OKW/SSR - help us to decide....

debbiebee

Mouseketeer
Hi - trying to decide between OKW/SSR for aug 2012 - been reading reviews and opinions seem pretty much divided.

Couple of questions - think we are favouring OKW as we would prefer the 2 beds (2 adults and 2 kids) but also really like the close proximity of SSR to DTD. sooooo - how long would it take to walk from OKW to DTD?

also - i see that OKW has recently been re-furbished - what about SSR - have they been refurbed recently or due to be done?

lastly (for now - LOL) - both resorts look huge!! was thinking we would prob request a studio near t0 hospitality house at OKW - what is the layout like at SSR ansd is it easy (quick) to get around.

thanks x

We stayed at OKW last August and are going again this year.
We didn't walk to DTD but it's only a short, and very pleasant boat ride away.
The resort is very spread out, but if you are a long way from the Hospitality House area and don't have a car, you can always jump on any of the buses - they all stop there.

This August will be our 3rd year in a row at OKW, been to SSR and had a look around but don't like it anywhere near as much(but others prefer it)
As you say OKW has 2 beds in a studio plus they have just gone thru a 2 year refurb, as they were the original DVC units they are the biggest, OKW 390 square feet, SSR 355 square feet.
There is a free boat to DTD runs 11 a.m. and 11:00 p.m, can't remember if its every 20 or 30 mins. Its about 1 mile walk, not advised after dark.

Don't think there are any plans for SSR refurb, something was done with the pool area recently, don't know much about SSR. Only opened 2004/2005 so should still be in good order (OKW opened 1991)

I am thinking of requesting building 55 area, just about furthest away from the HH but great little pool area and views of the water. Prefer it to being around HH.

We loved okw - chose it due to theming and 2 beds in a studio - bed settee for DD didn't appeal.

DTD is a boat ride away or if you have a car a couple of mins drive.

We liked the turtle pond swimming pool and would request a room there again.

Has to be OKW for me, unbelievably relaxed vibe to say you're staying onsite, we had a look round SS when we signed up for DVC and can't say that we were that impressed, whereas some might say a view of DTD might be a perk, to me it took any believability away from the theming.

We stayed over by Turtle Pond, the bus service over to HH was fairly regular and we always got the boat over to DTD - helped keep you in that relaxed vibe! Pool at HH was great and the Gurgling Suitcase is a great place to have an evening cocktail or two.

Once we've tried out the Beach Club next year, we will undoubtedly be returning to OKW again on a future holiday.

Hi - trying to decide between OKW/SSR for aug 2012 - been reading reviews and opinions seem pretty much divided.

Couple of questions - think we are favouring OKW as we would prefer the 2 beds (2 adults and 2 kids) but also really like the close proximity of SSR to DTD. sooooo - how long would it take to walk from OKW to DTD?

also - i see that OKW has recently been re-furbished - what about SSR - have they been refurbed recently or due to be done?

lastly (for now - LOL) - both resorts look huge!! was thinking we would prob request a studio near t0 hospitality house at OKW - what is the layout like at SSR ansd is it easy (quick) to get around.

thanks x

I'd vote for SSR (but i'm biased as i own DVC here). SSR is currently getting a new pool and quick service location- http://dvcnews.com/index.php/resorts/saratoga-springs/news/1136-concept-art-for-new-saratoga-pool

It's due to open this summer and gives another choice for dining if you are doing the DDP. I like SSR because it's close to DD (walking or boat) It takes about 20 mins to walk depending upon where your room is. It's got a very relaxed atmosphere and the turf club restaurant is very good. :thumbsup2

Difficult choice for you though. ;)

Stayed at both with a small child and def recommend okw over ssr. Mice location but tht is it for us. Rooms a lot nicer at okw espec now they hv been updated. Sorry just didnt like ssr at all.

My parents are DVC members since '94...We have always stayed at OKW and LOVED it as kids...it is our home resort. We also gave SSR a try and actually really enjoyed it. Could be because we are all older now, but we loved artist's pallet and the theme. I used to spend my summer's in Saratoga in upstate NY so I could be a bit biased haha. However OKW has bigger rooms than SSR. I can't decide, I'm torn :confused3

We have stayed at both. I think I prefer OKW slightly more because of the large room sizes but last year we stayed at SSR and were located really near to the pool and reception etc, so it was a great location and I loved being close to things. SSR has the better CS restaurant by far - and I liked the TS restaurant better than the one at OKW too. You can walk to DTD from SSR but we ended never doing that although did take the boat. The view over DTD is nice. You can't go wrong with either really :)

I love OKW, stayed there in July and I am staying again in September. Very pretty and relaxing with loads to do for the kids. The only thing is the theming OKW is White washed wood and SSP is dark classy wood.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter