Ok here's the deal

One more question my wife and I were just talking she seems to think that we can't bank or borrow points is we go through resale. Is this true? I can't even think of a reason to buy direct. I just saw a BV listing for 9,500 for 150 PTS!!!!!! Also could Disney say that Resales can't go to other DVC resorts? For example if we buy at BV we can't go anywhere else.

This is NOT TRUE.

VB? Do you mean Vero Beach? You could do much better than that.

Honestly, why would anybody buy resale if they thought they couldn't use their points at other resorts? It's a CLUB!!!

Bottom line is that Disney will do what's good for Disney. They change point requirements, rules, and policies as they see fit for their needs, not ours.

The only guarantee is that you can book at your home resort before others who don't own there.

That's one of the reasons why I keep repeating that buyers should take the time to stay at the different resorts before buying and buy where they love to stay.

Will Disney change the rules and policies in the future? Only they know for sure but to be honest, I never thought that they would make the changes that they already have.

:earsboy: Bill

One more question my wife and I were just talking she seems to think that we can't bank or borrow points is we go through resale. Is this true? I can't even think of a reason to buy direct. I just saw a BV listing for 9,500 for 150 PTS!!!!!! Also could Disney say that Resales can't go to other DVC resorts? For example if we buy at BV we can't go anywhere else.

NOT TRUE... never has been true... there's never been a rumor that this might become true. You need to read whole lot more before you make a decision.

Let me ask you... Are you willing to pay over $7700 more to buy a contract through Disney just so you have the right to book a cruise on points instead of cash... even though booking on points doesn't make financial sense to begin with? How many cruises can you take for $7700? Since this is one of your wife's reasons for buying direct... because that's roughly the difference between buying the 150pt contract you mentioned direct vs. resale (and i even added $1000 for closing costs and first year MF to the resale contract). A poster a week or so ago bought BWV resale direct... at $115/pt. OUCH!
On the years you took a cruise, tack on another $700 (after paying your maintenance fees) that you could earn towards paying cash for a cruise if you rented your points at roughly $10/pt.

*numbers aren't precise but they are pretty close.

... and where's that BCV contract for $63/pt... i might be ready to add again!

I have two contract, both resales. 1 before the new rules, one just entered the system today!

Bottom line is that Disney will do what's good for Disney. They change point requirements, rules, and policies as they see fit for their needs, not ours.

The only guarantee is that you can book at your home resort before others who don't own there.

That's one of the reasons why I keep repeating that buyers should take the time to stay at the different resorts before buying and buy where they love to stay.

Will Disney change the rules and policies in the future? Only they know for sure but to be honest, I never thought that they would make the changes that they already have.

:earsboy: Bill
There's no guarantee the parks will be open and the resorts will be standing. However, ignoring the doomsday scenarios, I think there are guarantees one has the opportunity to book at the home resort at 11 months out and the opportunity to book at other club resorts the same lead time as other members. Realistically one likely has at least some exchange options like RCI or II.

My wife has a couple different reasons for buying direct. 1. she thinks in some way we will get ripped off. 2. she wants to do a disney cruise. 3. she is curious about using our points through the exchange program.

I just feel like Disney is the best place for a family vacation especially with little ones and with another one on the way we should purchase now and be set for vacations for a while. Our 18 year old still likes going to disney and since we went on our 3 year old's birthday last year she thinks every birthday will be at Disney(it was funny the other day when we asked her about what she wanted to do for her birthday next year, she looked like we were crazy and said we are going to disney). I am thinking that whatever comes out next will like disney also. So I think it is a good move but I am torn between a direct purchase and resale. Is it crazy to think that Disney will one day negate all resale deals? I know it sounds crazy but I am not totally sold on the resale deal because I don't like getting ripped off. Which I know that nobody does but do resales benefit disney in anyway that they support the resale of their vacation club deeds? Sorry to ramble just really torn at the moment. I have the money to do it and I have a lot of questions.
There are valid reasons to go resale and to buy direct. I haven't heard any valid reasons for your situation to buy direct though. You'd be paying a huge premium for very minimal protections over the resale process. To cruise you'd not only have to pay the premium per point but also buy significantly more points. I'd suggest you guess at your trips (both Disney and otherwise) the next 10 years, look at your current family membership and make the appropriate assumptions then decide what unit size you need. Once you have an idea of unit size, length of stay and number of trips, you can easily work out roughly how many points you'll need. Take the money saved by buying resale and less points and put it away for non DVC trips. You'll be WAY ahead of most members and DVC will be a blessing for your family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter