OKW or BCV for Dec 2013??

Minniekins

DIS Veteran
Need some help deciding where to stay on our next mother daughter trip in Dec of this year! We've been going each year for a while now, staying in moderates. A couple of years ago we got a great discount and tried the Wilderness Lodge at Christmas and had a great stay. This past Dec, we decided to try dvc rental and got a great deal, seems like a well kept secret, lol! We tried the Animal Kingdom Lodge and stayed at Jambo house.

We are now planning our next trip for Dec 2013 and are debating where to stay! We are trying to decide between an Old Key West Resort studio room and the Beach Club Villas. One thing that's swaying me is the cost for the OKW studio is about 400 cheaper than the BC studio! But, both are beautiful and fun and tropical. We don't swim much so the pool doesn't really matter. There are more restaurants at BC that we could go to, Cape May and Beaches and Cream in particular, but Olivia's is good, too, and we can still always go over to BC for the restaurants if we want to. I've seen some pics of the rooms - the beach club rooms don't really look very beachy, lol, they look rather old fashioned. And the old key west rooms, well i really like the older color scheme which looked more key west like, than the newer refurbished studio rooms. (We actually stayed there about 16 yrs ago, in a two bdrm, it was beautiful then!).

So, we are looking for some opinions on OKW vs. BCV , hoping lots of you will weigh in on this with some opinions on why we might like to pick one or the other for our Christmas trip! Thanks for reading!
:santa:

We love the Beach Club villas. But one thing to consider with the suites is that there is a good chance that you would get one queen bed and one sofa sleeper at the BCV. There are two queen beds in the OKW suites.

Thanks Wood Nymph! Why do you love BCV?

I will say, my daughter is leaning towards the BCV, while I'm leaning towards OKW. But, she did have the pull out sleeper this past Dec at the AKL, and she said it was ok, but not great for comfort.

Oh, am wondering about the bus stop. At OKW, you can be right near a bus stop. How far is the bus stop from the DVC rooms at BCV?

The bus stop is close but the sleeper sofas are not comfortable at BCV. BCV is my home resort but I would not stay in a studio if it requires using the sleeper. I would choose the 2 beds at OKW.

The biggest draw to BCV is being able to walk to Epcot and have all the dining options there and in the 5 Epcot resort area restaurants. But it wouldn't be enough for me to sleep on that uncomfortable sofa bed.

Thank you! Interesting, two comments about the bed vs sofa sleeper... Is it right that the dvc rooms at BCV always only come with the one queen bed and a sofa sleeper?

Thank you! Interesting, two comments about the bed vs sofa sleeper... Is it right that the dvc rooms at BCV always only come with the one queen bed and a sofa sleeper?

We have stayed at the BCVs three times and the first time we had two queen beds. If your daughter doesn't mind sleeping in a sleeper sofa, and you don't mind the extra cost, then BCV will be a great place to stay. You can walk into two parks from there. Epcot is great because of the World Showcase and all the restaurant options there. The bus to MK, AK, and DTD is really close to the villas. MK is the next stop on that bus. It always shares with the YC and sometimes some of the other Epcot resorts. But it isn't too bad at all.

OKW would always be a bus ride to everything. It looks like a nice resort. You can learn more about it on the:

OKW lovers thread.

:)

We are OKW lovers and have stayed at BCV once- probably will never stay there again. Love the beach feel of course but found the villas to be very worn and dirty(we had a regular room first since my DD was sick when we checked in) the difference between the Beach Club and the quality of the villas was astounding.

Never again

Linda

We are OKW lovers and have stayed at BCV once- probably will never stay there again. Love the beach feel of course but found the villas to be very worn and dirty(we had a regular room first since my DD was sick when we checked in) the difference between the Beach Club and the quality of the villas was astounding.

Never again

Linda

As nice as BVC, themeing and the wonderful pool is...its still a*BOX Biulding/Hotel*.

OKW is layout, theming and landscaping are top notch.the siutes.excellent and large......

It spread out nicely for a nice walk or to HH . They are smaller pools and Turtle Crawl pool, snack bar and family BBQ's at the far end which makes swmings and activities basicley close by no matter where your siute is.

Bus service is rarely a problem, in fact very rarely. There is a internal bus and all the buses stop at HH befor they leave. We really don't see walking to Epcot, (10 to 15 minute) a big selling point for BC vs a 15 to 30 minute bus ride to any of the parks a big difference.

Bottom line, we stayed at BC once........never again...........we are OKW lovers.:thumbsup2

AKK

We have stayed at the BCVs three times and the first time we had two queen beds. If your daughter doesn't mind sleeping in a sleeper sofa, and you don't mind the extra cost, then BCV will be a great place to stay. You can walk into two parks from there. Epcot is great because of the World Showcase and all the restaurant options there. The bus to MK, AK, and DTD is really close to the villas. MK is the next stop on that bus. It always shares with the YC and sometimes some of the other Epcot resorts. But it isn't too bad at all.

OKW would always be a bus ride to everything. It looks like a nice resort. You can learn more about it on the:

OKW lovers thread.

:)

The only way you could have gotten two queen beds at BCV would be a dedicated two bedroom villa with two queen beds in the second bedroom (and there are only 25 of them). There has never been two queen beds in the studio at BCV. Now if you are talking about the BC, yes, you could have two queen beds there.

The BCV studios have always had one queen bed and one double sleeper sofa. The OKW studios have always had two queen beds.

I'm appreciating the responses! Interesting to hear why you like one place or the other! It does make me excited to read about OKW, it just sounds lovely and I've always wanted to go back after 16 yrs, lol, but I'm open to hearing about both - trying to be fair and open minded, lol!

I don't know that I'd be able to walk to Epcot and such, as I''ve got some really bad knees and want to save them for while in the parks but that is cool to be so close. My daughter said she might try it though, and being close to seeing the fireworks would be cool!

Thanks for the OKW Lovers thread suggestion, found it! They do love it there!

Anyone have any comments about the way the studio rooms look at the OKW? The pics don't make them look to be the prettiest rooms after their recent refurb, they looked more key west-ish before. Also, they layout looks a bit odd and DD wonders if both people can see the tv well from their beds? Also, is there a dvd player there? Last Christmas we enjoyed watching Christmas dvds we brought with when relaxing before bed.

So, anyone else like to weigh in? Love to hear lots more opinions, good and bad, why you'd pick OKW over BCV, or visa versa from fellow Dissers! Thanks again! :thumbsup2

We stay at BC for one reason, location. That, in itself, makes it worthwhile to us because we like love the short walk to EPCOT, WS especially, and of course BW for all the restaurants and entertainment they all offer. Also love the convenience to HS, with the option of boat ride or a nice stroll.

Wherever you stay, I'm sure you'll have a magical stay!

:goodvibes

Minniekins said:

I have owned at BCV from the beginning and the studios have always had one bed and the sleeper .

The sleeper is bad enough that my best friend decided to get her own hotel room rather than sleep for free for a week on that sleeper!!

We have never stayed at OkW but we have stayed at BC and BCV. We love Epcot so we love being so close, also you have a lot of options with dining between the BW and also the Swan and Dolphin hotels. OkW seems lovely and I know the rooms are bigger than BCV, but location is important to us so that is the main reason we like it. Have a great trip whatever you choose!

I have owned at BCV from the beginning and the studios have always had one bed and the sleeper .

The sleeper is bad enough that my best friend decided to get her own hotel room rather than sleep for free for a week on that sleeper!!

WOW!!
My adult DS ( 30 ish) thought it was very comfortable on 3 different trips. certainly better than the former sleepers.
Folks sure are different

We stayed at BCV's back when they first opened and we had two queen beds in the studio. The second time we went there we were surprised to see that the suite had a queen and a sleeper. Maybe it was just that one room.

But anyway, the regular BC rooms are nicer than the BCV suites. :)

Hmmm, interesting... enjoy reading people's opinions! So, we are planning to rent dvc points to stay at either of the places. At the Beach Club, the dvc studios are only available in the BCV's, right? So it if we are planning to stay dvc, our only choice for studio rooms is in the BCV wing, is that how it works there?

Thanks again for replies, guys, appreciate it! And thanks for the good wishes for a great trip - Hoping to choose the right place for a magical Christmas vacation! :goodvibes

Also wondering a couple other things. Don't all the BCV rooms, including studios, have balconies? I know all the ones at BC do not have full balconies.

Are there really only two elevators in the BCV building? I was looking at a map of the place and looks like there are only two for all of the 282 room there. And it sure looks like a long walk to the bus from those rooms.

And, we are late to bed / late risers - no rope drop for us, lol! So how are the rooms at either place for brightness? Are either of them very bright early in the morning making it more difficult to sleep in very well? I know some places we've been have more room darkening curtains than others and too bright of rooms too early can make getting that needed sleep a bit more difficult!

Thanks again! :)

Minniekins said:
Also wondering a couple other things. Don't all the BCV rooms, including studios, have balconies? I know all the ones at BC do not have full balconies.

Are there really only two elevators in the BCV building? I was looking at a map of the place and looks like there are only two for all of the 282 room there. And it sure looks like a long walk to the bus from those rooms.

And, we are late to bed / late risers - no rope drop for us, lol! So how are the rooms at either place for brightness? Are either of them very bright early in the morning making it more difficult to sleep in very well? I know some places we've been have more room darkening curtains than others and too bright of rooms too early can make getting that needed sleep a bit more difficult!

Yes only 2 elevators. We've had a 2 bedroom all the way down on the end and didnt think the walk was bad. The resort is small by Disney standards.

We don't get up early either and the curtains make the room plenty dark. The noise level from people in the halls may bother you. I find OKW to be quieter because there are no hallways.

Yes, all the studios have balconies. The BCV's are fairly small, so there doesn't seem to be a long walk to an elevator. There are some well-place exit doors there, too, which will bring you out close to the walking paths.

I think the bus stop is closer to the villas than it is to the main resort. Here is a map. You will see that the bus stop is on the other side of the waterway. There is a sidewalk between that waterway and the parking lot that will take you right to the bus stop.

scan0001.jpg

You can find out a lot of information on the Beach and Yacht Club thread. :)

And here is a picture of the BCV's overlooking the quiet pool. If you look at the combination of balconies and windows, the rooms without a balcony are the master bedrooms of the 1 br villa. The studios and the living room have balconies.

IMG_6280_zps1b48a3eb.jpg

The woods side gets morning sun. I've only had the woods side. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter