OK...where to eat on DHS day (TS)????

We are heading to the boardwalk on our DHS day and eating at Kouzzina, then heading back for emh. We really like Kouzzina, but Captains Grille is also a good choice.

We really enjoyed the Sci-Fi. More the atmosphere than anything but we found their milk shakes VERY yummy. We would eat there again no problem. (We had the smoked meat sandwiches....milkshakes....dessert....and a lot of photos - it was neat sitting in a car like you were at a drive-in and watching the old film trailers. Of course, my DH had to try to figure out the "year" and "models" of the cars and had me taking pictures of even licence plates....

I am so glad to read this! I'm doing my ADRs on Wednesday and we'd like to have dinner at Sci-Fi on our arrival evening, just haven't read too many reviews that were good. Were you using the DDP and if so, were you permitted to get milkshakes as your drink?

Your DH sounds exactly like my DH. :laughing:

For TS at DHS, we've been to Mama Melrose, Brown Derby and Sci-Fi - we're trying 50's next trip. For dinner, if you don't want to use the 2 credits for Brown Derby, I'd recommend Mama Melrose.

We have 3 boys and have enjoyed Sci-Fi for lunch in the past (it's fun to do once, and the burgers/shakes were good!) but we didn't enjoy it for dinner. Mama Melrose, on the other hand, has been consistently good (both food and atmosphere) and very convenient if you don't want to leave the park. We get a 5:30 or 6pm ADR, and then after dinner we run over to ToT and see Buzz and Woody one more time before park closing!

We broke up our day at DHS by leaving the park and taking the boat to the Yacht Club and having lunch at the Captain's Grille. We arrived early so had a drink at the Crew's Cup Lounge first.

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

Lots of times we also head for the Boardwalk to eat. Not often do we eat in DHS. Anything half decent you can't get in last minute. And the counter service restaurants there we only do if we have to.
Most anything at the Boardwalk is good, sit down or counter. We tried ESPN Zone for the first time a few months back and we were both pleasantly surprised. I would probably be more apt to go there now first. Unless I wanted something specific at another location. For example, the Beer Cheese Soup at Big River Grille is hard to beat.

From the sounds of things.........

The Derby is the only decent restraunt in DHS?????

I am cancelling my dinner res at H&V..

So, should I just book somewhere else on that day (I do not want to use 2 credits to eat at derby).:confused3

Thanks

We always eat at '50s Primetime Cafe. It's a fun time with good food, especially if you like "home cooking." I would definitely eat there.

We broke up our day at DHS by leaving the park and taking the boat to the Yacht Club and having lunch at the Captain's Grille. We arrived early so had a drink at the Crew's Cup Lounge first.

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

We were planning on doing the same thing. About how long is the boat ride? And where do you catch the boat? Thanks

We like BD- but don't always consider it the best use of 2TS- so we're like the other posters that suggest taking the boat to the boardwalk area or even Epcot for a change of atmosphere. DHS kind of lacks variety for us. Great snacking,tho!

If you're getting a Park Hopper, my suggestion is the hop to Epcot via the International Gateway and eat in World Showcase. That is always our plan. Usually with a 5:00PM reservation in World Showcase, you can get back to Hollywood Studios for Fantasmic at 8:30.

We were planning on doing the same thing. About how long is the boat ride? And where do you catch the boat? Thanks

The boat ride is very short. From DHS, it stops at the Swan/Dolphin first, then I believe the Yacht/Beach, then Boardwalk. This might take 10-15 minutes, but its a nice ride. After exiting the gates, you'll go towards the left. If this link will work, you can see the boat docks here:

http://www.wdwtourguide.com/img/DisneysHollywoodStudiosMap.jpg

When you're going back to DHS, if you miss the boat at the BW, then walk over to the Swan/Dolphin. Its not a long walk, but you'll still catch the same boat (since it stops at the Yacht/Beach Club) without waiting 20 more minutes.

You can also walk to the Boardwalk. Its about a mile (15-20 min.)

The boat ride is very short. From DHS, it stops at the Swan/Dolphin first, then I believe the Yacht/Beach, then Boardwalk. This might take 10-15 minutes, but its a nice ride. After exiting the gates, you'll go towards the left. If this link will work, you can see the boat docks here:

http://www.wdwtourguide.com/img/DisneysHollywoodStudiosMap.jpg

When you're going back to DHS, if you miss the boat at the BW, then walk over to the Swan/Dolphin. Its not a long walk, but you'll still catch the same boat (since it stops at the Yacht/Beach Club) without waiting 20 more minutes.

You can also walk to the Boardwalk. Its about a mile (15-20 min.)

Thank you for the info!

The Hollywood Brown Derby and 50s Prime Time are the best TS options for dinner with the first being my preference. Sci Fi is good for lunch (burgers, shakes, etc.).

I am so glad to read this! I'm doing my ADRs on Wednesday and we'd like to have dinner at Sci-Fi on our arrival evening, just haven't read too many reviews that were good. Were you using the DDP and if so, were you permitted to get milkshakes as your drink?

Your DH sounds exactly like my DH. :laughing:

Yes, we were on the DDP. I remember the CM saying that we could use the milk shake for ?? or dessert - so, I'm thinking that we used ours as the drink..

YES - just checked my copy of the menus (scrapbooker...keep everything...) and my initial is beside the Peanut Butter-Chocolate Cake for dessert (yummy too), which means my milk shake WAS my drink (we didn't stray from the dining plans while at the restaurants and we always asked the CM to let us know if there was something we were ordering that wasn't part of the plan or over the plan limit and they were VERY good about that....). Maybe she was being really nice to us as we had been caught in one of the September monsoon rains enroute to Sci-Fi, we probably looked like we had been swimming to get there;)

I hope your DH likes it - that is the one and only TS place mine wants to return to this time for sure.

I really like Prime Time, and Mama Melrose. Love Brown Derby, but not for 2 credits. I usually just go there for the Cobb Salad - I order it as an entree.

Don't be disheartened by your choices due to negative reviews. EVERY single Disney restaurant, even places like Jiko, have their fair share of bad reviews. Pick your restaurant based on which menu and theme appeal to you, and what fits into your budget and timeline.

FWIW, we LOVE sci-fi. :thumbsup2

I totally agree with you, we never base our decisions on what others say. There are more negative reviews that are posted than positive ones. With that said, we enjoy eating at 50's and we are going to be trying out Sci-Fi for our upcoming trip. DH and I think it would be fun to sit in a drive in with our kids watching old movies while dining on burgers and shakes. One restaurant that we were surprised by was Mama Melrose. I had read a ton of negative reviews on this, but decided to try it out anyway, and I am glad that we did. The Chicken Parm is awesome :goodvibes. Good luck.

Yes, we were on the DDP. I remember the CM saying that we could use the milk shake for ?? or dessert - so, I'm thinking that we used ours as the drink..

YES - just checked my copy of the menus (scrapbooker...keep everything...) and my initial is beside the Peanut Butter-Chocolate Cake for dessert (yummy too), which means my milk shake WAS my drink (we didn't stray from the dining plans while at the restaurants and we always asked the CM to let us know if there was something we were ordering that wasn't part of the plan or over the plan limit and they were VERY good about that....). Maybe she was being really nice to us as we had been caught in one of the September monsoon rains enroute to Sci-Fi, we probably looked like we had been swimming to get there;)

I hope your DH likes it - that is the one and only TS place mine wants to return to this time for sure.

Thanks! PM'd you. :)

Sci fi gets my vote- unless you are looking to do the F! dinner package...then I would choose MM.

Of course, like other posters have mentioned- you could leave the park and head somewhere else for lunch. Somewhere DTD perhaps...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter