OKW Lovers Thread. Part 2

We have booked a 2-bedroom villa and a studio in the HH category. Any thoughts on favorite buildings? We are a group of 7 adults and one teen, so we won't spend a ton of time at the pool. I know it's the busiest part of the resort, but is there a quieter building than others? Thanks!

For near HH units, your quieter units will be across the bridge from the main pool, buildings 23 to 26. If you're driving, these buildings will also have better parking.

While MOST studios are indeed at the ends of the buildings, there are a handful of studios in the middle of their respective buildings, in the crossbar of the two or three U-shaped buildings. Some of these studios have no front windows, with a mirror in that area instead, other than that, they are the same.
Hi Chuck!

So, without doing my proper homework, I booked my family and my brother's family in 2 studios, instead of a 2 bdr, thinking we could be pretty close to each other and hang out in the evenings while my brother's 5 year old twins sleep. But, in reading the Forums, it sounds like most studios are at the ends of the building. We booked DVC, HH area. It looks like building 14 is one of the buildings noted to have 2 studios side by side. Are these ones without front windows? Are the studios side by side in the 4 U shaped building and which buildings are without front windows? I am now sort of sad I did not book the 2 bdrm. Building 35 looks like it's in a decent area. I've only ever stayed at Old Key West once and it was in the HH area, beside the Hospitality House, but it was only for 1 night and I don't remember much about it. What do you recommend as far as room requests? Also, my brother's son is special needs and we wanted to be close to help them out when getting ready in the mornings. Thanks so much for any advice!!

In my experience, if you do get the two studios that are next door to each other, the studio on the crossbar will not have front windows, the studio in the upright (arm) part of the "u" will have windows. Definitely request to be near each other.

Hi Chuck!

So, without doing my proper homework, I booked my family and my brother's family in 2 studios, instead of a 2 bdr, thinking we could be pretty close to each other and hang out in the evenings while my brother's 5 year old twins sleep. But, in reading the Forums, it sounds like most studios are at the ends of the building. We booked DVC, HH area. It looks like building 14 is one of the buildings noted to have 2 studios side by side. Are these ones without front windows? Are the studios side by side in the 4 U shaped building and which buildings are without front windows? I am now sort of sad I did not book the 2 bdrm. Building 35 looks like it's in a decent area. I've only ever stayed at Old Key West once and it was in the HH area, beside the Hospitality House, but it was only for 1 night and I don't remember much about it. What do you recommend as far as room requests? Also, my brother's son is special needs and we wanted to be close to help them out when getting ready in the mornings. Thanks so much for any advice!!
Your biggest problem is getting two studios in the same building on the same floor close to each other. The studio that is closest to your studio may be part of a lockoff two bedroom and not available as a studio. Or you might get two studios in the same building but on opposite ends of the building and on different floors. Bldg 35 is not in the HH area and is in the Turtle Pond area. And the buildings with two studios close to each other are really limited. Mostly they are located at the ends of the buildings.

There used to be a thread on the type of buildings at OKW and it was in the sticky threads at the top of the page, but I can't find it any more. It listed every building with the configuration of the building, whether it was A, B, C, D, E, etc. All the A buildings were identical in layout. Same with B.

There used to be a thread on the type of buildings at OKW and it was in the sticky threads at the top of the page, but I can't find it any more. It listed every building with the configuration of the building, whether it was A, B, C, D, E, etc. All the A buildings were identical in layout. Same with B.

I think this is what you are referring to. I have kept it all these years:

There are seven different configurations. I have assigned a letter designation to each type described below (these are my own observations and are NOT official.) All room rooms are numbered from right to left as you look at the building from the parking area. Each floor will be numbered by building number, floor and room. The studio on the lower right first floor of building 16 is #1610. The 1BR next door is #1611.

GV's are found in Buildings 15,16,19,22,25,29,43,48,49,51,53 and 63.
Buildings 62, 63 and 64 all have elevators but no other Buildings are accessible above the ground floor.
As of June 1, 2007 - all WDW resorts are smoke-free with no smoking allowed in rooms, balconies, and patios as well all public areas. There will be designated smoking areas available outdoors.

All of the following descriptions are listed from right to left, as you face the building from the parking area.

Type A buildings are all 3 stories.
1st Floor- S,1,2,2,2,1,S
2nd Floor- S,1,2,2,2,1,S
3rd Floor- 2,2,2
Buildings 13,20,21,23,26,27,28,32,33,34,36,37,39,41,42,45,46 ,47,50,52,54,56 and 62 are all Type A.

Type B buildings are all 2 stories.
1st Floor- S,1,2,1,S
2nd Floor- S,1,2,1,S
Buildings 11,17,24,30,31,40,44 and 55 are all Type B.

Type C buildings are all 3 stories.
1st Floor- S,1,2,2,1,S
2nd Floor- S,1,GV,GV,1,S (#6322 is a HCA GV)
3rd Floor- GV, GV (upper floors)
Buildings 15,16 19,22,25,29,43,49,51,53 and 63 are all Type C.

Type D buildings are all 3 stories.
1st Floor- 2,1,S,S,1,1,S,S,1,2
2nd Floor- 2,1,S,S,1 1 S,S,1,2
3rd Floor- 1,S,S,1 1 S,S,1
Buildings 14,18,35 and 38 are all Type D.

Type E- #48 is a 3 story building.
1st Floor- S,1,2,2,2,GV (#4815 is a HCA GV)
2nd Floor- S,1,GV,GV,GV,GV(upper Floor)
3rd Floor- GV,GV,GV (upper floor of all)

Type E- #49 is a 3 story building.
1st Floor- S,1,2,2,2,1,S
2nd Floor- S,1,GV,GV,GV,1,S
3rd Floor- GV,GV,GV (upper floor of all)

Building 48 and 49 are the only Type E buildings and each has a variant configuration.

TypeF is a 3 story building.
1st Floor- S,1,2,2,1,S,1,S
2nd Floor- S,1,2,2,1,S,1,S
3rd Floor- S,1,2,2
Building 64 is the only Type F.

TypeG is a 2 story building.
1st Floor- S,1,2,2,2
2nd Floor- S,1,2,2,2
Building 12 is the only Type G.

Bless you, BobNed. That is exactly what I was looking for.

So, OP, Bldg 14 is the only building with studios side by side in the HH area.

Bless you, BobNed. That is exactly what I was looking for.

So, OP, Bldg 14 is the only building with studios side by side in the HH area.

Wow, thank you so much for all of the detail! It is so helpful! So, what do you think about requesting the corner studios of buildings 24 and 25, ground floor? Not sure how close they are, but it looks like they kind of face each other. Isn't building 14 the studios that don't have front windows? Not wanting one of those for sure!

Well, 24 and 25 are not HA modified buildings, so that would help eliminate getting a handicap modified studio. But remember, that location/building requests are just requests and are not guaranteed, near HH is a booking category and should, unless there is a sudden problem with a room, be honored. It really is going to depend upon what room configurations are needed by other guests on your check-in day. All OKW studios and One Bedrooms are connected to make 2 bedroom lockoffs, so it would depend upon the logistics of what others have booked. It isn't like a cruise where every room loads and unloads at the same time. But generally my location requests at OKW are met about 85% of the time. You may be stacked one studio on top of the other, or you may be buildings next door, of you may be on the same floor in the same building.

Well, 24 and 25 are not HA modified buildings, so that would help eliminate getting a handicap modified studio. But remember, that location/building requests are just requests and are not guaranteed, near HH is a booking category and should, unless there is a sudden problem with a room, be honored. It really is going to depend upon what room configurations are needed by other guests on your check-in day. All OKW studios and One Bedrooms are connected to make 2 bedroom lockoffs, so it would depend upon the logistics of what others have booked. It isn't like a cruise where every room loads and unloads at the same time. But generally my location requests at OKW are met about 85% of the time. You may be stacked one studio on top of the other, or you may be buildings next door, of you may be on the same floor in the same building.
Thanks Chuck! I'm not terribly worried about the rooms as long we are reasonably close. I have learned a lot about the resort, thanks to you guys! I really appreciate the advice! :)

Thanks Chuck! I'm not terribly worried about the rooms as long we are reasonably close. I have learned a lot about the resort, thanks to you guys! I really appreciate the advice! :)
And you might have one studio in 11-14 and the other 23-26.

And you might have one studio in 11-14 and the other 23-26.
It's no biggie, really! As long as the family is together at Disney, celebrating DS's graduation, that is all that matters! BTW, we just found out last night that he has been accepted to the University of Central Florida!! Can't get much closer to the mouse than that!!! Thanks again for your help!! :)

I'm a little worried after reading the above that some of the studios don't have windows?! Can this be right?! Do they all have a balcony?

Thank you :-)

I'm a little worried after reading the above that some of the studios don't have windows?! Can this be right?! Do they all have a balcony?
All the studios do have a window. Also, those on the 2nd and 3rd floors have a balcony.

Thank you :-)
Usually the studio has a large window by the entrance door and then the patio door (so two areas to look outside). But there are some studios in the U shaped bldgs like Bldg 18 where some of the studios are not at the end of the building (most are on the ends of all the buildings). These inner studios do not have the large window by the entrance door, just the patio door. If you look at post 1745, you can see some S surrounded by other units instead of being at the end.

Usually the studio has a large window by the entrance door and then the patio door (so two areas to look outside). But there are some studios in the U shaped bldgs like Bldg 18 where some of the studios are not at the end of the building (most are on the ends of all the buildings). These inner studios do not have the large window by the entrance door, just the patio door. If you look at post 1745, you can see some S surrounded by other units instead of being at the end.
Ah I see, thank you!

I apologize in advance if this has already been answered started going through the pages but wow theres a lot of posts here which is great. I was wondering what room request should I ask for or what would you recommend. First time staying. Have three kids 5 and under so we will have a double stroller and we are flying so no car. Would prefer to be close to a bus stop. one night is a studio near HH and then three nights in a studio thanks for your help

We arrived on Monday night to find that our verbal promise of a good room had not been followed through - caused, possibly, by the fact we left it until our waitlist requests had date-expired - and we were in building 44, with the back of the unit facing the Turtle Pond bus stop, and being literally on the corner of the roundabout. To say it was unbearably noisy would be the understatement of the year! Also the refreshments area at Turtle Pond is only open 10am - 5pm, so it's impossible to get a drink refill most of the time (assuming like us you're out most of the day). I made a fuss at check-in and they found they could move us - but not until Wednesday so we had 2 nights at 44.

On Wednesday we packed what little we'd unpacked, loaded the car with the scooter and the luggage and headed back to check in to drop off the bags for them to keep until the new room was allocated and to take the fridge stuff, and we then headed to Epcot for the day. All we knew at that point was that we were going to be in building 64.

When we got back we went sent to 6424, which is on the second floor and our balcony (and all windows) face the fountain in the pool next to the golf course, with trees in the background. The only significant traffic noise we now get is golf carts and strimmers! Sadly, we've got a load of ponies upstairs and early morning and just before bed they gallop up and down the living room. I haven't reported it as it doesn't go on too long, thankfully.

The only weird thing is that building 64 doesn't have its own car park. You have to park either in front of 62 or go past 64 and park in 15!

I can't get over the size of the bedroom though: it's almost bigger than the whole studio at GFV! We find ourselves walking round in circles, though, as it's very confusing working out the layout as everything inter-connects. If I want to go to the bedroom from the living room, it would actually be quicker to keep both balcony doors open and go that way!

Oh, and we're very disappointed with Goods to Go. There's less choice than we were led to believe, and it means we have to eat off site if I don't want to cook (which I don't).

Just had my OKW contract pass ROFR. Rented points for years, can't even put in words how exicted DW and I are. Next trip to the suitcase is gonna be a fun one

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter