OK Foodies...Where should we eat?

mickeymotto

Where in the "World" am I?
Let me first start off by saying our group consists of 2 adults and two growing teenage boys and we love to eat! We especially like to splurge while on vaca, but also enjoy a quick snack if its worth the calories.

When at Disney we usually indulge in the Deluxe plan and like the signature restaurants for dinner. We like a few sit down breakfasts, but not everyday. We like pretty much all foods from sushi to steak. :dance3:

So with those details in mind, where would you recommend for us to eat when we go to Universal?! We will be there for a week and I would welcome suggestions for any of the following:

Breakfast

Lunch

Dinner

Snacks

We stayed in August. Also with teenagers. We really researched the trip reports before the trip and that helped alot. Some people post photos . Breakfast isn't too big for us so it was a hit and go, plenty of choices. Lunches we liked Finegans. And Margarittaville's nacho platter can feed an army. Dinner NBA Cafe was a big hit the food was really good. Mytho's is our treat for the vacation. The Martini's are great !!Themeing may also be one of your considerations. Air conditioning was one of the biggest. You'll have a great time.

I would second Mythos. It's been a couple years since I was there, but it was the food highlight of the trip. Definitely a notch or two above most theme park food. Just to give you an idea, my DF got a "sushi" dessert that was actually a rice krispie treat and fruit roll-ups made to look like sushi. I think it was also sauced with some fruit purees to look like soy sauce and wasabi. Just an example of the thought that goes into the menu there (although not all the dishes are that gimmicky).

In IOA--MYTHOS
In the Studios_ Lombard's Landing
City Walk- The Latin Quarter
Hotels_ Emeril's Tchoup Chop at the Royal Pacific REsort (you don't have to be staying there to eat there).

Breakfasts:

Boulangerie - Universal
Croissant Moon - IOA for quick eggs sandwich type croissants and other pastries and great coffees

OR Cinnabon
Pastamore for breakfast pizza at CW

For a terrific full breakfast Portofino Bay - Trattoria del Porto

Lunches:

Finnegan's at Universal
Thunder Falls cafe at IOA
Lombard's landing at Universal
Mythos at IOA
Nathans at Universal

Dinners:

Emeril's at CW
Latin Quarter at CW
The Kitchen at HRH
Mama Della at PBH
Mythos at IOA (depending on time of year) they my be closed
Margaritaville Lunch or dinner - fun good food in the same vein Bubba Gumps!

We stayed in August. Also with teenagers. We really researched the trip reports before the trip and that helped alot. Some people post photos . Breakfast isn't too big for us so it was a hit and go, plenty of choices. Lunches we liked Finegans. And Margarittaville's nacho platter can feed an army. Dinner NBA Cafe was a big hit the food was really good. Mytho's is our treat for the vacation. The Martini's are great !!Themeing may also be one of your considerations. Air conditioning was one of the biggest. You'll have a great time.
Thats a good idea, thanks. I will start checking out some of those TRs.:goodvibes
I would second Mythos. It's been a couple years since I was there, but it was the food highlight of the trip. Definitely a notch or two above most theme park food. Just to give you an idea, my DF got a "sushi" dessert that was actually a rice krispie treat and fruit roll-ups made to look like sushi. I think it was also sauced with some fruit purees to look like soy sauce and wasabi. Just an example of the thought that goes into the menu there (although not all the dishes are that gimmicky).

Mytho's for sure.But let me give ya a link to the food pic thread so you can see what great food offerings they have at Universal: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1031541
Mythos sounds like its going to make the list. Love the pics, thanks!
In IOA--MYTHOS
In the Studios_ Lombard's Landing
City Walk- The Latin Quarter
Hotels_ Emeril's Tchoup Chop at the Royal Pacific REsort (you don't have to be staying there to eat there).
I'm interested in knowing how you liked Tchoup Chop. Any recommendations on what to order?
Breakfasts:

Boulangerie - Universal
Croissant Moon - IOA for quick eggs sandwich type croissants and other pastries and great coffees

OR Cinnabon
Pastamore for breakfast pizza at CW

For a terrific full breakfast Portofino Bay - Trattoria del Porto

Lunches:

Finnegan's at Universal
Thunder Falls cafe at IOA
Lombard's landing at Universal
Mythos at IOA
Nathans at Universal

Dinners:

Emeril's at CW
Latin Quarter at CW
The Kitchen at HRH
Mama Della at PBH
Mythos at IOA (depending on time of year) they my be closed
Margaritaville Lunch or dinner - fun good food in the same vein Bubba Gumps!

Wow Jessica! Thanks for such a great list!!!:thumbsup2 I love that you made all the breakfast suggestions. We never know what we want to do and love to have some different options. Sometimes I like a full breakfast and somedays just to grab something.

I'm also interested in knowing about recommendations at Emerils too. I would love to try both of his places, but would love to hear a review or sorts.

Another vote for Tchoup Chop. DH & I have dined there half a dozen or so times and have always enjoyed our meals. We usually get the price fix/chef tasting type of dinner, sometimes with wine pairings; sometimes with Mai Tais.

We tried Emeril's last year and were severely disappointed. No one in our group enjoyed their meal enough to go back. We were at Citywalk a few weeks ago, and at 8:30 p.m., on a weeknight, we didn't see one person eating in Emeril's.

For sit-down lunches at IOA, our favorites are Mythos and Confisco's.
For sit-down lunches at Universal, Finnegan's, hands down. The Lombard's place was okay. I'm a Floridian and used to very fresh fish. Lombard's reminded me of chain restaurant fish, like Red Lobster or Carrabbas.

Dinners we've enjoyed at Citywalk were at O'Briens, Latin Quarter and NBA City. We're not into basketball at all, but the pastas are amazing at NBA, as are the ribs. Hard Rock and Bubba Gumps are okay -- very much like an Applebee's quality, IMO. I'd avoid Margaritaville like the plague. Loud inside, dirt cheap food quality and terrible service (I'm speaking as a foodie, as you titled the thread).

If you really want a seriously good meal and you have transportation, check out the Ravenous Pig just south of town. You can book through Opentable.

Another vote for Tchoup Chop. DH & I have dined there half a dozen or so times and have always enjoyed our meals. We usually get the price fix/chef tasting type of dinner, sometimes with wine pairings; sometimes with Mai Tais.

We tried Emeril's last year and were severely disappointed. No one in our group enjoyed their meal enough to go back. We were at Citywalk a few weeks ago, and at 8:30 p.m., on a weeknight, we didn't see one person eating in Emeril's.

For sit-down lunches at IOA, our favorites are Mythos and Confisco's.
For sit-down lunches at Universal, Finnegan's, hands down. The Lombard's place was okay. I'm a Floridian and used to very fresh fish. Lombard's reminded me of chain restaurant fish, like Red Lobster or Carrabbas.

Dinners we've enjoyed at Citywalk were at O'Briens, Latin Quarter and NBA City. We're not into basketball at all, but the pastas are amazing at NBA, as are the ribs. Hard Rock and Bubba Gumps are okay -- very much like an Applebee's quality, IMO. I'd avoid Margaritaville like the plague. Loud inside, dirt cheap food quality and terrible service (I'm speaking as a foodie, as you titled the thread).

If you really want a seriously good meal and you have transportation, check out the Ravenous Pig just south of town. You can book through Opentable.

Thanks for all your recommendations!:thumbsup2

Tchoup Chop is probably a certain on our list too, so thats good to know.

Finnegans sounds like a must do from almost everyone which is also good to know because my son loves Irish pub style food. Whats the best thing to order when we go?

The Ravenous Pig? :rotfl2: Do they have a website? We will be driving and don't mind going outside of the parks, so this is a possibility.

Finnegans sounds like a must do from almost everyone which is also good to know because my son loves Irish pub style food. Whats the best thing to order when we go?

The Ravenous Pig? :rotfl2: Do they have a website? We will be driving and don't mind going outside of the parks, so this is a possibility.
At Finnegan's I like the Bangers and Mash and really enjoy the Shepard's Pie but everything is good.

Here's the website for TRP: http://www.theravenouspig.com/

Tchop Chop is a must.

I would skip Emeril's Orlando I was not impressed at all the last several times.
We have had average food and one time we had a really bad waitress who is still there.

Also at RPR the Island dining room is very good for dinner and breakfast. Order off the menu, not the buffet.

Finnegan's is very good as well as Mythos. After eating at the very average places in Disney these places are a surprise.

Pat Obrien's is not bad, but I wish they had a crawfish boil. You have to try it just for the fresh hot beignets.
Don’t get the beignet Sunday, but the bag of beignets. We made that mistake once.

Gelato and pizza at PBH is also a very good option. The Gelato shop is only open at certain times though.

Overall I found the food much better at Universal than Disney.
Disney has been VERY disappointing for the last few years.

At Finnegan's I like the Bangers and Mash and really enjoy the Shepard's Pie but everything is good.

Here's the website for TRP: http://www.theravenouspig.com/
Shepards Pie...yum!:goodvibes ThanKs for the link, I'll go check it out now.

Tchop Chop is a must.

I would skip Emeril's Orlando I was not impressed at all the last several times.
We have had average food and one time we had a really bad waitress who is still there.

Also at RPR the Island dining room is very good for dinner and breakfast. Order off the menu, not the buffet.

Finnegan's is very good as well as Mythos. After eating at the very average places in Disney these places are a surprise.

Pat Obrien's is not bad, but I wish they had a crawfish boil. You have to try it just for the fresh hot beignets.
Don’t get the beignet Sunday, but the bag of beignets. We made that mistake once.

Gelato and pizza at PBH is also a very good option. The Gelato shop is only open at certain times though.

Overall I found the food much better at Universal than Disney.
Disney has been VERY disappointing for the last few years.

Thanks for the suggestions, Tchoup chop is on the list for sure now.:goodvibes

So what is the difference between beignet Sunday and the regular beignets? I will be sure to get these because Hubby and I both love them!:love:

Shepards Pie...yum!:goodvibes ThanKs for the link, I'll go check it out now.

Thanks for the suggestions, Tchoup chop is on the list for sure now.:goodvibes

So what is the difference between beignet Sunday and the regular beignets? I will be sure to get these because Hubby and I both love them!:love:

The beignet sunday is an ice cream sunday with one beignet.
The ice cream sunday is not all the impressive and you will want more of the beignets.

Similar family make up -- 2 adults + 2 boys. We loved the breakfast buffet at Trattoria del Porto at PBH. But I recall being disappointed by the hours on one visit so you will want to check when they serve the buffet. We would stroll over in the morning from the HRH.

We also always make a point of going to both Emeril's and Tschoup Tschoup (sp??). Each is the favorite of one son and not well liked by the other and vice versa.

We also like Tony Roma's for ribs on International Dr. and for a burger and shake we hit Steak N Shake. Never a big fan of the in-park dining.

Similar family make up -- 2 adults + 2 boys. We loved the breakfast buffet at Trattoria del Porto at PBH. But I recall being disappointed by the hours on one visit so you will want to check when they serve the buffet. We would stroll over in the morning from the HRH.

We also always make a point of going to both Emeril's and Tschoup Tschoup (sp??). Each is the favorite of one son and not well liked by the other and vice versa.

We also like Tony Roma's for ribs on International Dr. and for a burger and shake we hit Steak N Shake. Never a big fan of the in-park dining.

Good suggestions and I appreciate them. We seem to have the same issue with not being able to please everyone in our group either. I like to let everyone pick at least one of the dining location per trip so we all get something we like.:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter