OKW Pool closed in December

abner1776

DIS Veteran
Just received letter from the GM at OKW that the Sandcastle Pool area and waterside will be closed for reburb in December and that we are welcome to use the other quiet area pools or SSR.

Since the pool is rather large and spread out, can I assume that the entire pool enclosure area including the pool decks and sandy area for lounge chairs, etc. is also closed and does anyone know when the refurb begins and ends ?

Also, with the pool area closed it sort of takes the benefit out of booking hospitality...why did they wait until 3 months before to notify guests ??

Got the letter yesterday, but in our experience it had not been swimming weather the last few. NYE times, so it doesn't affect our OKW trip.

Wouldn't you still have better access to store and meals? At least you did not pay more points for HH.

I'm doing a split stay, with OKW on December 6-11. I'm pretty ticked off about this, since I always book near HH. Now they announce this! haven't received the letter yet.
I wait listed AKL at 7months, so maybe that will come through.

I just saw a news report that the closing is set for early January through February, not December.

Got the letter yesterday, but in our experience it had not been swimming weather the last few. NYE times, so it doesn't affect our OKW trip.

Wouldn't you still have better access to store and meals? At least you did not pay more points for HH.

When did you get the letter? We're going after you (arriving in January), yet we haven't yet gotten the letter. As far as better access to meals, DH would definitely agree. A trip to WDW isn't complete without a trip to Olivia's for their Duval Burger.

We are currently at OKW. We were lead to believe that the Millers Rd pool was currently closed. It was open yesterday and today, but there were people working on a gate at the pool. It has been fenced all the way around with only the gates not in place. My guess is that the themed pool will be gated in December.

So when the pool is down does that mean the bar is closed also? sorry if that seems silly, i've never been to OKW. thanks

Per the Disney booking website: From early January through February 2017, the Sandcastle Pool at Disney’s Old Key West Resort will be closed for refurbishment. The pools at Old Turtle Pond, South Point and Miller’s Road will remain available for your enjoyment.

So when the pool is down does that mean the bar is closed also? sorry if that seems silly, i've never been to OKW. thanks
It's not a pool bar, it's in the boardwalk area attached tot he restaurant. It's not much of a bar though.

When did you get the letter? We're going after you (arriving in January), yet we haven't yet gotten the letter. As far as better access to meals, DH would definitely agree. A trip to WDW isn't complete without a trip to Olivia's for their Duval Burger.
Letter arrived Sept 22.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter