OKW Questions?

bjresmom

Earning My Ears
Well, we are still on the waiting list for BWV, and WLV for December 4-11, LOL! We are staying at OKW, and I have a question for the experts. When we originally made our ressies, we thought my folks would be joining us. Sadly, due to a hip replacement surgery, Mom can't travel yet. We decided to go anyway, and make a scrapbook of funny moments (with my family, they tend to be frequent!). I asked OKW for a first floor 2 BR, as my mom would have been in a scooter. I never requested handicap accessible, and now I am concerned that we may get a room without a tub? With 3 kids going, and a DH who LIVES for his late night, after park commando sessions, hot tub with beverage soak, it would not work very well! Also, I would not want to be taking up a HA room that could be used by someone who really needs it. Can I ask the desk to make sure we just get a regular room?
Also, I just wanted to thank all of you for so much amazing info! Even though my folks can't come, my dad in CA has been reading these boards daily, and he called me to say, "It's almost like being there, isn't it?" It made me cry, but you folks DO touch hearts, and we are so thankful!
WE ARE LEAVING IN 20 DAYS!!!! I CAN HARDLY WAIT!!!!

Just call the cro. Tell them your needs have changed and you just wanted to update you reservation. They'll be happy to help.

why would you get a room without a tub?
the OKW 2 bedroom apartments are enormous....as is the master bath that has both a shower and a gigantic jacuzzi....
i can't remember the second bathroom, so i don't know what's in there...
but the standard master bathroom seems large enough for an army of wheelchairs....

if you've never stayed at the OKW, it's gigantic in comparison to the other DVC 2 bedrooms....

In a handicapped unit, you would still get the jacuzzi tub in the master. I would add the request to your reservation to be sure. I've requested first floor there before and never got a handicapped. I always make a point of asking when we check-in if it's handicapped if we get a first floor. Last May I requested first floor (not a medical reason) but we ended up on the second.

As Debbie said, in an accessible 2BR you will still have a jacuzzi style tub in the master bathroom. The shower will be accessible however and if it's like the 2BR acessible rooms we'e had at VB and BCV, the second bathroom will also have an accessible shower and no tub.

I would just call Member Serices or DRC and explain your needs have changed.

Sorry to hear your parents can't join you. Good luck to your mother and a big shout out to your Dad!

You may want to just call CRO or MS (whichever you made the ressie thru) and change your request to "Non-H/A" and just reiterate it to the CM checking you in. I think generally they try to make sure you have a tub when there's kids in the unit but with a 2bdrm that would automatically be covered. I'd definitly change your request on your ressie though.

Have a great trip, You'll love the 2bdrms at OKW!:teeth:

Originally posted by disneyholic family
{snip}i can't remember the second bathroom, so i don't know what's in there...
but the standard master bathroom seems large enough for an army of wheelchairs....{snip}

The 2nd bathroom (in a regular non H/A unit anyway) will have a tub with a toilet and sink/vanity and then a sink and closet right outside of it -- that's in a dedicated 2bdrm. In a lock-off, the 2nd bdrm is a studio connected to a 1bdrm w/ the connecting door unlocked and you have the same set up in the bathroom but with the kitchenette outside the bathroom.

Just an FYI though, unless you have a H/A bathroom you cannot just roll a wheelchair into the shower - you need to step over the shower curb to enter the shower. The H/A bathrooms are made so that you can just roll right into the shower. You still as mentioned though get the jacuzzi tub in the H/A units in a 1bdrm or larger but would have the roll in shower;)

Originally posted by Scoootch
You may want to just call CRO or MS (whichever you made the ressie thru) and change your request to "Non-H/A" and just reiterate it to the CM checking you in. I think generally they try to make sure you have a tub when there's kids in the unit but with a 2bdrm that would automatically be covered. I'd definitly change your request on your ressie though.

Have a great trip, You'll love the 2bdrms at OKW!:teeth:
Sorry to hear about you change in plans.

Some CMs have suggested NOT asking for non-handicapped. They have said the non part is easily missed and you might actually end up with a handicapped unit.
As the others mentioned, even the fully wheelchair accessible units still have the whirlpool tub.
If your reservation was first floor for Medical Reasons, I would change that to either just first floor, or if you don't care what floor, get rid of the floor request all together. The Medical Reasons requests are assigned before the general first floor requests.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter