• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Ok, so really how bad are the Dolphin hallways?

Dismom63

Mouseketeer
We have never stayed @ the Dolphin and I had to really talk it up with my family (they think it is the weird "fish" hotel). With that said, I am so excited about the location and a balcony (hopefully deluxe room) @ a moderate price using teacher discount.
Seems I keep hearing references to dingy hallways with old moldy carpet. Tell me it isn't so!
Thanks for the reassurance!
Sharon

Ooops forgot to mention we are staying @ the Dolphin for 8 nights in April. Yippeeeeeeeeeeee!

We got a nice room with the Nurse discount and had a balcony. We were on the 6th floor east side. The room was very clean and the view was nice. The hallway was really worn but it didn't bother us. The Dolphin was well worth the money and the location was great. So with all that said and done forget about the hall and enjoy your trip.
Darlene

We just came back from the Dolphin. 5th floor East side. The hallways were great. Looked like they had just been redone. Had a balcony and a great view. Could watch Illuminations from our room at night. Maybe I should say the fireworks part of it.

the carpets are not that bad. They have a beach scene on them with beach towels, balls and books that blend in with the walls. In fact, one night of our stay, they were actually cleaning the carpets with a LOUD machine until about 10pm. We were coming and going so it did not bother us, but I thought about people with kids trying to sleep. To be honest, with the color looking like sand you could hardly tell a difference after they were cleaned.

We used the Teacher rate and had a really nice room. The only thing is that its such a big place that we felt like we were walking forever back to our room. My mom got lost in the lobby and my son had to go locate her. We had a good laugh about that one. I would go again!

We stayed at the Dolphin for the second time in September and yes, the carpets in the hallways are past their best, as they have not yet been replaced. As BC said, they are sand coloured with beach towels etc on them, so they don't really look that grubby and you are only in the hallways for such a short portion of your stay I wouldn't let it bother me.

I'm sure you will love the hotel, my kids think it's great, they are 13 and 10 and we have visited most of the 'official' Disney hotels but we prefer the Dolphin - we had the pool to ourselves every time we used it - as most guests are in conference during the day.

If you haven't done already, do join the SPG program, we noticed a real difference in the way we were treated during our September stay, our first stay as SPG members, so it's well worth doing and can get you an upgrade if you are lucky.

Hope you have a fab trip! :D

Originally posted by judi
We just came back from the Dolphin. 5th floor East side. The hallways were great. Looked like they had just been redone. Had a balcony and a great view. Could watch Illuminations from our room at night. Maybe I should say the fireworks part of it.

Glad to hear that the hallway on your floor was redone. Aren't they all supposed to be redone along with the beds and rooms? Anyone know the timeframe for the hallways to be finished?:hyper:

Basically, my best bit of advice is join ANY hotel program that you can!!! You normally earn points which can be redeemed for stays, gift certificates, etc.

Certain programs such as Comfort Inns, I believe give you an upgraded room also. Others such as Marriott just seem to treat you a little nicer - they usually have your preferences on file also. Some hotels such as Super8, Wingate, etc combine into one program such as triprewards.com. Loews gives you a welcome gift in your room such as cookies & milk or fruit & water.

Originally posted by cindala
Glad to hear that the hallway on your floor was redone. Aren't they all supposed to be redone along with the beds and rooms? Anyone know the timeframe for the hallways to be finished?:hyper:

I know they aren't redoing the hallways until after the room remodeling is done. That way the halls won't get trashed from lugging all the construction stuff in and out. It sounds like they may be replacing the carpet after a floor is completely remodeled. I would highly recommend getting a remodeled room, even if it's just a standard.

"Poohlovr" recently returned and had a thread about rooms being redone up to at least floor 7.

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=481218

I wouldn't descibe the hallways as"dingy"...but the "sandy" pattern has alwasy made my DH think they looked in need of cleaning! SOme areas are worn and past their prime ...good to hear the renovations will take care of that!

Have a great time on your trip! :)

My Family just returned from the Dolphin Dec 17. The hallways are o.k. They had absolutely no affect on my trip. The room was great with a balcony and a nightly view of the illuminations fireworks. My children are 7 & 4 and loved the hotel also.

Bethann

My kids loved the hallways. They played a game of trying to get back to the room from the elevators by hopping only on the beach towels and beach balls. If you landed on the sand you were out !

I didn't notice any wear,but we were there in 2002. I hope if they get new carpet that they keep the beach designs in them so the kids can play their game.

We thought the Dolphin was beautiful and will probably not want to stay somewhere besides the Epcot area. That location is the best. I dont think you could go wrong with any of those five hotels, the Dolphin,Swan, Beach and YC, and the Boardwalk.

We stayed there last Dec, and I didn't like it.. I know I'm an minority here.. but the room we had - had blood all over the place.. I had to beg for them to move us - They did give us our money back, but I did expect more out of this hotel.

Blood all over the place? What the heck happened in that room?
Could you tell me what room number that was? We may be staying there in Dec.

Lisa

Originally posted by lisajl
Blood all over the place? What the heck happened in that room?
Could you tell me what room number that was? We may be staying there in Dec.

Lisa

I honestly don't remember the room number. It was facing Epcot.
THere was blood on the bedding and spots on the end tables and the bathroom. My daughter was so freaked out that she wouldn't sit down anywhere..
and she was only 11 then. So after calling down a few times we finally got moved 2 rooms down. I had pictures of the blood but when I lost my hard drive the pictures went bye bye.

Originally posted by Buckleybunch
I honestly don't remember the room number. It was facing Epcot.
THere was blood on the bedding and spots on the end tables and the bathroom. My daughter was so freaked out that she wouldn't sit down anywhere..
and she was only 11 then. So after calling down a few times we finally got moved 2 rooms down. I had pictures of the blood but when I lost my hard drive the pictures went bye bye.
I'm surprised you had to call a 'few times' to 'finally' get moved from a room that had blood in it. It's too bad you 'lost' those pictures. I'd like to see them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter