OKW location experts...I need your help.

E

eeyoresmom

We have a reservation at OKW in a 2 bedroom in April. Traveling with 5 teens ages 12-18. I wanted a "near HH" room but it isn't available. The operator made a note of "near Miller's Rd". What do you guys think of this request? Here's my (tiny) dilema...Are the locations farther out prettier, more relaxing? Is Miller's RD area high traffic and not so pretty views etc??? We do have a car, but I want the teens to be able to come and go, so we don't have to all be on the same schedule. TIA

We have a reservation at OKW in a 2 bedroom in April. Traveling with 5 teens ages 12-18. I wanted a "near HH" room but it isn't available. The operator made a note of "near Miller's Rd". What do you guys think of this request? Here's my (tiny) dilema...Are the locations farther out prettier, more relaxing? Is Miller's RD area high traffic and not so pretty views etc??? We do have a car, but I want the teens to be able to come and go, so we don't have to all be on the same schedule. TIA

Miller's Road views are okay, but if you get down on the far end (22) you could have a fair amount of noise from the main road that leads into the area off the highway. LOTS of bus traffic and car traffic on that road, since it is a main road for access to the parks from several resorts.

I never quite understand why people think they MUST be at HH to have access to anything at OKW. Frankly, many of the HH area villas have little or no views and fell isolated. The good ones are on the Peninsular road look, and they are only about half the HH rooms available. Just remember that ANY bus headed to ANYWHERE will stop at HH before it exits the resort, and thus can be used as transit to that area. Also, even the farthest away building is still easily walkable to HH.

I do have preferences, and given your parameters, I'd say request either buildings 16, 18, 20 on Miller's.

My favorite buildings at OKW are 45, 46 (these are the cream of the crop), 55, 15, 21, and 16. Our least favorite buildings so far have been 29, 64, 38, 40, and 14. As you can see, they are spread out throughout the resort. For walking, buildings 45 and 46 are really no farther from HH than the Miller's Road buildings.

Also remember that there are 5 bus stops and 4 pools. Each pool has a hot tub and play area, but only the main pool at HH has the sauna and slide.

Here's the map.
OKWMap-January2008.jpg

Thank you. OK, so every bus leaving the resort will stop at HH on the way out. What about getting back to the room? If it's very easy to get to/from HH, I think I'd actually prefer to be further out. In fact...how far is the closest OKW neighborhood to the main area at SSR? We love the pool there, so that could be a plus.

We just requested our favourite building #26 for our upcoming 2bdrm stay in August. The views are very pretty (water with ducks, golf view), it's very quiet, and it's just steps to the bus stop or a one-two minute walk to the Hospitality House. It's the first stop coming back from the parks at night, and during the day we usually just walked over the the Hospitality House bus stop to catch the last stop before it left the resort. Our teens loved this spot as they spent a lot of time at Community Hall and the pool with their new-made friends. Of course Member services couldn't guarantee us this building, but it's requested so we have a better chance, and I will wait on arrival day until after 4pm if I have to so we can stay there again.

Also, with 5 teens in a 2 bedroom, I will assume that there will be some sleeping in the living room. Miller's Road, except for bldg 62, 63 & 64 all have only one entrance to the master bathroom...through the master bedroom. For more privacy Bldgs 30 and above (Turtle Pond Road and South Point area) will have two master bath entrances, one through the master bedroom and one through the laundry room.

This was a design change during OKW construction.

We were in building 27 and loved it. I was worried too about my older kids walking around. However the bus stop was right outside our building and it was the first one. So if we saw the bus go by in the opposite direction, meaning it had already picked up at our stop and another, we would have time to walk to the Hospitality house and get on. Then it left for the park from there. Easy walk to the main pool which we went to every time. We loved our golf course view out back. Thought it was great once we were in our room it was very quiet.

My favorite building is 15, but I remember the entrance to the bathroom issue there, and even if you think it's a minor issue (as we did at check-in), it can get really wearing as the week goes on. But for the best compromise of closeness to HH, but quiet and great view, we loved building 15.

...... In fact...how far is the closest OKW neighborhood to the main area at SSR? We love the pool there, so that could be a plus.

Building 55 is closest to the walking pathway that goes to SSR (and DD West Side).

Of course 55 is a fair distance to the HH area. You can catch the bus there (South Point) to get to the HH.

Coming back from HH you could either walk, or walk to the Peninsular bus stop and catch a bus there to get to South Point.

Hope this helps

We are just back from building 63, and although it was our only OKW trip so far, we LOVED the location. Walk to HH, island green golf course view. We had an amazing time!

We're not crazy about the HH category. Those rooms often do not have adequate parking because so many people drive up to the main area and take up those spots. Also, those units don't have the extra door from the bathroom through the laundry room. Anyone using the bathroom in the one br unit has to walk through the bedroom.

We prefer Turtle Pond or the water view rooms at South Point. Miller's Road is one of my least favorite locations because it is so close to Bonnet Creek Road and can be a bit noisy. I also don't like to see the traffic on BCR and some areas do see that.

Op here... this is my dilema. We spend A LOT of time at the resort so it's important. I really don't want to be in area that isn't substantially closer to HH if the views,traffic etc. are cons. Do you think I should request a specific building (s), at the beginning of Penninsular Rd?

Op here... this is my dilema. We spend A LOT of time at the resort so it's important. I really don't want to be in area that isn't substantially closer to HH if the views,traffic etc. are cons. Do you think I should request a specific building (s), at the beginning of Penninsular Rd?

I wouldn't request a specific building, just a general area. If, for some reason, that building isn't available (down for rehab, or just full) how will the front desk know why you found that building desirable?

Again, given you are traveling with 5 teens, I would think the second bathroom entrance would be desirable over being near to HH. I would request the Turtle Pond area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter