OKW Lovers Thread. Part 2

go back to main page, forums, then global neighbours, its the top two uk trip planing and community board.

Many moneysaving gods on there !!!

Cheryl

we are leaving in 21 days to stay at OKW in a 1BD. We traded RCI for DVC and we will be there for 7 nights.
My questions
1. Will they leave coffee packets in the room to make coffee in the morning or should I add that to my garden grocer list?
2. Will there be laundry detergent?
3. Is there a jug type container to make iced-tea from a mix?

As we get closer it's the details that I am trying to iron out. We are very excited about our stay. It will be our first family trip with our 2 year old and almost 4 year old.
thanks!
JC

We will be there in just a short while, too! :cheer2:
We will be in a studio, and I'm wondering about laundry facilities, since the buildings are so spread out?
Thanks for your advice!

we are leaving in 21 days to stay at OKW in a 1BD. We traded RCI for DVC and we will be there for 7 nights.
My questions
1. Will they leave coffee packets in the room to make coffee in the morning or should I add that to my garden grocer list?
2. Will there be laundry detergent?
3. Is there a jug type container to make iced-tea from a mix?

As we get closer it's the details that I am trying to iron out. We are very excited about our stay. It will be our first family trip with our 2 year old and almost 4 year old.
thanks!
JC

There will be one starter packet of coffee, but you should take enough coffee and "Mr. Coffee" type basket filters for your stay. The one packet should be replaced on Trash and Towel and full housekeeping days.

There will be a one load box of Tide or All, replenished on housekeeping days. You will need to provide any additional laundry detergent. I generally get a small box of dry detergent at a Dollar Tree, it doesn't take much space in luggage.

There is usually a plastic pitcher that can be used for instant mixes. If there is not something suitable in your room, a call to housekeeping should provide it.

We will be there in just a short while, too! :cheer2:
We will be in a studio, and I'm wondering about laundry facilities, since the buildings are so spread out?
Thanks for your advice!

There are 4 laundry rooms for those in studios. One by each pool. Each laundry room has two washers and four dryers. They are free to use, just push in the coin slot without any coins. You will need to provide detergent, or purchase it from vending machines in the laundry rooms.

go back to main page, forums, then global neighbours, its the top two uk trip planing and community board.

Many moneysaving gods on there !!!

Cheryl

Cheryl, just wanted to say hello from another Ayrshire Dibber; I'm in Coylton, just outside Ayr! It's a small world, as they say!
:)

Hi all. I'm hoping you OKW pros can help me out. We just exchanged an RCI week for OKW from Feb 22 through 29, 2014. Although we've been to WDW 3 times prior, this will be our first stay onsite so we are very excited! We are renting a 2 br unit.

It will be myself, my husband, our 13 yo dd, 11 yo ds and my mother who is in her 70s. She is fairly active, but does have some on and off issues with her feet, so we are trying to keep excess walking to a minimum. We may even rent an ECV for her, so if anyone has information to share on that, please do.

First off, having never stayed onsite, any information about things to do at OKW in particular would be wonderful. We want to definitely spend some time enjoying the resort. My mother is not sure how much she will join us in the parks, so she for sure will be at the resort a lot.

Secondly, I'm looking for recc's for what area we should try to get I think I would like a top floor unit...thinking they will be most quiet and have nice views. If we do this, though, I think we need an elevator building due to my mom. Also, as my kids love to swim I'd like to be fairly close to the main pool, yet also want to be in a quiet area. We will have a car, so may be driving to the parks, except for MK which seems lime it would be better to take the bus, therefore something near a bus stop is not vital.

I think that's all for now. Sorry for this being so long, but it is likely that this will be our last trip to WDW (honestly, how I got dh here so many times is a miracle) and my mom has not been for many many years (in fact has never been to AK or HS at all so) so I want to make this trip as perfect as possible! Thanks for any feedback/information.

Hi all. I'm hoping you OKW pros can help me out. We just exchanged an RCI week for OKW from Feb 22 through 29, 2014. Although we've been to WDW 3 times prior, this will be our first stay onsite so we are very excited! We are renting a 2 br unit.

It will be myself, my husband, our 13 yo dd, 11 yo ds and my mother who is in her 70s. She is fairly active, but does have some on and off issues with her feet, so we are trying to keep excess walking to a minimum. We may even rent an ECV for her, so if anyone has information to share on that, please do.

First off, having never stayed onsite, any information about things to do at OKW in particular would be wonderful. We want to definitely spend some time enjoying the resort. My mother is not sure how much she will join us in the parks, so she for sure will be at the resort a lot.

Secondly, I'm looking for recc's for what area we should try to get I think I would like a top floor unit...thinking they will be most quiet and have nice views. If we do this, though, I think we need an elevator building due to my mom. Also, as my kids love to swim I'd like to be fairly close to the main pool, yet also want to be in a quiet area. We will have a car, so may be driving to the parks, except for MK which seems lime it would be better to take the bus, therefore something near a bus stop is not vital.

I think that's all for now. Sorry for this being so long, but it is likely that this will be our last trip to WDW (honestly, how I got dh here so many times is a miracle) and my mom has not been for many many years (in fact has never been to AK or HS at all so) so I want to make this trip as perfect as possible! Thanks for any feedback/information.

I'm going to try to answer most of your questions.

For things to do at OKW...Just the usual resort type things like pools (there are 4), shuffle board, tennis, activity room, movie rental, golf etc. There is also a walking garden tour of the landscaping, and bikes, surreys, boats, pontoons and water sprites to rent. You can fish too, and there is water transportation to Downtown Disney from the marina. Lots of activities for the kids at the activity center as well.

If your mother needs an ECV, go to the disabilities board here on the DIS and you will find lots of current rental places that will actually deliver the ECV to the resort and you pick it up when you check in. Be aware though that an elevator building is NOT guaranteed, and you will need either a first floor unit or an elevator building to bring your unit in the room for charging etc. We have rented ECV's several times, and they are very convenient if you need one. They are also very easy to get on and off the buses, since all buses have lifts or ramps for driving them onto the bus. If she has trouble walking in the parks, the ECV will be a very necessary tool for her to enjoy the trip. ALL attractions at WDW are also very accommodating to ECV riders. I had 2 trips about 10 years ago where I needed one, and it was a Godsend to have.

For quiet areas, I prefer either Miller's Road or the canal buildings. If you want a canal building, you request just that. Miller's Road is not only a nice quiet area, but also close to a neighborhood pool and an easy walk to the main pool. None of the elevator buildings are in what I would call a quiet area, since they are all near the entrance of the resort.

Do NOT drive to the parks. That totally defeats the purpose of staying on site. It will take you longer to get in from the parking lots and add a great deal of unnecessary walking. The only park we ever drive to from OKW is Animal Kingdom, and that's because the bus to there also stops at Blizzard Beach making the trip long by bus. Besides...if you are taking an ECV into the parks, it is super easy to take in on the bus, but almost impossible if you drive.

Hi all. I'm hoping you OKW pros can help me out. We just exchanged an RCI week for OKW from Feb 22 through 29, 2014. Although we've been to WDW 3 times prior, this will be our first stay onsite so we are very excited! We are renting a 2 br unit. ....

There should be a number for DVC Member Services on your reservation form. Call them and ask that first floor be added to your reservation so your mother won't have to take the stairs and you will be able to charge the ECV in the room. There are a lot more first floor villas than elevators (only three buildings have them).

Cheryl, just wanted to say hello from another Ayrshire Dibber; I'm in Coylton, just outside Ayr! It's a small world, as they say!
:)

Wow small world , I am in Troon . U going to Okw ?

We are staying at OKW in a one bedroom at the end of the month. I have a couple questions and they might already be answered on here I tried to read the thread but kept getting distracted

Does the room have a blender?

I saw people talking about how bad the fitness room is. What is there? I plan to use it and wanted to know what to expect ( a picture would be great)

What grocery store do you think is most convienent?

Is there any way to see the community center / pool activity schedule before check in? We are planning to be pretty low key and won't be visiting the disney parks this time.

Thanks

Hi,

Yes there is a blender in the one bedroom. My husband used it to make an iced coffee!!

You will love OKW!!

It's beautiful

We are staying at OKW in a one bedroom at the end of the month. I have a couple questions and they might already be answered on here I tried to read the thread but kept getting distracted

Does the room have a blender?

I saw people talking about how bad the fitness room is. What is there? I plan to use it and wanted to know what to expect ( a picture would be great)

What grocery store do you think is most convienent?

Is there any way to see the community center / pool activity schedule before check in? We are planning to be pretty low key and won't be visiting the disney parks this time.

Thanks

Hello! Although I've never stayed at OKW, we've stayed at POR on prior trips which is right down the road. The closest grocery store that we've found is the Walmart right off of Route 535. The address is actually 3250 Vineland Road, Kissimme. It's only 10 minutes from the resort.

If your travel a little bit farther down 535, there will be a Publix on your left.

That's the one that we've found most convenient and has everything that we need for a stay.

Hope this helps!

Hello! Although I've never stayed at OKW, we've stayed at POR on prior trips which is right down the road. The closest grocery store that we've found is the Walmart right off of Route 535. The address is actually 3250 Vineland Road, Kissimme. It's only 10 minutes from the resort.

If your travel a little bit farther down 535, there will be a Publix on your left.

That's the one that we've found most convenient and has everything that we need for a stay.

Hope this helps!

That Publix is our usual shopping spot when we stay at OKW too, but we do find the one over on 192 to be a better store. It's a bit farther from OKW though. There is also a decent Target on 192 as well as the Publix.

We use the Regency Village Publix over near the Premium Outlet Mall. I-Drive near Vineland.

Hello OKW lovers. We are arriving next Monday for 6 nights. Haven't stayed here since 07 on rented points. Made the decision to purchase DVC easier for my DW. I would like to rent a boat to cruise with the family and can't find a price list for Hanks. Anyone know where to look? As a sidebar, put in a request for canal view as per Dianes recommendation. It puts us close to a quiet pool as well. We are planning on BBQing a night or two.

Rob

Hello OKW lovers. We are arriving next Monday for 6 nights. Haven't stayed here since 07 on rented points. Made the decision to purchase DVC easier for my DW. I would like to rent a boat to cruise with the family and can't find a price list for Hanks. Anyone know where to look? As a sidebar, put in a request for canal view as per Dianes recommendation. It puts us close to a quiet pool as well. We are planning on BBQing a night or two.

Rob

Hope you get the canal view! Our favorite buildings are 45 and 46, but 55 and 56 are good too.:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter