OKW at Christmas

smitty11k

Earning My Ears
We are trying to rent DVC points at OKW the week before Christmas. Any pointers on where to request our 2BR Villa? I'm seeing that HH is good to request, but will the buses be full by the time they get to the last stop?
TIA

OKW has been my home resort for 23 years and we still love it. I book a GV for a week there almost every December though not right at Christmas. My personal preference is far away from HH because I prefer the quieter areas and parking is easier than say, those villas that are right across from HH. But that is my personal preference.

There is a constant stream of buses through OKW and I'm not sure I can think of a time when a bus we were on (heading to a park) that was so crowded they couldn't get more folks on at HH. I suppose that is certainly possible. I just don't recall it. I do know that at peak times of the day and high seasons the bus can be pretty full.

Are you going to have anyone sleeping on the sofa bed or sleeper chair in the living room of your 2 bdrm villa? If so, you might want to request a villa in Phase 2. The 1 & 2 bdrm villas in Phase 2 do not require going through the master bedroom to get to the master bedroom because one can go to the master bath through the laundry room. If you do not have anyone sleeping in the living room or they are going to be solely using the 2nd bdrm's bathroom this is a moot point. Happy planning!!

OKW has been my home resort for 23 years and we still love it. I book a GV for a week there almost every December though not right at Christmas. My personal preference is far away from HH because I prefer the quieter areas and parking is easier than say, those villas that are right across from HH. But that is my personal preference.

There is a constant stream of buses through OKW and I'm not sure I can think of a time when a bus we were on (heading to a park) that was so crowded they couldn't get more folks on at HH. I suppose that is certainly possible. I just don't recall it. I do know that at peak times of the day and high seasons the bus can be pretty full.

Are you going to have anyone sleeping on the sofa bed or sleeper chair in the living room of your 2 bdrm villa? If so, you might want to request a villa in Phase 2. The 1 & 2 bdrm villas in Phase 2 do not require going through the master bedroom to get to the master bedroom because one can go to the master bath through the laundry room. If you do not have anyone sleeping in the living room or they are going to be solely using the 2nd bdrm's bathroom this is a moot point. Happy planning!!
Yes, we will have someone sleeping in the living room so that is very helpful. We are trying to decide between OKW and AKL. My DD wants to stay at AK but I feel like it is on the other side of the world.
I have read that some of the bathrooms at OKW are very old and need to be updated. Do you know if this has been done? DDBF is very picky about clean and new.

The HH area of OKW is a booking category.
If that is the area you are wanting to stay in the member you are renting from will have to have the points required for booking in the HH area.

Yes, we will have someone sleeping in the living room so that is very helpful. We are trying to decide between OKW and AKL. My DD wants to stay at AK but I feel like it is on the other side of the world.
I have read that some of the bathrooms at OKW are very old and need to be updated. Do you know if this has been done? DDBF is very picky about clean and new.

OKW was updated in 2010 but they left all the bathroom tile which is an older style with big grout lines. If someone is that picky over the bathrooms then go with AKV. The bus ride length will vary depending on where you end up at OKW. IF you can get on the buses at HH and head right out then it definitley will be faster than anything from AKV but if you have to ride around OKW then I think it will be very similar. AKV only has stops at Kidani and Jambo and then you head out. Once you're moving it's probably an extra 5-8 minutes ride from AKV.

Remember that not all of the HH category bldgs are at the HH bus stop. Some of them are across the bridge and closer to the Peninsula bus stop which would be the first stop on the OKW loop which would be great for guaranteed space on the bus, but then you have to endure another 4 stops until you leave the resort.
Life is a crap shoot...sometimes you win and sometimes you don't.

OKW is the original DVC resort. It is done in the style of it's namesake, "old Key West". Personally, I love the wonderful handmade thick tiles that are still in the bathrooms at OKW. I would be extremely disappointed if they removed them to put something else up simply for the sake of being "new". New tiles are nothing like those at OKW for the most part. Kat4 is right that the tiles have wider grout lines but I think that it looks very appropriate with the "old" Key West decor and these tiles. I have always found OKW to have very well-cleaned rooms & I've owned there for 23 years. New? Only the furnishings, granite countertops, etc. They have for the most part kept the themed decor. If "new" is a big deal to your DH, maybe OKW is not the best choice for you all.

As for the buses, I always, always request to be far away from HH and I think like the bus system very much at OKW. They stop at no other resorts and have no more stops than say, SSR. And the walk to the closest bus stop can be a good deal closer than one could have if they were staying at BWV or AKV because these 2 resorts in particular have very, very long corridors. Not bashing them at all, but I've been at those resorts many times as well and have had some monster hikes just to get out of the hotel building and out to the one bus stop out front. It all just depends on where your villa might be assigned at resorts like BWV and AKV. The advantage that BWV and BCV have is that they have both boats and walkways to EPCOT & HS.

OKW is the original DVC resort. It is done in the style of it's namesake, "old Key West". Personally, I love the wonderful handmade thick tiles that are still in the bathrooms at OKW. I would be extremely disappointed if they removed them to put something else up simply for the sake of being "new". New tiles are nothing like those at OKW for the most part. Kat4 is right that the tiles have wider grout lines but I think that it looks very appropriate with the "old" Key West decor and these tiles. I have always found OKW to have very well-cleaned rooms & I've owned there for 23 years. New? Only the furnishings, granite countertops, etc. They have for the most part kept the themed decor. If "new" is a big deal to your DH, maybe OKW is not the best choice for you all.

As for the buses, I always, always request to be far away from HH and I think like the bus system very much at OKW. They stop at no other resorts and have no more stops than say, SSR. And the walk to the closest bus stop can be a good deal closer than one could have if they were staying at BWV or AKV because these 2 resorts in particular have very, very long corridors. Not bashing them at all, but I've been at those resorts many times as well and have had some monster hikes just to get out of the hotel building and out to the one bus stop out front. It all just depends on where your villa might be assigned at resorts like BWV and AKV. The advantage that BWV and BCV have is that they have both boats and walkways to EPCOT & HS.
Thank you for all the helpful information. I know that either way it will be a fun trip! We actually stayed in a 2 br villa at OKW about 20 years ago and then had to move to the Beach Club regular room. I cried. Our girls were little and there was so much room at OKW. Then to go to hotel room for the rest of our trip was sad. OKW is a beautiful resort.
People make it seem like it takes 2 hours to get from resort to the parks, when in reality it probably doesn't take any longer than to drive your own car and park.

Thank you for all the helpful information. I know that either way it will be a fun trip! We actually stayed in a 2 br villa at OKW about 20 years ago and then had to move to the Beach Club regular room. I cried. Our girls were little and there was so much room at OKW. Then to go to hotel room for the rest of our trip was sad. OKW is a beautiful resort.
People make it seem like it takes 2 hours to get from resort to the parks, when in reality it probably doesn't take any longer than to drive your own car and park.

You are most welcome, smitty11k. OKW is still my favorite DVC resort at WDW. I love lots of the other resorts too, but then I have so many special memories of bringing my children there as they were growing up. Now I rent a GV there at least every other year to get the brood together. We all love it at OKW.

I think one would actually save time going on the bus from OKW as opposed to their own car when going to a theme park because there is no time wasted at turnstiles, actually parking and then either walking a good ways or taking a tram whereas the buses will drop you off pretty close to the front gates. JMHO. :cutie: Enjoy your trip no matter where you choose! :sunny:

I prefer OKW to the other resorts because of the space you have and it is quiet. After a day in the parks I crave quiet. :rolleyes1 If the access to the bathroom through the laundry room is a good idea request Turtle Pond or South Point. Both of these areas have the second door through the laundry room to the master bath. Very convenient if someone is sleeping in the living room. As for the bathroom I agree that it is the theming that the bathrooms convey. Some people think that makes the bathrooms "old" but it is the style. You are not staying at BLT with its ultra modern style. The Key West theme throughout the resort is charming. And cleanliness has nothing to do with the theme IMO. :-) Enjoy wherever you stay!

I'm glad I read this thread. We are staying at OKW the week of Easter. We're bringing our 2 grandchildren and getting a 1 bedroom villa. We wanted the kitchen for breakfast and maybe a few lunches. Anything else you think I should know about the resort to help our stay be better? Thanks.

A big advantage of AKV is the 3rd bathroom. If your party is lage enough to have people sleeping in the living room, then that 3rd full bath is very nice to have.

What is the storage (drawers and closets) like in a 1 bedroom villa? There will be 2 adults, 1 child and 1 teenager. Thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter