• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OK folks...seriously

Ok, with that information it's a different story. However, there are cases where it might be helpful even for an adult to have a security item, whether it's doll or a stuffie or whatever. I was thinking of something like a person who had suffered some sort of trauma and new places freaked them out so they needed that familiar thing to feel better. In a case like that, hang whatever looks they get, if they need it to feel better mentally, they should have it. That's what I think of in cases like this, that there is a reason that I'm unaware of that the person needs to have the item. And again, it's not hurting anyone.

Don't you see the irony in telling others that what they do is not hurting you but then you did the same thing when I was talking about somebody I know and you jumped to conclusions that my stopping her action was so sad.

We have a Pal Mickey that we plan to take back into the parks. On our last trip we won a few things at AK and had to carry them around the rest of the day, and yes I did have a little fun with it. The turtle went in the back pack, but had his head poking out so he could look around (OK, maybe he wouldn't fit all the way in and that was the only way to get the zipper mostly closed :rotfl: ) We also won a frog and there was no way he was going to fit, so we tied his legs around the handle of the back pack on top. It looked like they were watching people as we walked around.

One other time on a family trip to Washington DC, DD (then 6 or 7) had a summer project checked out from our local library that worked perfectly. It was an alien stuffed doll named Skoobit and we took it with to the White House and took pictures outside with him. When she returned it to the library she made a little booklet of his travels and included the White House pic with a quote saying "Take me to your Leader". :lmao: We also have pics of Skoobit at the Air and Space Museum The library got such a kick out of the booklet that they put it up on display.

I said it didn't affect my enjoyment of anything. I just think its weird. It IS possible to still enjoy myself and think something is strange.

I have taken my stuffed elephant for the past 10 years. He was a gift from my then DF, now DH. I took him with me the first time because I missed DF and so he was a little piece of him there. I thought it would be cute to get a picture with him on Dumbo and with Mickey at Disneyland. While I was in line for Dumbo, the CM asked how many and I said one, and she said, no I think you mean two and gave the feather they use for boarding to the elephant. Then when I was in the Mickey line, someone saw him and thought it was such a cute idea they were going to bring their bunny next time. Mickey played with him, and later Daisy grabbed him and tossed him into the air. I had never had so much character interaction as I did that day.

Now I take him all the time, and I definitely notice a change with the CMs when I have him visible and when I don't. We don't have kids so the only time we get special attention, is when I have Mr. Elephant out and about. It seems to be a signal to the CMs that we aren't stuffy adults, we like to have a good time too. The characters take that extra 10 seconds to dance/wave, etc. instead of "hello, pose, goodbye."

Disney is supposed to be a place where the kid at heart can come out and play, isn't it?

Awesome Post :goodvibes Yes DisneyWorld is a place to have fun and I am glad that you had fun in DisneyWorld with your Stuffed Animal Elephant :goodvibes

Reminds me of the episode of Will & Grace where Jack had the Cher doll...

cherdoll.jpg
doll3.jpg
doll4.jpg

Can't say I blame him...I love Cher as much as the next gay man...

I think the real issue is what the role of social norms should play in society, and whether those norms apply evenly to everyone. And, additionally, whether using dolls/stuffed animals in place of companions or as comforts in public is considered within that norm.

Regarding the first point...for example, I, as a normally functioning adult, *could* go to the mall dressed in clown pants, a tutu, a western vest, and a top hat. I certainly wouldn't be hurting anyone, but that get-up would be outside the bounds of what society in general would call "normal" everyday clothing.

However, what if I was not able to function at a so-called "normal" level (whether it be due to developmental delay, mental illness, or other reason)? And what if dressing in that manner made me feel better? Would it be better for those who care for me to allow me to dress in this manner, or to guide me towards something that is more socialy approrpriate?

Frankly, I'm not sure of the answer. However, I do believe that if I had a child, family member, or friend like that, my gut would tell me to help them find a more socially appropriate means.

As for using dolls/stuffed animals as comforts or companions in public places, I think that is outside the realm of socially "normal" behavior. (FTR, taking silly pics of one as a joke is not included in this category to me.)

Uh no. First, I think it's a little on the odd side. Second, I have six kids and a husband to keep track of....I certainly don't need a doll or stuffed animal to keep track of too!! :rotfl:

I took Action Figure Jesus one trip. He has wheels.

Was that weird? :confused3

A lot of people have a little token they carry around with them, an item that makes them smile or reminds them of something they love. That's all good. It's when that item takes the place of real relationships that it becomes harmful. Does it harm others? No, but it emotionally stunts the person with the abnormal attachment.

Says who? :rotfl:

It's entirely possible that the "lovie" that person carries around with them HELPS them socialize and behave in a more "normal" manner.

This is a little twisted but here goes. I used to work in NYC when I was much younger. We had a boss who looked like a Ken doll whom we all despised.:rolleyes: Anywho, there were a group of us that had an actual Ken doll and he always came to lunch with us so we could tell him off. We had so much fun with that darn doll. Told him every thing we thought of him:rolleyes1 Well one day he really pissed off this one guy and we took Ken and put him out the street and watched him get run over by a bus, then we walked him down to the subway and sprinkled body parts over the tracks.:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Boy it felt so good.

Disclaimer- I would never do such horrible things now. It was back in the
80s when things were a little different;)

I think it is cool when they take it all around to take its picture in all those places - we do that with DD9's armadillo - but I think it is cool for adults. Sort of like how someone took a lawn ornament and took pics of it travelling. I think of it more as a mascot than a "companion". I mean we don't talk to it or anything - we just take him out of the backpack when an interesting photo op presents itself - and we also did the photo where he is sticking out of the dinos mouth!!!!!

I think it's sad that our society has so little compassion that we feel the need to begrudge such simple pleasures.

I hate to admit it, but I would simply assume (not in a bad way) that someone who carried inanimate objects with them and interacted with them in what "normal" people would consider "abnormal" is probably someone of diminished mental capabilities.

The next step is to count my blessings and be happy for the joy they are able to garner from something so harmless.

:hippie:

I have no clue, but maybe their loved ones decided to pick their battles, and allowing them to carry on in such a manner, as far as we know, is the lesser of many "evils".

I sometimes take pal mickey, and ive taken my hamster with me, I carry him in my shorts pocket, I love when people turn around to look at my shorts.

heres a picture of him in the car at pofq

45121a63.jpg

and heres mr emu on his way to WDW
100_1336.jpg

I sometimes take pal mickey, and ive taken my hamster with me, I carry him in my shorts pocket, I love when people turn around to look at my shorts.

heres a picture of him in the car at pofq

45121a63.jpg

and heres mr emu on his way to WDW
100_1336.jpg

Awesome Photos :)

Here is a Photo of my little Norway doll in DisneyWorld :wizard: :cloud9: Her name is Ollie :hug:

4thofJulyDisneyPhotos2007025.jpg

I hate to admit it, but I would simply assume (not in a bad way) that someone who carried inanimate objects with them and interacted with them in what "normal" people would consider "abnormal" is probably someone of diminished mental capabilities.

I would agree with this but it seems to me that persons on this board who often post photos and stories of their adventures with said objects have very good photographic skills and verbal/typing skills. I assume (yeah, I know) this might not be the case if there were disabilities involved. This makes me feel some persons are seeking attention for this specialness and seem to be wanting to create disputes among other board members who aren't as supportive as others. It works very well as there are often posts that people can offer support on and sometimes even express disbelief.

I tend to avoid those posts. I question the reason for them and the purpose of the poster. JMHO.

So, if you wish to post these things, that is not against board policies. I tend to avoid opening posts by certain persons. :confused3

There are some posters like who like to post about dolls and stuffed animals, because they just love dolls and stuffed animals. Just because these posters like dolls and stuffed animals that does not mean they are a troll or that they have mental problems and all that.

Now some people will say that I am a troll, because I keep posting about the things that I enjoy even though I get bashed for posting about the things that I enjoy. But I am not a troll. I don't like it when people bash me, but I don't let people push me around :) I have a very strong mind and I am not going to let people stop me from being happy and I am not going to let people walk all over me :goodvibes So I am going to keep posting about the things that I enjoy even if I get bashed for it :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter