• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OKW-- stranded without car?

Earning My Ears
We are finalizing our plans to leave one week from today for our first trip home--OKW.

My mom, who we invited to join us, called this morning to tell me that NAtional somehow messed up her rental car, and we don't have one available. Besides the fact that this was the only thing I asked her to do to help get ready for the trip (a little venting), I have to figure out what to do.

My main question is whether we can use taxis or some type of other transportation to get around the world? We figure we can just walk around OKW, take busses to the parks, and boat over to SS to pool hop. However we have dinner reservations at some un-park stops. For example, we have 8 pm PS at Ohanas (when MK closes at 7). Rather than taking the bus to DD, and back to OKW, can we take a cab directly to OKW. With my parents and my preschoolers, the bus route is too long, and I may have to just change my dinner plans.

HAs anyone had any experience trying to get a taxi while in the world?

THANKS>

The front desk at DW will make the taxi reservations for you, but they are a bit expensive. Why don't you try another car rental place? They have a ton of them at the airport.::MickeyMo

We've always used the transportation system. We had dinner reservations alll over, and we just plan to leave early. Getting to a resort ahead of our PS allowed us to explore a bit before dinner.

One night we chose to take a cab back to OKW, but that was a special dinner (California Grill at Contemporary) and very late. We never regretted using the transportation system. We were really happy to spend the money on more nice dinners rather than a rental car for the week.

jayne

I have a National reservation for December and I'm curious how they "messed up" your reservation. There were reports of car shortages at MCO due to the hurricanes (people drove them home, they rented to FEMA) but recent reports are that things are back to normal. I made a backup reservation with Dollar just in case.

We rarely rent a car when staying at OKW or any of the DVC resorts.

Getting from one resort to another usually runs around $10.00 give or take a couple of dollars either way. For the few times that we use them, it's much cheaper than having a rental car sitting there.

Your main concern should be in getting to WDW from the airport. We use FL Tours and highly recommend them. Don't forget to ask for a grocery stop beforehand if you choose a towncar service.

Could she have just forgotten to make the reservation and that is what she is saying. Just go out on their site and do it, you'll get a car.

You can easily stay at OKW without a car. We've done it.

While I'm certain there would be ways you could still rent a car if you wanted to do so, I don't think staying at OKW without a car throws up any problems that can't be worked around with a little planning. I would probably try to change the restaurant reservations to places that are easier to get to (DTD or Epcot), unless Ohana's has a special significance.

Thanks. I'm leaning towards no car and trying out the taxis. Hopefully it will be doable.

How did National mess up? Interesting question; I'm not quite sure of the answer. My mom originally "made" the reservations in August when we first planned the trip. She did have a reservation number (and even gave it to me once urging me to call them about discount passes---which I didn't because I decided to just get the tix at my nearby Disney store).

She called yesterday, because she wanted to "double check" on the dicount tickets. Apparently they don't have a record of the reservation or the reservation number. But they told her to get the car for the 6 days she wanted would cost and extra 350 than they originally quoted her. (I guess with the expected increase in traffic this time of year, possibly due to hurricanes, its peak time for mini-vans). She did not want to spend the extra money, especially since we'd be using disney transportation for the most part anyway.

We could probably find a car somewhere else, but at this point I think I'l just drop it. I planned this entire trip by myself, from accomodations to PS, to tickets for all 8 of us.....This was the one thing I passed off. I don't have the energy to start shopping around for cars right now. As long as we have taxis as an option, we'll just use them.

Thanks.

If you find you just have to have a car you could rent one after you got there. Just be sure to make your arrangements either online or through a national number.

Minivans are hugely expensive anyway (maybe they mistakenly gave her the wrong rate?). I'd try to get my unit near the first or the last bus stop (Miller Road?) and arrange for a one day car rental if I just had to have one.

Failing that you could just keep checking Orbitz up until your day of departure...www.orbitz.com... the advantage is you get to see a variety of rates when you list for available cars.

Do you have a Disney VISA card? If so, you might want to check the inserts that came with your most recent statement. Alamo (WDW's official rental car company) has a special deal on compacts ($139/week) and minivans/SUVs for $199/week through 1/31/05. To get that rate, you must have the I.D.# and Rate Code listed on the insert plus charge it to your Disney VISA. We just booked within the last week and were able to get a compact for the 3 of us for the $139 rate (before all the taxes & other fees they add in) for December 27-January 3.

With this being said, we recently stayed at OKW and found it quite easy to get around on the buses (plus our unit was VERY close to the main bus stop in OKW)! Another option would be to take a bus to the Ticket & Transportation Center and then catch the monorail to the Poly!

When we fly, we usually rent a car just overnight to get from MCO to our DVC resort. Then we turn it in at the Dolphin (National has a location there) the next day, and walk back to Epcot.

The difference in price between the one-day and one-week rental more than covers the few taxis we take... usually two or 3 times during a stay. You would likely have enough to cover a taxi to take you back to the airport at the end of your trip, too.

BTW, every time we decided to use a taxi, there was one available immediately at whichever resort we were leaving. One night after Wishes, we walked from MK over to the Contemporary, and got one from there to BCV for about $13 plus tip! Spent the extra 30 to 60 minutes we saved in the hot tub!

I believe your mom. We were at MLB on the 16th and were very lucky to get a car. They are way oversold. He said MCO was a whole lot worse off. When we returned the car on the 23rd we asked if things had gotten any better and he said no. He said MCO was overboked by more than 1000 cars that they did not have. Our car at MLB had a sticker on t from MCO. A guy came in on the 16th and asked the rep about prices and he said they were horrible right now, so that is all true too. Try another rental car place but don't be surprised if you get there and don't have a car. I don't think any of them are exempt from what's happened. I think it's industry wide in Fl. We ended up in WDW as we had ressies at VB and that's why we flew into MLB and so it was a 63 mile trip each way. I don't know what we would have done if they said we could not have gotten a car. We will never fly in anywhere except MCO again. At least you can change plans more easily from there. The transportation board had many threads about this.

If you have to go resort to resort, taxis are a good way to do it. They are usually uner $10 and it's much better than schlepping from the bus to the TTC or DD, changing buses etc.

Bell services at any hotel can get a taxi for you fairly quick.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter