OKW vs SSR

Monorail Bob's dd

DIS Veteran
Hello! We are planning a trip for July and were initially going to stay ay Wyndham Bonnet Creek. With the new summer discounts, we can now afford a 2 bedroom at OKW or SSR. I am having a hard time choosing between the 2. It seems like people like the size and condition of the villas better at OKW but people like the food options and the DTD accessability better at SSR. What is your preference and why? TIA!:goodvibes

Love OKW
Size of units
Decor is relaxed
feels like Florida
Spacious bathrooms
Feels like a vacation home instead of an apartment building.
Parking right outside your door.
Two real beds in the second bedroom even in a lock off.
Quiet views

I do like the food options and DTD access with SSR. I've never been tempted to try any food options over at OKW, nor have I stayed there, but I really really do want to stay at OKW first chance I get! It looks pretty nice.

They are pretty much the same, as far as location and amenities are concerned. If you have a large group (6 or more), OKW would be the better choice since the suite is a bit bigger (being the first, DVD didn't know any better ;)).

Otherwise, I would say it comes down to theme. OKW is modeled after the Florida Keys, so it has a light and airy atmosphere with pastel colors & Jimmy Buffet playing on the buses. SSR is modeled after the racehorse lifestyle in upstate NY. It has a more wood grain and cozy feel to the resort, but not as much as the Wilderness Lodge.

I would suggest you choose which theme you prefer and go with it.

Good luck!

- Chris

It's hard to say as it definitely is a personal preference. We had our first stay at OKW last month and liked it more than we thought we would. Huge rooms are a plus, and there is a great atmosphere, but SSR is still our favorite resort overall. Even we can't put our finger on it, but we get more of a "homey feel" when we stay at SSR and feel more relaxed.

I don't think you can go wrong at either spot. You're at WDW. :)

We have stayed at both and like Saratoga. The kids like the pool better, and the new Paddock pool looks great. Should be open this summer with a 146 ft water slide:cool1:

Love OKW
Size of units
Decor is relaxed
feels like Florida
Spacious bathrooms
Feels like a vacation home instead of an apartment building.
Quiet views

Plus the resort transportation has been more convenient and reliable than when we've stayed at SSR. OKW works better for us when we have our kids (6 of them) with us. Love the ability to still have some privacy with DW staying at OKW. SSR is nice when its just DW and me. When we stayed with the family it was a bit more challenging in the villa than at OKW. As others have said either way you can't go wrong -- its Disney>

They are so beautiful and close to each other. It's fun doing things at both. I love the tropical theme at OKW and the equestrian theme at SSR. They both feel like home because you park right outside your villa. I think you will enjoy either one!

OKW is our home resort and we love it for the spacious rooms, the tropical themeing and the pool is fun there also Foods to Go which has burgers and sandwiches.

We have been staying there for years, then last month Dh and I did a last minute trip and had to stay at SSR. We were worried it just wouldn't feel right. I can say we were pleasantly surprised. The studio was very roomy had a sofa sleeper which gave a living room feel to it. The Paddock pool and bus stop were closed so we had to walk just a little extra along the scenic walkways. If all were open the location would have been perfect but we ended up enjoying our walks together.

The only thing Dh didn’t care for the food at Artist Palette, he isn't into flat breads. We did like The Turf Club Bar & Grill, and they have sweet potatoes fries!

Now that we tried SSR it's hard to say which is our favorite. We could stay at either one now. It's kind of like comparing Blizzard Beach to Typhoon, each waterpark is fun to visit. Good luck in your choice.

OKW only has 3 buildings with elevators. That's a big drawback for me. I also do not like the main pool at OKW as much as I like the main pool at SSR and perhaps you'll be there after the new SSR pool opens. We like the food selections at SSR a lot.

OKW has a spacious dining area and a great balcony but, my choice would be SSR over OKW. If I need 2 beds in the studio as I sometimes do, then I book OKW.

Bobbi:goodvibes

I think it is easier to appreciate the "bang for the buck" of OKW's larger rooms, especially if you are on a prototypical park-heavy trip.
If you plan to spend a lot of resort time, then they are both become uniquely enjoyable experiences.

love okw
size of units
decor is relaxed
feels like florida
spacious bathrooms
feels like a vacation home instead of an apartment building.
Quiet views

I agree!!!!

They both are fine. SSR you can walk to DTD better pool. OKW bigger rooms nice atmosphere not as spread out. Boat takes a while to get to DTD. Nice just to walk over and go shopping or get a ice creams.

Sounds like you know a lot about what people like about OKW or SSR already. Honestly, every single resort has its niche. I certainly enjoy the room size and green views in OKW. I am the kind that spends more time in the room than in the park. But SSR has THV which is special.

Another way to look at it. Besides THV, SSR typically is the last resort to run out of rooms. So if you want a last minute trip, you may end up having no other choice but to stay at SSR. So if you are planning ahead, you may want to get a room somewhere else while you can get it :goodvibes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter