Okay, I'm ready to become an AP holder... what's the best way to do this?

LisaTN

DIS Veteran
We are going at least twice this year with a possible third (crazy I know, but we were invited to stay with some friends at Bonnet Creek for free so it's just turned out this way).

1. So, do I just buy the voucher online and activate it when I get there (where do I do this)? Will this take a long time? Can I do it before the park opens?

2. Or should I buy 5-day park hoppers and just upgrade when I get there?

3. Will the new AP be RFID?

4. Can I sign up for TiW with just the voucher, or will I have to wait until I get the AP?

THANKS in advance!!!

Lisa

We are going at least twice this year with a possible third (crazy I know, but we were invited to stay with some friends at Bonnet Creek for free so it's just turned out this way).

1. So, do I just buy the voucher online and activate it when I get there (where do I do this)? Will this take a long time? Can I do it before the park opens?

4. Can I sign up for TiW with just the voucher, or will I have to wait until I get the AP?

THANKS in advance!!!

Lisa

1 - that's what we do - at any Guest Relations at any park or Downtown Disney (not at a resort) - doesn't take long at all, just have your photo ID ready - as long as the Guest Relations windows are open, you can activate the voucher

2 - why when you know you are getting an annual pass

3 - no one knows but probably

4 - no idea

1 - that's what we do - at any Guest Relations at any park or Downtown Disney (not at a resort) - doesn't take long at all, just have your photo ID ready - as long as the Guest Relations windows are open, you can activate the voucher

2 - why when you know you are getting an annual pass

3 - no one knows but probably

4 - no idea

THANKS!!

With #2, I was thinking that way we could go into the park at RD without having to worry about activating AP. And then come back later in the day or on our way out to upgrade to AP?

Yes, Guest Relations opens an hour before the parks opens. Sometimes it gets busy so arrive with plenty of time to activate the voucher :)

The only upside of this would be that you can skip Guest Relations first thing in the morning. You can also upgrade inside the park if you have a 5 Day Ticket.

Probably.

You have to wait until the voucher is activated.

I wasn't staying on property when I came for spring break, so for me free parking made a difference. I got mine at downtown Disney and the went to the park.

THANKS in advance!!!

Lisa

1. You absolutely can do this. It doesn't take long at all, depending on lines. Very simple. Have photo ID ready for all adults. Ticket booths and guest relation offices open, I believe, an hour or so before the parks.

2. You may do this also. This is the best way to get a discount on an AP. Buy quickly from an authorized reseller to get the normal discount, but also to get the old pricing prior to the increase at June 3, if still available. The trick is to buy the ticket with the biggest discount without going over gate value of the AP you are upgrading to. Just use the ticket at least once before doing the upgrade and don't use any Water Park and Fun options if not upgrading to a PAP. Also, know the difference between a gate price value of the ticket you have and the AP you want. Another bonus of doing this is, you do not need to waste time in long lines, you can do it at your leisure. No point in waiting days though, you'll miss out on shopping and dining discounts.

3. Most likely

4. My experience has been you need an active AP. you can do the purchase at the same time as turning in a voucher or upgrading the ticket. That only takes a couple minutes longer.

ETA: if you are staying offsite, on the day you purchase or upgrade to an AP, you should bring your parking receipt with you when you do the upgrade. You can get a refund for that days purchase only, and only on that day. With a voucher, Disney will usually allow you to park for free, but I get the feeling that it is CM discretion. If you pay for parking, just bring in your receipt for a refund when you activate your pass.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

One other thing.

The annual pass dates will start when you activate the pass. If you don't really care about one day, you could activate the pass the night before you want to make rope drop. The easiest place to do this is Downtown Disney. Or, you could go over and park IN THE OVERFLOW lot of the Boardwalk (just wanted to throw that out so no one says I'm advocating parking in the resort lot) or play a round of Fantasia miniature golf and then walk over to the International Gateway entrance of Epcot and activate it there. Or, take a bus to Magic Kingdom and activate it there (you don't have to enter the park). I did that once when we were doing a monorail tour of the resorts.

So, if having one extra day is important, do it before you enter the park the first time. If you don't want the hassle before rope drop and the day doesn't matter, do it the night before.

The Tables in Wonderland card activates from date of purchase, so you want to wait until you're at WDW to purchase for the maximum usage of 13 months.

When I purchased an AP for my DIL last month, the CM said the AP would activate immediately. I asked when that changed because my AP did not activate last year until it was used at the gate. He called the ticketing CMs and they said APs do not activate until used at the gate:confused3

ETA: I exchanged my AP voucher last year at DTD and then used it the next day at MK. My renewal date is the date I entered at MK. But just wanted to add that exchanging at DTD is a good idea.

I get the voucher, print it out and bring it with me. I then pick it up as soon as I arrive. It will be RFID. I then get my TIW card for food/beverage discounts:thumbsup2

rt2dz said:
1. You absolutely can do this. It doesn't take long at all, depending on lines. Very simple. Have photo ID ready for all adults. Ticket booths and guest relation offices open, I believe, an hour or so before the parks.

2. You may do this also. This is the best way to get a discount on an AP. Buy quickly from an authorized reseller to get the normal discount, but also to get the old pricing prior to the increase at June 3, if still available. The trick is to buy the ticket with the biggest discount without going over gate value of the AP you are upgrading to. Just use the ticket at least once before doing the upgrade and don't use any Water Park and Fun options if not upgrading to a PAP. Also, know the difference between a gate price value of the ticket you have and the AP you want. Another bonus of doing this is, you do not need to waste time in long lines, you can do it at your leisure. No point in waiting days though, you'll miss out on shopping and dining discounts.

3. Most likely

4. My experience has been you need an active AP. you can do the purchase at the same time as turning in a voucher or upgrading the ticket. That only takes a couple minutes longer.

ETA: if you are staying offsite, on the day you purchase or upgrade to an AP, you should bring your parking receipt with you when you do the upgrade. You can get a refund for that days purchase only, and only on that day. With a voucher, Disney will usually allow you to park for free, but I get the feeling that it is CM discretion. If you pay for parking, just bring in your receipt for a refund when you activate your pass.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Wow!!!!! Thanks a ton!!!

1. (A) So, do I just buy the voucher online and activate it when I get there (where do I do this)? (B) Will this take a long time? (C) Can I do it before the park opens?

THANKS in advance!!!

Lisa
1A. It is actually faster to process an AP purchase at a window than it is to process a will-call reservation for the same AP.

1B. See 1A.

1C. Every Park entrance (including TTC and IG) will have at least one Ticket and one Guest Relations Window open at least 30 minutes prior to the first Guest being allowed into the Park. And this takes into consideration both pre-opening dining reservations as well as Morning EMH.

Each location Guest Relations Window will remain open as long as there are Guests in the Park.

2. If you go to the locked sticky Everything About WDW Tickets in this Forum, especially Post #18-C, you can get a lot more information. An easy way to get to the sticky is by clicking on the link in my signature. The ticket sticky is your friend!

3. Yes.

4. If you do the purchase of the AP at a Guest Relations window rather than a ticket window you can purchase the TiW card at the same time. Note that the TiW card is valid from the date of purchase to the end of the month and then 13 full months. If you do it by phone it is effect the date you call in.

Why don't you just skip the voucher and buy it it person when you get there?

I always think the same thing when I see this kind of question and then CheshireFigment pretty much verified what we were saying. ( 1A of above post)

Cheshire Figment said:
4. If you do the purchase of the AP at a Guest Relations window rather than a ticket window you can purchase the TiW card at the same time. Note that the TiW card is valid from the date of purchase to the end of the month and then 13 full months. If you do it by phone it is effect the date you call in.

I always go to Guest Relations, so much easier.
One time I did have a problem w/TiW card. I purchased in June & expiration was following June? CM told me it is only good for 12 months & sometimes you are lucky & get one that expires 13 months later?

So if a person gets a 5 day hopper can they upgrade it to an AP after using it the 5th day?

Let me try this senario. I have a friend coming say from NY to visit. I buy said person a 5 day hopper non-expiration ticket that cost $525.05 total with tax. Then said person decides to move to Florida but before doing so goes to DMV and obtains Florida license. Then goes back to Disney on the 5th day and gains admission then goe to guest services and says they want to get a FL res AP. Basically wouldnt cost anything because the FL res AP is $494.16??

standalone?? isnt a ticket a ticket? forgive me for not understanding

Ifyou are onsite and bought a package ticket there are different timeframes for upgrading.

Let me try this senario. I have a friend coming say from NY to visit. I buy said person a 5 day hopper non-expiration ticket that cost $525.05 total with tax. Then said person decides to move to Florida but before doing so goes to DMV and obtains Florida license. Then goes back to Disney on the 5th day and gains admission then goe to guest services and says they want to get a FL res AP. Basically wouldnt cost anything because the FL res AP is $494.16??

Correct. But I'm not sure FL just hands you the license. I think it's mailed to you. And FL is incredibly strict about getting licenses; I've read you even need your actual SS card and lots of other stuff. Not something done easily on a whim.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter