OKW to POP. Is there a big difference?

Boo :)

Oh, so they have the Internet on computers now!
Helloo :)

In a couple of weeks we'll be on our way to OKW but due to flights being cheaper etc, we've extended our stay by 3 nights. OKW were charging stupid money for the extra nights so I picked POP. I've been to all the AllStars but never POP. Will I notice that much of a difference moving from OKW?

Has anyone stayed at both?

TIA

I would because I love OKW and dislike any of the values but others love the values. We did 3 nights before OKW last month, stayed at Fairfield Inn LBV, more our kind of hotel rather than a Disney value resort. We could easily have stayed at the Fairfield Inn intead of OKW but the free DDP made OKW better value.
You will be moving from a Deluxe, peaceful resort to a busy value, basic room. If you enjoyed Allstars(we didn't) you know roughly what to expect.

yes, pop is just like the all stars....
it's fine...a roof over your head..

as Wayne said, it's busy and noisy (like the all stars), but it's fine...

when you're at the pop, take a walk over to the new Art of Animation resort (just across the bridge).
DD said it's much prettier than pop and has a better food court...

i should add, we stayed at the pop for 2 weeks last year...and this is after having stayed concierge level at the deluxes for years and years..
and you know what? it was fine.... not the GF concierge, but perfectly fine....

I agree Pop is just fine, if I had the choice I'd stay Mod or obviously Deluxe any day, however if Pop was all I could afford at that point (and it has been and probably will be on certain trips in the future) then it's just fine. I don't like the themeing personally but the actual fundamentals of the resort are just fine, it's not some grotty motel 6 that's for sure.

Thanks for the replies. Not looking forward to it being busy compared to the quiet OKW, but looking forward to staying in a different hotel. Another quick question, the refillable mugs, will we be able to use our OKW ones at POP?

Boo :) said:
Thanks for the replies. Not looking forward to it being busy compared to the quiet OKW, but looking forward to staying in a different hotel. Another quick question, the refillable mugs, will we be able to use our OKW ones at POP?

No, BUT (prepares to be flamed) I don't see how anyone would know since they don't do resort specific designs anymore, just that generic design with the characters by the pool.

when you're at the pop, take a walk over to the new Art of Animation resort (just across the bridge).

is the bridge open ? last time we went it was closed (march, but AoA was under construction, so obviously it was closed) but I thought they hadn't opened it yet, or they were unsure if they would open it at all or even destroy it.

Now POP is our home in WDW. We're not going anywhere else.
Values are the way to go for us, because, as PP said, it's just a roof over our heads. We're only there to sleep, and the pool is good enough for a swim. If we want water slides we just go to TL or BB for a few hours.

I find POP to be less crowded and cumbersome than the all stars
the food court is way better than at the all stars and the pools are much nicer. So are the buses (even though we don't use them)

Coming from OKW you'll notice quite a difference. OKW is designed so that you enjoy staying at the resort, POP is designed to give you the bare minimum (a roof, a bed, and a bathroom)
I actually find this more interesting than staying at a deluxe, because our main focus can be the parks and other florida attractions, we are not "distracted" by all the things you get at deluxes. :lmao:

Will I notice that much of a difference moving from OKW?

The studios at OKW are 390 sq feet compare to around 260 sq feet for a room at Pop. Beds will be doubles not queens and no balcony at Pop.

For us we would really notice the bed - we can not sleep in anything less than a queen (UK King) without keeping each other awake all night :sad2: We are too used to our superking at home (US king) :p

Another quick question, the refillable mugs, will we be able to use our OKW ones at POP?

NO, you can't
using them would be bad, really naughty of you, bad, bad, bad DISer :rotfl2: :rotfl: (just kidding :) )

You can't "resort-hop" with your mug, and the "rules" say you should buy another one for your second stay.
Now, nobody's gonna now, and in essence your POP stay is just a "room change" from your OKW stay.
Even if that gets me flamed (and I know I would get flamed on the US part of the board) I would use my mug over the second resort for a split stay like yours. (even if I buy a new one each time I go, despite the fact that the stays are close together and the mugs are the same (TBH they're a pain to bring from home in our carry ons, so that's not even an option :) )

is the bridge open ? last time we went it was closed (march, but AoA was under construction, so obviously it was closed) but I thought they hadn't opened it yet, or they were unsure if they would open it at all or even destroy it.

Now POP is our home in WDW. We're not going anywhere else.
Values are the way to go for us, because, as PP said, it's just a roof over our heads. We're only there to sleep, and the pool is good enough for a swim. If we want water slides we just go to TL or BB for a few hours.

I find POP to be less crowded and cumbersome than the all stars
the food court is way better than at the all stars and the pools are much nicer. So are the buses (even though we don't use them)

Coming from OKW you'll notice quite a difference. OKW is designed so that you enjoy staying at the resort, POP is designed to give you the bare minimum (a roof, a bed, and a bathroom)
I actually find this more interesting than staying at a deluxe, because our main focus can be the parks and other florida attractions, we are not "distracted" by all the things you get at deluxes. :lmao:

yes the bridge is open and art of animation is open - almost all the sections.

most of the resort is completely open and according to reviews (and DD) the food court has a really nice make your own pasta bar and i think also a make your own salad bar.

here's a youtube video crossing from the pop to art of animation on the bridge
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIVEq_oSi4c

NO, you can't
using them would be bad, really naughty of you, bad, bad, bad DISer :rotfl2: :rotfl: (just kidding :) )

You can't "resort-hop" with your mug, and the "rules" say you should buy another one for your second stay.
Now, nobody's gonna now, and in essence your POP stay is just a "room change" from your OKW stay.
Even if that gets me flamed (and I know I would get flamed on the US part of the board) I would use my mug over the second resort for a split stay like yours. (even if I buy a new one each time I go, despite the fact that the stays are close together and the mugs are the same (TBH they're a pain to bring from home in our carry ons, so that's not even an option :) )

we'll get flamed together then:rotfl:...because there is no way I would buy another mug! Heavens you see people re using mugs from the year dot...I know that doesn't make it ok but I am with chmurf on this...reuse them..we are even more naughty as we do resort hop with them as well...we always take them around with us when we know we are going to another resort for lunch etc..now don't do that sharpe intake of breath..I know you aren't supposed to but last time when we got our mugs our server actually said we could use them at any hotel on resort...who am I to put her right:rotfl:

I'd look on it as something different. I've got the same dilemma - need to add an extra night at OKW and had thought about pop but as it's just one night leaning to OKW. For 3 i'd swap.

Without starting world war 3 on the mugs I'd use the same aswell - it's good for your length of stay - you are just switching room :)

We stayed at 4 resorts last trip, bought our mugs on our first night (at AKL) and used them at BW and BLT/CR no problems.

I wouldn't take back a mug back to WDW on a second holiday, but no way would I have bought a new mug only 4 days after buying one at a different resort.

I figured if I'd have spent all 3 weeks at one of the hotels I could have used one mug, so using the one mug for the whole stay doesn't seem naughty to me.

I love pop, s much better than all stars imo. We have stayed at okw last two years and again this year but im looking at pop or aoa for next year as my girls will wnat more themeing

Anywhere on disney will be great :-)

Thanks again, we won't be on the dining plan for the final 3 nights so I was thinking of doing universal etc so to not waste meals.

Yeah with the mugs if I wasn't allowed to use them I wouldn't. But there is no way I would buy another set for 3 days. As PP's have said I'll most probably get flamed but from the replies I've had I will most probably use them. It's technically the same holiday and I think I'll get more use out of them in POP than OKW because of the food court etc in POP.

I love Pop and so do my 3 boys! when we stayed at AKL they actually asked if they could go visit as they missed it:lmao:

I would stay at POP again in a heart beat i think its very Disney like with wonderful colours and lovely theming so i guess its each to their own :)

On the whole Mug thing I WILL be using my mug when we go and stay at AOA for 2 nights after my 15 nights at SSR so i say go for it....It does say good for lengh of stay and your are still staying there!!

NO, you can't

mugs are generic nowadays so just use them:thumbsup2we have tons of old ones with names off resort for all the resorts we have stayed at,even got our lifetime refill mugs in the loft
Paul

Thanks again, we won't be on the dining plan for the final 3 nights so I was thinking of doing universal etc so to not waste meals.

Yeah with the mugs if I wasn't allowed to use them I wouldn't. But there is no way I would buy another set for 3 days. As PP's have said I'll most probably get flamed but from the replies I've had I will most probably use them. It's technically the same holiday and I think I'll get more use out of them in POP than OKW because of the food court etc in POP.

we even have been to front desk as said we are changing resorts,they say as long as it a continuous stay and no break no problem:thumbsup2
Paul

We've stayed twice at Pop and loved it, this year we are staying at CSR but part of me will miss not staying at the Pop, especially now that AoA is open too :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter