OKW Extended Family Trip - Almost everyone is Coming!

danicaw

DIS Veteran
We sent out the offical invitation letter to our parents and hubbys sisters family last week. I have gotten response from everyone already. All three sets of parents are coming and Sis-in-law is unsure.
We are planning on 5 nights at OKW in Jan 2004 with our new baby (who will be 7 months old at that time - due in June).
My dad and stepmom (who arent big Disney fans) have even requested a vacation planning video from WDW on taking kids to WDw. I am in shock!
- Its the first Grandbaby on my side of the family, did you guess?

So, once we book the rooms at OKW, whats next. I mean, I know what hubby and I would do if it were just us, but 7 plus and infant, my brian is moving a bit slow.
I need to get any PS ressies for any char meals and or shows? Anything to know about making ressies for large groups? Anything to ask when making ressies for multiple rooms at OKW?

I am sooo excited! I hope I am not rambling. Thanks guys!

We have tried to make PS reservations for groups of about 8 or 9 before and they would not do reservations for such a large group.

Their suggestion was to just get to the restaurant early and be seated that way.

I just made reservations for 14 at BCV this October. We will be in three rooms. They noted on the reservation to try and have the rooms as close as possible together.

hi: we did a group of 14 in 2000. they managed to get us all on the same floor at bwv, but the rooms were scattered. they did allow us to make ps at several places (chef mickey's, rfc,coral reef). other than that we did split up into a group of 9 and a group of 5 for the most part. it's a lot of fun to have that many people-as long as you don't get stuck playing tour guide! i got each of them a birnbaum book for christmas the year before.

I love the idea of getting them WDW guide books for a present.

Thanks you guys. I think this will be a great trip. Now just to wait until next year. Although come June (or the babys arrival) I think I will be plenty busy for the time to pass quickly.

I've made PSs for our group of 10 adults and 3 children at Fulton's, Donald's Breakfast, Cape May, Japan and Olivia's. I'm planning for 11/03 for similar PSs for 10 adults and 5 DGDs.

Have you considered renting the boat for the Illuminations show at Epcot? I know it has to be rented way in advance, but it would be spectacular!

You might want to discuss how the trip will run. With the new baby I don't think you all want to travel together in a pack all the time. Even the closest of families get on each other's nerves that way. ;) Will you have every meal together, one a day, a few special meals? Who is picking up the tab? Dutch treat? Either pick your favorite restaurants or poll the group and arrange for at least one "special" night where you will make reservations for the group. Same thing if you have any interest in doing Hoop or the Luau or any character meal.

It sounds like a very special time. It's so nice that everyone is enthusiastic about coming....that darling baby will be a big draw.

Thanks for all the help and advice.
We have decided to have one group meal a day. It might be back at OKW some days, and it will be optional. We are encouraging people to do there own thing each day. We will let them know our plans each day, and then see them when we see them. We would love to do a Illuminations Cruise, but I don't know if there is an age limit. Can infants go?
Heres hoping we all get along and have a great time.

We ate at the Yacht Club Galley last week, I think you may be able to get a PS there for a large group.

Do your best to let Olivia's know in advance if it is a large group. The nature of DVC lends itself to large family get togethers, sometimes several large groups come in to Olivia's, and you know it isn't the biggest restaurant, so be prepared to be split up if necessary.

Isn't it great that your DVC membership lets you enjoy these family trips together? I love inviting someone along, and I especially love the expression on their face when they see the type of accommodations they're staying in.

I've never had problems getting PS's for 7 or 8 people. (Parties of 8 or more will have the gratuity automatically included.)

I believe that if you have group of 12 or more, you'll be directed to go through "Group Dining" for reservations. They require a credit card guarantee. ''

kdonnel, I don't know who you spoke to, but that's the nuttiest thing that I ever heard. I would definitely call dining again.

I know you'll have a lot of fun. We take our whole family every summer. There are always at least 10 of us, sometimes as many as 15. We have never had any trouble getting PS for this size group. They do add the tip in automatically and they usually tell us we may have to sit at several tables, but the tables have always been close together. At Chef Mickey's they have even managed to get us all at one table most of the time.

You'll have a great time. We do the same thing you're planning --everyone does their own thing during the day and we usually meet for dinner. We have booked the illuminations cruise a couple of times, and it is well worth it. There's no problem taking an infant -- we took a two-month-old. They did put a life jacket on the baby (as they do with all children), and at first she didn't like that very much, but it worked out great.

Two years ago our family of 14 had PS at O'Hana. It was wonderful!! We ha no problems and they had a large table for all of us. What a great time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter