ok, I am not at Walmart all that often, but...

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by FINFAN, Apr 12, 2010.

1. FINFAN

FINFAN Mom to Tinkbell

had to run in there yesterday, used the self check-out line. Looked at my receipt and ther is an 8 cent charge for using my debit card? How long has THAT been going on? I did a search and saw an article form Feb this year, on all credit card companies installing various charges at various retailers....sheesh. This may have been going on a while and I have totally overlooked it..and I know I am going to get flamed over 8 cents, but it's the principle. I guess I will go back to cash...that is how I more than likely missed this charge in the first place, but still think it is wrong to charge for the simple act of USING a specific type of payment at the checkout.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Good Morning Dewdrop

Good Morning Dewdrop Have Courage & Be Kind

That's odd.

I shop at Wal-Mart all of the time (for our weekly shops) I've never had a charge for using my Disney Visa (yes I read each receipt to confirm prices etc before I leave the store). Not sure why they would charge for debit over credit - that makes no sense.

I suggest you call 1800Wal-Mart and ask directly. If it's a new policy complain about it - if enough people call they may change it back.

4. BellePrincessBelle

BellePrincessBelle <font color=green>Nothing says Thanksgiving like s

I have never been charged & I look over my receipt with a fine tooth comb.

5. Jana49

Jana49 Mmm! Dole Whips!

Yowza - I shop there all the time, and have to 'fess up that I don't check my reciepts often. I keep them all, though, and will go check out! Thanks for the head's up!

Btw, you wouldn't have to switch to cash.. just use your debit card as a credit card. Here's how: when you get to the part where you put in your PIN number, hit CANCEL, then the option to use it as a credit card is there.

6. Luvchefmic

Luvchefmic DIS Veteran

If you have a debit card with the Visa OR Mastercard logo....most do, but some don't..ALWAYS run it as pp stated as a credit card...I have finally gotten this message through to DH..not just Wal~Mart MOST places use a debit card incur a fee..why :confused3 doesn't matter to me why but never as a debit

7. MnMomtoboys

MnMomtoboys DIS Veteran

There are some debit cards that can't be used as credit cards.

8. secretpantssam

secretpantssam DIS Veteran

I thought it was cheaper for retailers if you used debit over credit...I guess I misunderstood. And it's kind of messed up they didn't warn you there would be an extra charge. Sure it's 8 cents, but it's principle that they charged you 8 more than you thought without any warning.

Do you have a link to that article??

9. sydneysmom

sydneysmom needing a vacation....soon!

I've never noticed that ours does that. that's really odd. I think I'd definately ask the store manager though..... :confused3

10. Luvchefmic

Luvchefmic DIS Veteran

True..that's why I said you have to make sure your debit card has the Visa or MC logo.....some debit cards issued don't

11. cheerforchelsea

cheerforchelsea DIS Veteran

I just checked my latest receipt - paid with a debit card and I didn't have a charge. It is a Regions Bank Card ---- wonder if the bank is the difference??? This was at an Alabama Wal-Mart. As many times as I go to WalMart that 8 cents would add up.:mad:

12. Daydreamer64

Daydreamer64 DIS Veteran

I checked my debt purchase from WM on 4/11, in Angola, NY and there was no charge for using the debit anywhere on the rec. :sad2:

Mine has a visa logo, and is not a pre-pay, but a true debit card- :confused3

I do a lot of impluse buying so they will lose out if I have to be strict to the amount of cash I carry.

13. Disneyglobegirl

Disneyglobegirl DIS Veteran

I use my debit card everywhere for everything and have never been charged a fee from a merchant for using it. Is the fee thing something new in certain areas?

14. FINFAN

FINFAN Mom to Tinkbell

called walmart, customer service did not understand what I was talking about over the phone, so the next time I go in I will bring my receipt and show them...:confused3 it is weird...and I hope a fluke as I think charging people who use a debit card is nuts!

15. pilesoflaundry

pilesoflaundry <font color=green>it doesn't get scratched as ofte

I don't know if they changed the policy but a year or so ago they stopped accepting check cards with the visa logo, only mastercard ones. I have a visa check card so I have to use it as debit.

I've never been charged a fee for it though.

16. happygirl

happygirl DIS Veteran

I use my debit card all the time at Walmart and have never been charged any sort of fee for using my debit card.

17. Luvchefmic

Luvchefmic DIS Veteran

Who did WalMart? I go there sometimes 2 x's a week here in FL..still run it as credit..and have the Visa Logo....maybe each state is different or depends on your bank :confused3 don't know

18. BellePrincessBelle

BellePrincessBelle <font color=green>Nothing says Thanksgiving like s

I use my Visa check card 2x's a week every week for the last 3 years as a Visa and have never had a problem.

19. tinkarooni

tinkarooni <font color=teal>Gets way too excited about saving

OP - Are you sure that it is Walmart that charged it and not your bank?

20. Ephany

Ephany DIS Veteran

I use my visa check card when I shop at Walmart, maybe it's a regional thing. I know I was in there right before Easter and used it then.

21. JB2K

JB2K DIS Veteran

I shopped there, yesterday -- paid with a debit card -- and, no additonal charges...