OKW studio tips and location advice

hellerjw

DIS Veteran
Our waitlist for an OKW studio in June came through so now I have the fun of planning our first OKW stay! We won't be staying in the HH units and I wanted some advice on which area to request.

From the resort map it looks like buildings 45, 46 and 55 are on the canal but I wasn't sure if they were too far from the main building to be a good choice? We will probably need to do laundry at least once so being near one of the laundry rooms would be nice. I also don't want to be too far from a bus stop. Also any recommendation on which floor to request?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Buildings 45,46, and 55 are my favorites! It is about a 5 minute walk from HH to 45 and 46 and about 8 minutes from 55 to HH. If you don't want to walk from 55, you can easily stop at the South Point bus stop and get on the next bus (no matter where it is going) and get off at HH. I only do this if there is one there and ready. Otherwise, I just enjoy the beautiful walk.

One thing you have to know though, is that the studios on many buildings will be blocked by vegetation. Of those 3 buildings, this is most true of 55.

As Diane said, those 3 buildings are the best for any canal view. But location is really a matter of personal preference. We tend to like bldgs 30 to 33, as they are close to a bus stop and get a little less noise than the buildings near the Turtle Pond pool.

The building farthest from HH (51) is a little over 6/10 of a mile from HH.

The building farthest from HH (51) is a little over 6/10 of a mile from HH.

That's a good bit of information, and I can easily use that as a good way to visualize, since my driveway is 1/10 mile long. Three times up and down my driveway sounds about right.

Did I read somewhere that there are no elevators at OKW? We just booked our first trip there and my 72 yo MIL will be going with us. I'm not sure she will want to climb the stairs.

Did I read somewhere that there are no elevators at OKW? We just booked our first trip there and my 72 yo MIL will be going with us. I'm not sure she will want to climb the stairs.

That is correct. Only the 3 newest buildings (62, 63 and 64) have elevators, as they were built after changes to the Americans with Disabilites Act.

That said. My Mom is nearly 87, and I have never had problems getting ground floor accomodations at OKW, unless booking a Grand Villa. There is only one GV with a first floor entrance, and then there are some on the 3 elevator buildings.

Be sure to request ground floor for medical needs when making the reservation.

how ofter do mousekeeping come in for non-dvc members?

if they make a cash reservation directly with disney (CRO) - mousekeeping is daily.

if it is a points reservation for a member or non-member, mousekeeping in some form comes every 4th day or so.

If you rented a reservation from a DVC member, and are staying 8 nights, you will receive full housekeeping on day 4, and trash/towel service on day 8. If you are staying less than 8 nights, you will receive trash/towel service on day 4.

If you are paying cash directly through Disney, you will receive daily housekeeping.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter