Ok, need something extra for a 16-year-old boys birthday in Disney

JohnDaleswife

Sharing the same birthday with Donald Duck!
So if we go next February my nephew will be going with us for his first trip! And I realized he will be turning 16 during the trip, so I want to do something for that. I currently have a reservation at T-Rex booked on his birthday. I can't think of a dining venue that could be any more "boyish". He is not a real big fan of cake, but he loves cheesecake. Could cancel that and go to the Cheesecake Factory.

Wonder if the Cheesecake Factory does anything special as far a special order cheesecake for a birthday. Or any Disney restaurants do anything special with a really good cheesecake? Any other ideas?

Trip Advisor has wolfgang puck express and boardwalk bakery rated higher than cheesecake factory for cheesecakes.

My gut says trex is going to be too boyish for 16 unless they are really into dinosaurs or the experience while there. I'm not sure I would have "boyish" as the destination for 16th birthday.

Being his first trip to disney, sci-fi dine in or something more sportish if they are into sports at the boardwalk and then over to the bakery for cheesecake after might be a good choice. Whispering Caynon is different enough that it would be a unique experience while there. This might need some parents input on what he's interested in (or maybe some country he really connects with and has dreams of 1 day visiting and head to epcot for a place there).

I think Ohana is also a good choice for a boy that age. No cheesecake, but 16 year old boys are usually big fans of AYCTE locations. That would apply to Whispering Canyon as well, which is a good choice too.

At 16 I think T-Rex is a little kiddie for a birthday dinner. He might have more fun at Splitsville or something like that. You can always call the special order cake department and see if they can do a cheesecake for his birthday. Worst case you can go somewhere else for cheesecake after the meal.

If you want to do an activity, do the Wilderness Segway tour. I took my son on this for his 16th birthday and he absolutely loved it.

Our two older boys are ages 15 and 16. T-Rex is something that would have appealed to them at a much younger age. As for restaurant recommendations, it really depends on the individual kid. Our oldest enjoys either signature restaurants or all-you-can-eat locations with decent food. So he loves California Grill and Le Cellier for food/atmosphere, and Biergarten, Garden Grill and Hoop Dee Doo for large quantities of food/fun. Our 15-year-old enjoys Liberty Tree and Garden Grill because he can eat the kids' items (like mac and cheese) in larger quantities and without having to order them from a kids' menu.

As for cake, it's the thought that counts for our kids. They've enjoyed themed mini cakes (I'm ordering one with a Haunted Mansion theme for our upcoming trip!) It's a small cake, but fun to mark a celebration.

P.S. As a previous poster mentioned, Ohana is fun for a teen birthday too!

Are you looking for food or atmosphere?

I have 3 ds and they all like different food.

I would look into something else besides TRex.

As others have posted:
Sci Fi
Whispering Canyon
ESPN if he is into sports
Sanaa for lunch to see the animals
Teppan Edo for the entertainment aspect
Beaches and Cream for the Kitchen Sink maybe

I agree, no T Rex at that age. I have 17 year old twins and they like the signature restaurants. If he likes lobster, Narcoossees would be an option. If he likes meat, Biergarten would be good. Comfort food, 50's Prime Time or burgers and shakes at Sci-Fi. There are several options if he likes steak. I'd go more toward the mature route at that age.

Ok, no T-rex! I'll cancel. Forgot to mention we will be in Epcot that day.

Skipper's Canteen (jungle cruise themed) might be really fun for a teen boy.
And Trader Sam's Grotto- would be fun for light meal and to see all the effects when adult order drinks.
(You need to get a table inside to see the cool stuff)

Skipper's Canteen (jungle cruise themed) might be really fun for a teen boy.
And Trader Sam's Grotto- would be fun for light meal and to see all the effects when adult order drinks.
(You need to get a table inside to see the cool stuff)

Kids under 18 can't be at Trader Sam's after 8 so if they are going to Epcot first thay may not work.

If you want to stay in DtD check out The Indian Jones themed restaurant/bar. Everyone I know whose been says it is pretty great theming. There is no advance dinning reservation.

Last edited:
Are you looking for food or atmosphere?

I have 3 ds and they all like different food.

I would look into something else besides TRex.

As others have posted:
Sci Fi
Whispering Canyon
ESPN if he is into sports
Sanaa for lunch to see the animals
Teppan Edo for the entertainment aspect
Beaches and Cream for the Kitchen Sink maybe

All good choices. Maybe the Luau at the Poly would be one I might add to the list. What 16 yr old doesn't like hula dancers :smooth:

For a teen who likes cheesecake, the huge selection of cheesecake varieties at The Cheesecake Factory is special enough. But where's there a Cheesecake Factory near WDW?

Crew's Cup in the Yacht Club resort is laid-back and sporty, with good food. Don't think I'd bus across the World to eat there, though.

As for a special activity, I recommend the Epcot Aqua Seas Tour. He'll get to snorkel in the Epcot aquarium- it's a truly amazing experience & something almost any boy I know would love.

You can always call the special order cake department and see if they can do a cheesecake for his birthday. Worst case you can go somewhere else for cheesecake after the meal.

Disney's cake hotline applies only to Disney-operated restaurants, they won't deliver a cake to a third-party operated restaurant. All the restaurants at Disney Springs are third party. If you choose a Disney-operated restaurant, maybe the corresponding bakery that delivers to that restaurant will have a cheesecake available.

There is a Cheesecake Factory at the Mall at Millenia, about 13 miles from Disney Springs. One would need a car, taxi or car service to get there and back.

Disney's cake hotline applies only to Disney-operated restaurants, they won't deliver a cake to a third-party operated restaurant. All the restaurants at Disney Springs are third party. If you choose a Disney-operated restaurant, maybe the corresponding bakery that delivers to that restaurant will have a cheesecake available.

There is a Cheesecake Factory at the Mall at Millenia, about 13 miles from Disney Springs. One would need a car, taxi or car service to get there and back.

You can still get a cake delivered to your room and eat it after.

Ok, no T-rex! I'll cancel. Forgot to mention we will be in Epcot that day.

How about a nice dinner (or lunch) in EP (Via Napoli, Teppan Edo, Biergarten) and then walking over to Boardwalk Bakery for some cheesecake? A little pricey, but maybe even an Illuminations cruise that evening. You can order private dining items for the cruise, maybe they could do a cheesecake?

1) I would recommend either
. . . Fort Wilderness Hoop-Dee-Do-Review
. . . Fort Wilderness Trail's End buffet (breakfast and lunch)
2) He can then spend time exploring The Fort and do the nightly Chip-n-Dale Campfire

A few other thoughts to add to my earlier post, since OP will be in Epcot the day of the 16-year-old's birthday. Our teens really love the "eat around the world" concept and request it every trip. (We've done it many times, so now it's more abbreviated when we're visiting outside of Food and Wine or Flower and Garden - they just go to their favorite spots and eat all afternoon.) But with a first-time visitor, it would be fun to stop in every country - such a fun way to explore World Showcase. For our boys (again, outside of F&W or F&G) the full rotation includes chips in Mexico, pastry in Norway, pot stickers and/or eggrolls in China, giant pretzels or a brat and caramel in Germany, cavatappi pasta at Tutto Gusto in Italy, ice cream in America, sushi in Japan, chicken skewers in Morocco (we grab a table at Spice Road), cheese plate in France, cookie in the UK and some kind of maple candy from the gift shop in Canada. I can't eat this much, but I tag along and it's great fun! For our teens, this would be a great birthday - I'd probably follow it with a mini cake in our room, so it's festive but easy to save for the next day. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter