Okay, I'm kind of lost :) First timer with "real" camera

fuzzylogic

Disney World Fan
Hey Guys,

This will be my first trip to Disney World with a DSLR camera, last time we went to WDW was almost 6 years ago and just had a point and shoot.

Anyway, stupid question but do you take your camera and gear with you on the rides or do you check it inside a locker for part of the day?

Here's my gear list that I'll be taking to the parks:
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-250mm
Canon 50mm
Canon 10-22mm

I'm thinking about buying a compact tripod. The tripod I use now is way too heavy and bulky to carry around the parks.

Also, I've heard good things about the Lowepro 202 AW bag, so I'm thinking about buying one of those.

Times have changed! NO way I could fit my DSLR into my fanny pack like the "good 'old days" :)

Thanks for the tips and how you handle your equipment while at WDW. I'm a little leary about leaving my stuff in the stroller by the entrance, but I don't expect to take the camera onto Rockin' Roller Coaster... or should I?

TIA!!

Disney allows you to take your camera on all rides - unlike Universal. What I usually do on the roller coasters is to place my leg thru the camera strap and hang on to the camera - or the same with the camera bag although sometimes I'm actually taking pictures while on the ride.

For the water rides you might want to have a plastic bag to place the camera in to protect it from a drenching.

My camera gear stays with me at all times, though if I know I will only use a tripod at night, I either leave it back in the room, or in a locker. I usually have my camera out and ready to go. On rides, I just stick my bag between my legs on the floor. I have the all weather versions of bags so I can just pull out the little cover for water protection (ie rain, spray, NOT immersion).

I always drop my tripod off in a locker first thing in the morning. Then come back and get it when I need it! Mine's not the lightest either and a locker really saves the back!

I've got the LowePro Slingshot 202 AW and I love it. I've got a 7D as well and usually take an 18-85 lens attached, flash, Canon HD videocam, and Canon G10 (for back-up). Plenty of room for all this plus more space for cards, batteries, etc. It's a well designed bag. Taking it to Disneyworld in November.

I carry my equipment with me at all times. Like others, I do the leg/bag strap thing on the rides. I have a lightweight tripod that I will put in the locker until I'm ready to shoot fireworks or I will use my gorillapod. I bring quite a bit of equipment with me to WDW and on a daily basis choose what to bring to the parks. My standard haul is one or two camera bodies, 28-70mm f2.8, 30mm 1.4, 70-200mm f2.8, and external flash or two. Usually, I will also throw in my 18-55 should I need to go wider than 28mm. My next lens goal is an UWA. If its a real hot day, then I tend to cut back a little by leaving the 70-200 and the vertical grips behind. I have two bags that I choose between, the Lowepro Fastpack 200 and the Slingshot 200 AW. It depends on how much gear I'm hauling. The Fastpack can carry more gear than the Slingshot.

won't travelling with all the equipment hinder your disney experience???

I guess that depends on what you're looking for in your Disney experience. Many of us here take great enjoyment from having our photography equipment with us in such a beautiful place.

I have found that it enhances my experience as I'm always looking around and finding "gems" to shoot. My last trip was a "looking up" trip. I saw and photographed things I hadn't seen in my many times to WDW. After shooting thousands of images, I continue to review, re-process and re-live the trip until our return. Its now been 14 months since our return home and only 3 more months till we get back. I'm already putting together my shot list of things I want to shoot. Its all part of the planning process that keeps the excitement level up.

It might hinder your Disney Experience, but remember you are on the Photography Board, so most of the folks on here love taking pictures.

IMHO WDW represents one of the most photogenic spots in the country, some folks want to bring as little photo equipment as possible while some are willing to bring more. Personally I want to capture dark ride shots, ultra wide shots, and some telephoto shots. So I am willing to bring more equipment than some folks, and take what I need to any park on any given day.

Different strokes, for different folks. :)

Depends!

For me WDW photography is a big part of the trip! So carrying a back pack with multiple lenses, flash, softbox, remote trigger, gels, tripod is just part of my trip!

Thanks for the replies! I went to the store today and bought the Lowepro 102 AW... All I can say is wow!! What a case! It seems like they put alot of thought into this case.

As far as the "Disney Experience"... taking some great photos IS part of the Disney Experience (for me)

Thanks for the replies! I went to the store today and bought the Lowepro 102 AW... All I can say is wow!! What a case! It seems like they put alot of thought into this case.

As far as the "Disney Experience"... taking some great photos IS part of the Disney Experience (for me)

Welcome to the club!

You'll want to check out www.wdwphotography.com. And there is a great community of WDW photographers on Flickr.

I keep my camera around my neck and a couple of lenses and other goodies in my bag and take it everywhere with me in the parks. I'm not big into WDW photography, but I am into photographing my kids at WDW.

Hey Guys,

This will be my first trip to Disney World with a DSLR camera, last time we went to WDW was almost 6 years ago and just had a point and shoot.

Anyway, stupid question but do you take your camera and gear with you on the rides or do you check it inside a locker for part of the day?

Here's my gear list that I'll be taking to the parks:
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-250mm
Canon 50mm
Canon 10-22mm

I'm thinking about buying a compact tripod. The tripod I use now is way too heavy and bulky to carry around the parks.

Also, I've heard good things about the Lowepro 202 AW bag, so I'm thinking about buying one of those.

Times have changed! NO way I could fit my DSLR into my fanny pack like the "good 'old days" :)

Thanks for the tips and how you handle your equipment while at WDW. I'm a little leary about leaving my stuff in the stroller by the entrance, but I don't expect to take the camera onto Rockin' Roller Coaster... or should I?

TIA!!

the large DSLR lens bags are fine but if I know I'm going to do a lot of walking I just carry a camera and two lens "holster" style bag

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter