OKW - Commodore House - 1998 - DVC History

WebmasterDoc

Administrator
Administrator
The Commodore House was the original DVC Sales Center, opening in October, 1991. It was a wonderful welcoming facility across from the Hospitality House and overlooking the pond next to the bridge at OKW. Guests could watch a quality movie presentation about DVC, enjoy refreshments and even a dish of ice cream after completing the tour. There was a large porch alongside the pond with rocking chairs to enjoy while sipping lemonade.

In 1998, it was demolished to complete the plans for the resort. At this time the DVC Sales Center was moved to BWV where it remained until sales began for SSR in 2003. The sales center has been at the SSR location ever since.

OKW "sold out" in fall, 1998 and then reopened sales when Buildings 62-64 were completed. OKW "sold out" again in October, 1999 - eight years after sales began.

The Commodore House occupied the current location for Building 62. Miller Road was re-routed during the construction of Buildings 62, 63 and 64. These buildings are the only ones at OKW with elevators and were part of the original plans for the resort - noted as the final construction phase for the resort. These photos show the expanse of the parking area which is now part of Miller Road. The road at that time curved where Building 63 is now located.

Building 16 (next to Commodore House and now Building 62) housed the original models for the resort. There was a lock-off 2BR and GV to showcase the DVC villas which were certainly a new concept for Disney back in 1991.

These photos sadly show the beginning of the demise of the Commodore House. :(
OKW Commodore House demolition - 1997.jpg
OKW Commodore House demolition-2 - 1997.jpg

Last edited:
We joined DVC back in 1993. This nice description of the Commodore House brings back some great memories--thanks!

I'm with Beaslyboo and Kirstenb1, your description of the baby days of DVC at OKW bring back a flood of wonderful memories at my favorite DVC resort too! Great posting, thank you!!

We signed our first contract at the Commodore House in November 1997. I think it actually was torn down in 1998. Unless they tore it down right after we signed.

OK - we'll go with 1998 then! I expect you might have noticed the heavy equipment while you were signing! :teeth: Thanks for the chronology update!

They used to park the antique yellow bus under the portico in the photos. That bus was used to transport guests to the sales center and return them to their resort after eating ice cream! (If I can locate a photo of the bus, I'll post it too.) More recently that bus was used as a prop near the DVC Kiosk at DHS on your way to TT/RRC.

We purchased in early June, 1993, which seems like yesterday - until you do the math. At that time the minimum purchase had been lowered to 190 points from the original 230 point minimum. For those purchasing at the lower level, there was a caveat that you might not be able to enjoy all aspects of the program - since with fewer than 230 points some of the non-DVC options might not be accessible without borrowing.

We purchased 230 and then caught a severe case of addon-itis which temporarily abated in October, again in February, 1994 and numerous times after that. The first several add-ons were thru DVC directly and eventually we discovered the resale market and accumulated several other contracts until the illness was in remission. Our original plan was to spend the winter months in a 1BR at OKW, augmented with a number of other timeshares (WI, GA, TN, IN).

We purchased HH pre-construction in spring 1995 as an add-on to the original OKW contract. The foundation for the Beach House had just been poured and the entire Longview island was a hard-hat zone, so you could only see the activity from across the harbour.

That plan has been modified numerous times since the mid-90's and winter at WDW is no longer necessary. At one time we had 42 timeshare weeks each year having purchased two quartershares (13 weeks each) across from the HH DVC resort at Shelter Cove along with the other timeshare weeks we had. We were able to divest of all of the other timeshares (selling several and giving away a few others) and then taking advantage of the 2008 real estate bubble burst were able to purchase a condo (also across from the HH DVC resort) and sell (or basically give away) the two quartershares - easily meeting our philosophy of "Buy High/Sell Low" since those were brilliantly purchased in 2005 and 2007.

We still have 3 of our DVC contracts and mostly use the points for family trips to WDW and we have the grandkids stay at the HH resort when they come to visit. That has worked really well since it is a 5 min walk from our condo over to the resort.

HH is now our residence and we are again in the market for a home there once the condo sells - hopefully soon. :)

We blame the entire thing on DVC! ... and wouldn't change a thing if we had to do it again (except maybe the "Buy High/Sell Low" thing). :teeth:

Love the "Buy High/Sell Low" theory of timeshares. I'm just in the process of buying a second non-DCV timeshare (we'll have two weeks there) and luckily didn't buy the first time we thought about it. Saved half the price both times.

...We purchased in early June, 1993, which seems like yesterday - until you do the math. At that time the minimum purchase had been lowered to 190 points from the original 230 point minimum...
Ditto
We purchased 200 in June of '93. DW and I feel that DVC is 2nd best purchase we have ever made, due to the memories & vacations that we would not of had but for DVC. We have added on twice since that original purchase and we still want more.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the history and the pictures. I'd heard of the Commodore House, but never knew where it was exactly. What I now know is that when we drove through OKW to "check it out" in 1997, we must have seen it. What was ironic was that we'd been offered a "manager's special" rate at OKW, which we weren't familiar with and so, turned it down. But when we were at WDW, we decided to "check it out" and see what we'd given up. We agreed we definitely didn't like it! Little did we know that within 5 years, it would become one of our favorite resorts to stay at.

I bought in 1998 and I don't remember it (Commodore House) or any construction or de-construction for that matter. All I remember was booking my first 1 bedroom and the excitement of knowing we would get to keep coming back! "Welcome Home" still to this day, thrills me!

we actually purchased 300 VWL lodge points in 2000...we have stayed there as a family exactly ONCE....we have stayed pretty much exclusively at OKW ver since and added a 60 point resale at OKW in 2007 so we can actually feel like OKW owners....we fell in love with OKW pretty much from the jump when we stayed there with family, but there were no OKW points available and we had not educated ourselves on resales at the time...but we bought VWL for just north of $70 a point, so it feels like a bargain today!!!.......Love the commodore house photos!!...I love to talk with original DVC people, when OKW was just DVC

Great stroll down memory lane! We first toured OKW (then DVC) in November 1991. The Hospitality House was under construction and we could not see it yet. All that existed was the Commodore House and buildings 11, 12 and 13 (I think), although the Millers Road buildings were in various stages of construction. Enjoyed the ice cream at the Commodore House. Bought in March 1992 -- ownership is almost half gone -- hard to believe !

mac_tlc

Bought in 1991 when the Commodore House was the only thing you could see! First purchase was the original 230 points required. Added on 70 more in 1992 and another 100 in 1993 for a total of 400. It is the best purchase I have made in my lifetime. We are leaving for Aulani on 5/25 for 12 days in a 2 bedroom with my cousin and his wife. We have used our points all around the world, giving us so many good experiences and memories. Can't wait to see what DVC has in store for us next!!

My parents bought into DVC in September/October of 1993. My wife and I spent our honeymoon at OKW in July 1994 - the first stay by anyone under that membership and we went over to the Commodore House for the tour/lemonade/ice cream and dreamed as newlyweds of being able to afford our own membership.

Six years later, on a trip to DVC Hilton Head, we bought in to DVC there. We have since inherited the original OKW membership (shared with my brother and sister-in-law).

Great memories of the antique bus, commodore house and ice cream.

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter