtle Krawl at the Gurgling Suitcase!

As mentioned above, its more like a take out place. We went every day for breakfast and ate on the picnic tables. The one day it was raining we ate in the foyer area of Olivias (by the bar, not in the actual restaurant)
Sorry, stayed in a Studio.
While we didn't use the pool, there was a toddler area. I can't add too much.
4.How are the buses?
I couldn't complain! Much much better than BWV and BLT! We had a room near hospitality house so we would catch the bus at HH (last stop) and our actual building was the first stop on return. Win win!
Epcot and its also a quick trip to DTD
I'm a runner and was running with my Garmin watch and I recorded the furthest room about .5 miles from the HH. Ouch!
Very peaceful resort! Better than average bus service. Low points, big rooms.
Could possibly be very far away from the HH. Can't walk to any parks. Doesn't have tons of 'Disney' touches.

I've enjoyed all our stays at OKW because it is relaxing. I do miss the BWV and BLT sometimes when staying at OKW.

The limited counter service food can be a bit of a pain with the grandkids. We do love Olivia's though.

The newer mattresses are too firm for me. I don't sleep well there.

That a boy Jasonkat, I would'nt stay there either, save the room availability for us oldtimers...

After staying at OKW for 20+ years now, I can say we really love staying there. I agree with many of the replies already posted. One thing not mentioned that we love is how bright and sunny the rooms are!! The one and two bedrooms have more windows than any other resort (studios, not so much). We go mainly in the winter (coming from the frozen tundra) and love having just a bright and open rooms.

Top 3 Pro's:

Hard to pick just 3 but here goes:

1 - Huge, spacious rooms and HUGE balconies
2 - Awesome view from every unit we have ever stayed in (although I hear studios have lesser views)
3 - Has a Disney feel but is SO relaxing...
4 - (couldn't resist) Parking in front of your unit is SO handy....

(we just booked our next stay at WVL - we like to mix it up and my son really wanted WVL, it's been a while, but writing this makes me miss OKW..

Con's:

1 - Not on monorail or in walking distance to a park
2 - lack of eating choices
3 - sprawling, so you can be very far from HH. We always rent a car, so it's never been a huge issue for us
4 - I must add that in non-summer months, we have noticed that they don't heat the neighborhood pools, but I do think they heat the main pool. That is kind of a bummer.

We've stayed in Studios, 2 bedroom and Grand Villa...love each and every one of them...Views from the Studios have been wonderful...we always request top floor, golf course view and haven't been disappointed.

We don't rent a car, but find that the walk to HH isn't bad...we were in Bldg 37 and 22 and always did the walk up there...

I didn't swim in November, only did the hot tub...and that WAS HEATED :rotfl::rotfl: I love going to the pools to do the laundry...sitting in the sun while the clothes washed/dried was great for me...(Studio again). I liked that they were there rather than on a floor in a building like the other DVC's...Studios again...I kept circling the quiet pool at BCV looking for the laundry room... :rolleyes2

Lack of eating choices is a bummer...and the small counter service is very limited...but you keep that in mind when you order your groceries...

Have a WONERFUL trip... pixiedust:

If you are sharing the room with your Mother in Law, you will want to be in bldg number 30 or higher. That way she will have a separate entrance to the bathroom, otherwise she'd have to go through the master bedroom.

Whoa. I did not know that. We've stayed in 3 other DVC villas but this will be our first to OKW. DS16 and his buddy will be going with me and I had no idea there were 1 br units that have no separate bathroom access.

Whoa. I did not know that. We've stayed in 3 other DVC villas but this will be our first to OKW. DS16 and his buddy will be going with me and I had no idea there were 1 br units that have no separate bathroom access.

Yes, there was a design change during OKW construction. Since OKW was the first DVC, and was built and opened in phases, they could make minor changes after the initial sales and use of the resort. In buildings 30 and above, they added a second door to the bathroom, through the laundry room.

Yes, there was a design change during OKW construction. Since OKW was the first DVC, and was built and opened in phases, they could make minor changes after the initial sales and use of the resort. In buildings 30 and above, they added a second door to the bathroom, through the laundry room.

That is understandable. Thanks for the information.

We found the bus service at OKW to be fine, but it just took a bit getting use to and it depends on what bldg you are in.

There are 5 bus stops and each bus stops at all 5 of them before leaving the resort. If you staying on Millers Road you have to stay on the bus as it stops at Peninsula, South Point and Turtle Pond b/4 it gets to Millers Road but at the same time when it picks you up you only have one more stop b/4 you leave the resort.

Since every bus stops at every bus stop you can use the park busses as your resort transporation to get around the resort as it's a long walk from the far reaches of South Point to Hospitatlity House.

The OKW bus transportation just takes a bit getting use to but overall we found it to be very satisfactory.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter