OKW--silly question?

kymi

Earning My Ears
We will be staying at OKW in a 2 bedroom villa and I plan on cooking a few times and doing our laundry---so I can FINALLY pack less--LOL!!!! Do I have to bring my own laundry detergent, dryer sheets and dishwashing soap? or do they have somewhere to buy small amounts as I don't want to buy full size products. Also any other great advice on staying at OKW will be appreciated. This will be our very first time at OKW and I'm very excited. I just hope we will like it as I'm a whee bit nervous! Some of the threads sound very good about OKW and then there are some that worry me. I want to make it a special trip as my oldest son will be off to college next year and this will probably be his last vacation w/us. Sorry to go on........he! he! :D

This will be my 12th time to Disney!!!! WE ARE BIG DISNEY FANS!!!!!! 4th time staying inside the park which is the way to go! :bounce:

Dish soap (liquid detergent and dishwasher powder) are provided.

Dryer sheets are not provided, you must supply your own.

A single load box of Tide laundry soap is provided. If you can find the laundry tablets (Tide, Wisk, Purex) in your area, they pack easily. The water at WDW is softer than we have here at home, so usually 1 tablet, instead of the 2 they suggest per load, does fine for our clothes.

Laundry soap is available at the resort store, but you pay for the convenience ;)

They give you a small one load box of Tide upon arrival, so we always bring laundry detergent from home. They don't provide dryer sheets. I put a load of laundry detergent in a baggie and then double baggie it, so all I have to do is dump that baggie of detergent in the washer. I also bring those "dye magnets" on our trip, so I don't worry about separating the clothes while vacationing; I just pop our family's clothes together in one load in the morning when we get up and then put the clothes in the dryer before we leave for the parks; I fold them up in the evening after we are done with the parks. They do bring another box of Tide with housekeeping. They provide all the dishwash detergent you need.

Have a great trip! You are going to get spoiled by staying in a two bedroom at OKW; you may not want to stay in a regular hotel room ever again!

Kymi,
I just returned from a week at OKW in a 1 bedroom. There was a sample size tide, and a small palmolive dishwashing liquid supplied. No dishwasher detergent, but I think they were suppose to give a sample. There were two small shampoo's a 3 small bars of soap as well and 1 coffee. You can purchse more (laundry detergent was $1 for another load, I think). You could get more soaps for $3 and more towels for $6 if I remember correctly.

Here is what I did. I went to a grocery store, the publix that is nearby. I bought a liquid detergent (8 loads). I brough my own dryer sheets. I also brought my own dishwasher detergent (I use the individually wrapped Electosol, so it was easy to pack.

I wouldn't recommend the Publix, it was still pretty expensive. I was told there were more grocery stores a little further down on 536(?). I know there are better grocery stores in Kissimee too. I also stocked up on bottled water, breakfast items, milk, icecream, a few micro wave dinners, soda pop, coffe, and snacks. Even though that publix charged too much, I saved a lot of money.

Hope this helps.

:wave:

Originally posted by condoboy
Kymi,
I just returned from a week at OKW in a 1 bedroom. There was a sample size tide, and a small palmolive dishwashing liquid supplied. No dishwasher detergent, but I think they were suppose to give a sample. There were two small shampoo's a 3 small bars of soap as well and 1 coffee. You can purchse more (laundry detergent was $1 for another load, I think). You could get more soaps for $3 and more towels for $6 if I remember correctly.

Here is what I did. I went to a grocery store, the publix that is nearby. I bought a liquid detergent (8 loads). I brough my own dryer sheets. I also brought my own dishwasher detergent (I use the individually wrapped Electosol, so it was easy to pack.

I wouldn't recommend the Publix, it was still pretty expensive. I was told there were more grocery stores a little further down on 536(?). I know there are better grocery stores in Kissimee too. I also stocked up on bottled water, breakfast items, milk, icecream, a few micro wave dinners, soda pop, coffe, and snacks. Even though that publix charged too much, I saved a lot of money.

Hope this helps.

:wave:

They should have stocked the dishwash detergent in your villa; next time call for some and they will bring some to your villa rather than buying the detergent yourself!

There is a good Publix on 192 and 535.

Not to worry, every time we have brought friends and family to OKW they always loved it. Our children (now 25 and 26) have always preferred OKW to any other even when they were 16 and 17......... It is spacious and relaxing and beautiful. The only issue right now would be the construction of the new slide at the main pool, and we personally don't really like the quiet pools.

We have stayed at other DVC and non DVC Disney resorts and we love OKW the best, the exception being the Poly, which we always stayed at pre DVC --- It has a special place in our hearts as we have so many great memories there.

I hope you like it!!!!!!!! Enjoy:wave2: :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Originally posted by AZKathy
They should have stocked the dishwash detergent in your villa; next time call for some and they will bring some to your villa rather than buying the detergent yourself!

There is a good Publix on 192 and 535.
Kathy posted just was I was going to say.::yes::
They do supply detergent for your dishwasher and for washing dishes by hand. If you use up what is supplied (which is pretty unlikely since you get more than sample size), just call Housekeeping and they will bring more.

The laundry detergent provided is just a small box. On your cleaning day (and maybe Trash and Tidy), they will provide another small box if you need one. But, it's easier to just pick up or bring a small supply yourself.

I'm curious about things the OP read that bothered them. If you let us know what they are, maybe we can help.

You should have had a packet or two of dishwasher soap in oyur unit, so if you arrive there and don't have it, call Mousekeeping. We usually end up doing a load or 2 in the dishwasher, so that's generally enough for us. They also give you a small bottle of dish soap, which has always been more than enough. One box of Tide powder. We bring the tablets if we can find them or buy a small bottle of laundry soap at the grocery store...Tide pwder makes DH itchy. We have had good luck at Publix price-wise, but I live in the northeast, so it's expensive here. There is also a Winn-Dixie near WDW. If you go out the gate that is over near DTD(the one that would take you to Crossroads Mall and Goodings grocery store...note, Goodings is VERY expensive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), take a left out the gate and about 5-10 minutes down that road on the right will be a Winn-Dixie. I also think there's an Albertson's fairly close by too, but I am not sure where it is. In general, I think the Publix is about the closest.

As far as the resort itself...we love OKW. We actually own 2 contracts there. I like the laid back feel of it, I like room size and the fact that you park in front of your unit rather than having to walk a far distance (that's for you Richyams;)). The main pool area,while currently under construction, is quite nice. The quiet pools are nice and fairly conveniently located. The boat to DTD is a nice feature. I don't think you'll have any problem with OKW. I have heard folks complain about the bus service, but I have always had good luck.

I found small boxes, the same size of Tide that Mousekeeping leave in the rooms, at a Dollar Store near me. Either Tide or Gain...3 for $1. They also had single sizes of Liquid Downy...also 3 for $1.

I got three of each, forgetting that you can't open the washer lid until the cycle stops. (Found this out when a load was uneven and tried to straighten it out...the lid locks). Anyway, I have a Downy Ball that I'll bring for the softener.

OKW is one of our favorite spots! It's so spacious and tropical and relaxing.

General suggestion --- don't hesitate to call mousekeeping with your questions. Not everything is provided (ie, dryer sheets, extra detergent --- I, too, use just 1 tablet because the water is soft), but it's amazing how many people post that their villa didn't have xyz and they went out and bought it or did without. It's not uncommon for the kitchen to be missing something, and mousekeeping should bring it right over. They do have additional things that aren't routinely stocked, but might be available, so it never hurts to ask. We've always found them helpful and very pleasant. I spoke with a woman this spring who was staying in a studio and mousekeeping brought her new plastic containers so she could have something to store her cut-up fruit in.

Hope you have a great trip!

At OKW, they usually have a box of dishwasher detergent rather than the packets. It's in the upper cabinet closest to the wall.

Originally posted by Dopey Sharon
I found small boxes, the same size of Tide that Mousekeeping leave in the rooms, at a Dollar Store near me. Either Tide or Gain...3 for $1. They also had single sizes of Liquid Downy...also 3 for $1.

I got three of each, forgetting that you can't open the washer lid until the cycle stops. (Found this out when a load was uneven and tried to straighten it out...the lid locks). Anyway, I have a Downy Ball that I'll bring for the softener.

What a great deal! I will have to look for these as well, since I can't seem to find the tablets around here any more! :(

For the washer, if you push the dial in and wait a minute for the cycle to stop, you can then open the washer to adjust the load or to add softener. I always bring a Downy ball too, tho -- because I never remember to check the washer at the right time to add it! :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Disneyaholic
What a great deal! I will have to look for these as well, since I can't seem to find the tablets around here any more! :(

For the washer, if you push the dial in and wait a minute for the cycle to stop, you can then open the washer to adjust the load or to add softener. I always bring a Downy ball too, tho -- because I never remember to check the washer at the right time to add it! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info...I didn't know that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter