OKW or AKV- same price per point...help decide

Polyluvr

DIS Veteran
Hi all! :) Just got off the phone with a guide. Trying to decide- 160 pts @ OKW or AKV both till 2057. OKW @ 90 pp or AKV @ 112 pp. Someone please help me think of why I wouldn't just pick OKW- w no closing costs- over AKV. We don't travel over holidays or busy seasons; so I was just wondering why anyone would pick 1 over the other? Thanks in advance!

We are having the same dilemma. We are leaning toward AKV only because the rooms look nicer. Maybe once the OKW rooms are renovated it will sway the decision. We are also making the argument that we usually don't make vacation plans over 7 months out so what does it matter?? Sorry I am no help!! I am just as confused as you! :confused3

If you pick AKV you can get a cruise :thumbsup2

New Member Purchase

Animal Kingdom Villas***

$112 base price less $10 promotional discount; 100 points
$112 base price less $10 promotional discount; 160-199 points
$112 base price less $15 promotional discount; 200+ points

Special Offer 1: Free Disney Dream voyage with purchase of 160+ points; buyer must pay full $112 base price in order to be eligible for free cruise.

Special Offer 2: With a referral from a current DVC member, prospecitve owners will receive a $25 gift card for completing a sales presentation via telephone. Unspecified incentive pricing will be offered during the phone tour.

Special Offer 3: With the "Magical Beginnings" program, save an extra $5 per point by selling-back first year's points to DVC

Couple of "basic fundamentals" kinds of suggestions:
  1. If you don't (and especially if you CAN'T) make vacation plans more than seven months out, it DOES NOT MATTER where you own except for annual dues.
  2. The alternative to either OKW at 90 or AKV at 112 is RESALE for WAY LESS. You should at least look at resale - you'll save thousands of dollars.
And in the spirit of full disclosure, I DO NOT sell timeshares and I've bought both resale and direct from Disney.

The other comment I have is that each of the DVC resorts has its own charm and each appeals to some people more than others.

For our family, we have had no problems booking inside 7 months, but we keep coming back to OKW because we love the atmosphere and the spacious villas. Other options may be better for other families -- that's why there are so many different themes and styles.

Same here as to planning less than 7 mos out- lol. We booked everything last month for a end of May. beginning of June vaca! The points of OKW can always be used to book @ AKV etc. I'm leaning towards OKW. Thanks for the reply!;)

It seems to me like the maintenance fees at AKV are pretty high considering it is a new resort. OKW maintenance fees are still pretty low considering how old the resort is.

Just put in a contract for 77$ pp for 50 points at OKW with 2057 use year and 100 points available i would look resale first much cheaper.

I'll echo the previous comments about resale. If you can wait for three months for the resale to go through, it will save you a lot of money at either of those properties. We just closed on a resale contract at AKV for 180 points (including 152 banked from last year), at $84/point with the seller paying the closing costs.

Why the heck wouldn't you go re-sale??? I say save yourself $4000 and buy OKW at $65/pt.

We too bought both thru dvc and resale. Resale is the way to go if you are looking for more bang for your buck and save some money. When we were at dvc tour in Feb. they offered us 160 points at SSR for 97.00 per point (112.00 - 15.00 incentive) we decided to go with 160 BLT and when we got home looked into resale. I was shocked that I easily found 160 point (Aug UY same as we currently have) at SSR with all 2009 points banked for 69.00 a point! We saved 4100.00 including closing cost that we paid.

We signed contract and sent deposit 3/1 ROFR was waived 3/23 signed and sent closing papers back this weekend and got an e-mail from closing agent that the sellers have also said their closing papers have been signed and are in the mail. She thinks we should close next week!

It takes a little longer to get points in your account but it is well worth the wait! BLT on the other hand is not very good on the resale market with dvc incentives it is not worth going resale right now.

I started a thread about our GREAT experience with resale.

We also never plan more than 7 months out So I looked for a resale at SSR. I like OKW but extended resales there seemed to be way more money than SSR resales and the extended OKW is only 3 years longer.

We got 100 Points at SSR for 69.00 and the closing cost was under 400.00

There were 64 points for 2009 and the full 100 coming Oct 2010.

The BEST part of our story was it took just over FIVE weeks to close. I made the offer on Feb 18th and I just made our first reservation Mar 27th.

We also never plan more than 7 months out So I looked for a resale at SSR. I like OKW but extended resales there seemed to be way more money than SSR resales and the extended OKW is only 3 years longer.

The BEST part of our story was it took just over FIVE weeks to close. I made the offer on Feb 18th and I just made our first reservation Mar 27th.

Can I ask the date you closed? My timeline is similar to yours - offer made on 2/21 and closed in a little under 5 weeks. I am anxiously awaiting our membership showing up in the DVC system!

To the OP, do you like one resort more than the other? Also, I would look closely at resale for either resort. We chose OKW for multiple reasons. Resale saved us $3000 over the current $90 per point. I would rather have home resort there than at AKV but that is just me. Everyone has different taste and preferences. The rooms and pool at AKV look wonderful and one day I'd like to stay there, but I prefer the more central location of OKW. Lots of people love AKV, though, and personally I would not buy OKW because it is less expensive if AKV is where I always want to stay (unless we never booked more than 7 months out).

Good luck!

Actually it was just UNDER five weeks to close. Our closing date was March 23rd. It was on march 27th i got an email to sign up for my online DVC. I knew then we must be in the system. I called and sure enough we were in and I made a reservation.

Exact same reason we put an offer in on a resale SSR contract. It's been 16 days and we are still waiting for the verdict. We can't plan our vacations more than 7 mo in advance and have stayed at OKW twice and love it. We figure that most times we should still be able to get into SSR or OKW at a shorter notice than the other resorts. Also the dues at SSR are lower and we feel with the layout of the property, their dues have a greater chance of staying lower than at AK. Those differences in dues add up over time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter